"Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
news:_9udnYDvVZkO9b7cRVn-pA@giganews.com...
> Carla A-G wrote:
> > "Doki" <doki@spamtroNspidar.com> wrote in message

> >>Is that an Aztec?
> >>

> > Aztec? What is an Aztec? I have no idea what you're talking about...
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> I think he meant your car. It looks like a Honda Element to me.
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

Yes, it is a Honda Element.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
post #17 of 53

Re: FS bike for smaller rider

Carla A-G wrote:

> "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
>
>>Carla A-G wrote:
>>
>>>"Doki" <doki@spamtroNspidar.com> wrote in message

>>>Aztec? What is an Aztec? I have no idea what you're talking about...
>>>
>>>- CA-G
>>>
>>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>>

>>I think he meant your car. It looks like a Honda Element to me.
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

> Yes, it is a Honda Element.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

It's on my short list. I like the versatility of it. How do you like
it? Do you tie down your bikes inside? Did you ever wash the inside
like they say you can?

Sorry if this is OT, I don't know anyone with one.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

O/T: Honda Element (was: FS bike for smaller rider)

> It's on my short list. I like the versatility of it. How do you like
> it? Do you tie down your bikes inside? Did you ever wash the inside
> like they say you can?
>
> Sorry if this is OT, I don't know anyone with one.

I must say, it is an awesome little truck and very utilitarian. Great on
gas, looks smallish on the outside but its very roomy inside. We took the
5-speed manual option and it drives excellent through rough conditions. The
rear suicide doors are a cool attraction when we open up the doors in a
parking lot or at the trailhead. We had a very small problem with an oil
leak when we first got the vehicle, but Honda fixed it, and we've never had
any problems since (knock on wood).

Sometimes we take the bikes inside, but most of the time we just use the
hitch mount bike rack (Thule's rock!), its less of a hassle, just go to the
trailhead, take the bikes off the rack and go ride. We haven't attempted to
hose the inside of the car yet, but yes, it is do-able. A friend of ours has
the same truck and that's how he keeps it clean. Just be careful with the
electronics if you have a nice boom-boom system in there.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
post #19 of 53

Re: FS bike for smaller rider

Carla A-G wrote:

> The usenet is about opinions, lies and b/s

BS, that's a lie.

Bill "IMO, of course" S.

post #20 of 53

Re: O/T: Honda Element

Carla A-G wrote:

> "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
>
>>It's on my short list. I like the versatility of it. How do you like
>>it? Do you tie down your bikes inside? Did you ever wash the inside
>>like they say you can?
>>
>>Sorry if this is OT, I don't know anyone with one.

> I must say, it is an awesome little truck and very utilitarian. Great on
> gas, looks smallish on the outside but its very roomy inside. We took the
> 5-speed manual option and it drives excellent through rough conditions. The
> rear suicide doors are a cool attraction when we open up the doors in a
> parking lot or at the trailhead. We had a very small problem with an oil
> leak when we first got the vehicle, but Honda fixed it, and we've never had
> any problems since (knock on wood).
>
> Sometimes we take the bikes inside, but most of the time we just use the
> hitch mount bike rack (Thule's rock!), its less of a hassle, just go to the
> trailhead, take the bikes off the rack and go ride. We haven't attempted to
> hose the inside of the car yet, but yes, it is do-able. A friend of ours has
> the same truck and that's how he keeps it clean. Just be careful with the
> electronics if you have a nice boom-boom system in there.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Thanks for the info! My wife hates it, but it's for me so that's too
bad. I do like the amount of space and especially the height clearance
it affords the vertically challenged like us. I was almost standing
straight up in it at the dealer. It might not even be that bad to camp
in. Cool. I'm even more convinced now.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Re: O/T: Honda Element

Ride-A-Lot wrote (of Carla's Car Comments):

> Thanks for the info! My wife hates it, but it's for me so that's too
> bad. I do like the amount of space and especially the height
> clearance it affords the vertically challenged like us. I was almost
> standing straight up in it at the dealer. It might not even be that
> bad to camp in. Cool. I'm even more convinced now.

And, you can always tell people that Adolph Hitler personally designed it!

<eg>

Bill "hate to admit, but they're growing on me a bit, too" S.
post #22 of 53

Re: O/T: Honda Element

> Carla A-G wrote:
>
> > "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
> >
> >>It's on my short list. I like the versatility of it. How do you like
> >>it? Do you tie down your bikes inside? Did you ever wash the inside
> >>like they say you can?
> >>
> >>Sorry if this is OT, I don't know anyone with one.

> > I must say, it is an awesome little truck and very utilitarian. Great on
> > gas, looks smallish on the outside but its very roomy inside. We took

the
> > 5-speed manual option and it drives excellent through rough conditions.

The
> > rear suicide doors are a cool attraction when we open up the doors in a
> > parking lot or at the trailhead. We had a very small problem with an oil
> > leak when we first got the vehicle, but Honda fixed it, and we've never

had
> > any problems since (knock on wood).
> >
> > Sometimes we take the bikes inside, but most of the time we just use the
> > hitch mount bike rack (Thule's rock!), its less of a hassle, just go to

the
> > trailhead, take the bikes off the rack and go ride. We haven't attempted

> > hose the inside of the car yet, but yes, it is do-able. A friend of ours

has
> > the same truck and that's how he keeps it clean. Just be careful with

the
> > electronics if you have a nice boom-boom system in there.
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> Thanks for the info! My wife hates it, but it's for me so that's too
> bad. I do like the amount of space and especially the height clearance
> it affords the vertically challenged like us. I was almost standing
> straight up in it at the dealer. It might not even be that bad to camp
> in. Cool. I'm even more convinced now.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

It is great to sleep in and use as a camping vehicle because you can
configure the seats and everything inside to make it comfortable and roomy
enough to sleep in.

*Just a word of warning tho, be very, very, very careful if attempting to
hose down the inside. It is just like a regular car with wiring all
throughout it. We haven't attempted it for that reason, it could wind up in
a costly mistake if water winds up where it isn't supposed to be, but I
wouldn't recommend it, Honda does not endorse it either.*

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
post #23 of 53

Re: O/T: Honda Element

"Carla A-G" <khsgrl@NOJUNKyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
> > Carla A-G wrote:
> >
> > > "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message

> > > I must say, it is an awesome little truck and very utilitarian. Great

on
> > > gas, looks smallish on the outside but its very roomy inside. We took

> the
> > > 5-speed manual option and it drives excellent through rough

conditions.
> The
> > > rear suicide doors are a cool attraction when we open up the doors in

> > > parking lot or at the trailhead. We had a very small problem with an

oil
> > > leak when we first got the vehicle, but Honda fixed it, and we've

never
> had
> > > any problems since (knock on wood).
> > >
> > > Sometimes we take the bikes inside, but most of the time we just use

the
> > > hitch mount bike rack (Thule's rock!), its less of a hassle, just go

> the
> > > trailhead, take the bikes off the rack and go ride. We haven't

attempted
> > > hose the inside of the car yet, but yes, it is do-able. A friend of

ours
> has
> > > the same truck and that's how he keeps it clean. Just be careful with

> the
> > > electronics if you have a nice boom-boom system in there.
> > >
> > > - CA-G
> > >
> > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> > >

> > Thanks for the info! My wife hates it, but it's for me so that's too
> > bad. I do like the amount of space and especially the height clearance
> > it affords the vertically challenged like us. I was almost standing
> > straight up in it at the dealer. It might not even be that bad to camp
> > in. Cool. I'm even more convinced now.
> >
> > --
> > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

> It is great to sleep in and use as a camping vehicle because you can
> configure the seats and everything inside to make it comfortable and roomy
> enough to sleep in.
>
> *Just a word of warning tho, be very, very, very careful if attempting to
> hose down the inside. It is just like a regular car with wiring all
> throughout it. We haven't attempted it for that reason, it could wind up

in
> a costly mistake if water winds up where it isn't supposed to be, but I
> wouldn't recommend it, Honda does not endorse it either.*
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Here is a link regarding this issue, Jim provided it (the Element is his
daily driving vehicle, he knows more about it than me):

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ghlight=hosing

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
post #24 of 53

Re: O/T: Honda Element

Carla A-G wrote:
> "Carla A-G" <khsgrl@NOJUNKyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Ride-A-Lot" <mitchellNOSPAM@schnauzers.ws> wrote in message

> on

>>the

> conditions.
>
>>The

> oil

> never
>
>>had

> the

>>the

> attempted

> ours
>
>>has

>>the

>>>Thanks for the info! My wife hates it, but it's for me so that's too
>>>bad. I do like the amount of space and especially the height clearance
>>>it affords the vertically challenged like us. I was almost standing
>>>straight up in it at the dealer. It might not even be that bad to camp
>>>in. Cool. I'm even more convinced now.
>>>
>>>--
>>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

>>It is great to sleep in and use as a camping vehicle because you can
>>configure the seats and everything inside to make it comfortable and roomy
>>enough to sleep in.
>>
>>*Just a word of warning tho, be very, very, very careful if attempting to
>>hose down the inside. It is just like a regular car with wiring all
>>throughout it. We haven't attempted it for that reason, it could wind up

> in
>
>>a costly mistake if water winds up where it isn't supposed to be, but I
>>wouldn't recommend it, Honda does not endorse it either.*
>>
>>- CA-G
>>
>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> Here is a link regarding this issue, Jim provided it (the Element is his
> daily driving vehicle, he knows more about it than me):
>
> http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ghlight=hosing
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ahh, gotcha. Well at least I won't have to worry about the mud getting
on carpets. My current car (Grand-Am) is basically a ****-box right now
with all the mud and sand. It's mostly because I have to stand on the
back seat to get the bikes on the roof rack. And, because I am lazy and
don't take off my mtb shoes first, they get nice and cleaned off on the
seats.
--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Re: O/T: Honda Element

Jeesh, people, snipping is good!

On 2004-08-18, Ride-A-Lot penned:

> Ahh, gotcha. Well at least I won't have to worry about the mud getting on
> carpets. My current car (Grand-Am) is basically a ****-box right now with
> all the mud and sand. It's mostly because I have to stand on the back seat
> to get the bikes on the roof rack. And, because I am lazy and don't take off
> my mtb shoes first, they get nice and cleaned off on the seats.

I bet a towel could help that situation immensely =P Just put an old towel or
bedsheet on the seats .... et voila!

Turns out that my need to put the bike racks to the outside of the mounts has
practical advantages, too. It's a *lot* easier for me to lift the bike off
the rack when I don't have to reach out as well as up. No need for
seat-standing or any such thing.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
post #26 of 53

Re: O/T: Honda Element

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> Jeesh, people, snipping is good!
>

> On 2004-08-18, Ride-A-Lot penned:
>
>>Ahh, gotcha. Well at least I won't have to worry about the mud getting on
>>carpets. My current car (Grand-Am) is basically a ****-box right now with
>>all the mud and sand. It's mostly because I have to stand on the back seat
>>to get the bikes on the roof rack. And, because I am lazy and don't take off
>>my mtb shoes first, they get nice and cleaned off on the seats.

> I bet a towel could help that situation immensely =P Just put an old towel or
> bedsheet on the seats .... et voila!

You want me to remember to put a towel down? I usually have to turn
back halfway down the road to get my water bottle.

> Turns out that my need to put the bike racks to the outside of the mounts has
> practical advantages, too. It's a *lot* easier for me to lift the bike off
> the rack when I don't have to reach out as well as up. No need for
> seat-standing or any such thing.

How tall are you? I am only 5'5" with a short reach. My racks are as
close to the outside as I can get and I still need to reach.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Re: O/T: Honda Element

On 2004-08-18, Ride-A-Lot penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
>> I bet a towel could help that situation immensely =P Just put an old towel
>> or bedsheet on the seats .... et voila!

> You want me to remember to put a towel down? I usually have to turn back
> halfway down the road to get my water bottle.

No, I want you to leave a towel on the seat! If you never drive around
with passengers in the back seat, it won't matter. If you do, then
they'll certainly appreciate a removeable mud-caked towel over mud-caked
seats.

>> Turns out that my need to put the bike racks to the outside of the mounts
>> has practical advantages, too. It's a *lot* easier for me to lift the bike
>> off the rack when I don't have to reach out as well as up. No need for
>> seat-standing or any such thing.

> How tall are you? I am only 5'5" with a short reach. My racks are as close
> to the outside as I can get and I still need to reach.

I'm 5'5; no idea how my reach compares. I got the 58" bars because the
48" ones didn't let me open the hatch once the trays were in place. (As
it turns out, I've since seen other, taller arrangements that do allow
the hatch to open, but this works as long as I don't need more than two
bikes on the roof.) I was pleasantly surprised at the difference the longer
bars make. I've dinged Eric's roof before, and it turns out that's because
it's a lot harder to reach out and up than just up. (He, being 6', hadn't
ever had to deal with this issue and just figured I was weak/inept. Sigh.)

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
post #28 of 53

Re: O/T: Honda Element (was: FS bike for smaller rider)

Carla A-G (All-Terrain Gal) sez:

>I must say, it is an awesome little truck and very utilitarian.

We've been really tempted. What about the 4WD or AWD aspect and the
ground clearance? We've been venturing more and more offroad lately and
feel that even our Outback Sport may be a little low.

Thanks for the feedback Can-Am girl.

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO

Re: FS bike for smaller rider

Dave wrote:
>> I would agree with Carla, WSD is a marketing ploy, very little more.
>> Titus makes very small Racer X 80's, just got one for the Mrs., a
>> small and she is 5'4". They make 2 sizes smaller than that. Then
>> just get a saddle she likes, adjust the stem length to work for her,
>> perhaps a layback seatpost or one with no offset. But most
>> importantly, you need a shock and fork that can be set light enough
>> for her, I prefer air shocks. If she is lightweight, most stock
>> springs will be too stiff for her.

> I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but there's something to be
> said about a frame that's has the tubing designed with a lower
> weight-limit. When shopping for a bike for my wife, the last thing we
> needed was something built to take the punishment of a 170lb XC
> racer. We ended up going with a size M Juliana and she loves it. It's
> a nice smooth ride and the TT is short, which accomodates her build
> very well. She's not short at 5'7" but with long legs and a short
> torso, most bikes have a TT that is just too long for her preference.
>
> Sure WSD is clever marketing, but it fits the bill for a lot of women
> out there. I wouldn't rule it out, nor would I confine someone's
> choices to a WSD frame.

WSD is maybe good thing, IF it works for someone and they've made an
educated decision.. The OP sounded like he
hadn't even considered anything
but WSD, and the way he describes the female she sounded like the wrong
physique. What I object to is the assumption that WSD is where you start
and end when bike shopping for a female. In my experience there's a
certain condescending attitude among some lbs guys... you walk in the door
looking for a mtb, and without even taking measurements they point you to
WSD, whether it's the best choice for you personally or not. This happened
to me in three different bike shops.To me, that's just bs...This is why I
believe in doing a little homework.. just
what is WSD anyway? Would I be better off with something different and
changing out the saddle and handle bars instead? Do I like the component
package?
Is this the best value for my $$?

2¢ as usual
penny
post #30 of 53

Re: FS bike for smaller rider

Dave wrote:
>> I would agree with Carla, WSD is a marketing ploy, very little more.
>> Titus makes very small Racer X 80's, just got one for the Mrs., a
>> small and she is 5'4". They make 2 sizes smaller than that. Then
>> just get a saddle she likes, adjust the stem length to work for her,
>> perhaps a layback seatpost or one with no offset. But most
>> importantly, you need a shock and fork that can be set light enough
>> for her, I prefer air shocks. If she is lightweight, most stock
>> springs will be too stiff for her.

> I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but there's something to be
> said about a frame that's has the tubing designed with a lower
> weight-limit. When shopping for a bike for my wife, the last thing we
> needed was something built to take the punishment of a 170lb XC
> racer. We ended up going with a size M Juliana and she loves it. It's
> a nice smooth ride and the TT is short, which accomodates her build
> very well. She's not short at 5'7" but with long legs and a short
> torso, most bikes have a TT that is just too long for her preference.
>
> Sure WSD is clever marketing, but it fits the bill for a lot of women
> out there. I wouldn't rule it out, nor would I confine someone's
> choices to a WSD frame.

WSD is maybe good thing, IF it works for someone and they've made an
educated decision.. The OP sounded like he
hadn't even considered anything
but WSD, and the way he describes the female she sounded like the wrong
physique. What I object to is the assumption that WSD is where you start
and end when bike shopping for a female. In my experience there's a
certain condescending attitude among some lbs guys... you walk in the door
looking for a mtb, and without even taking measurements they point you to
WSD, whether it's the best choice for you personally or not. This happened
to me in three different bike shops.To me, that's just bs...This is why I
believe in doing a little homework.. just
what is WSD anyway? Would I be better off with something different and
changing out the saddle and handle bars instead? Do I like the component
package?
Is this the best value for my $$?

2¢ as usual
penny