RR: French Creek

Ctg

Guest
Went for a ride at French Creek for the first time since fall due to all the rain. The trails vary
between wide hiking trails and singletrack. It used to be the charcoal producing woods for a
revolutionary war furnace that is adjacent to the park.

Went up the Boone trail, a climb of about a mile or two that is technical, starts out rooty

http://www.chrisgroff.com/rooty.jpg

then gets rocky

http://www.chrisgroff.com/rocky.jpg

then just gets a little of everything

http://www.chrisgroff.com/rootyrocky.jpg

there are many waterbars that mostly serve as erosion stops since it's a poorly routed trail,
straight uphill. Some are rideable, some are not

http://www.chrisgroff.com/waterbar.jpg

There's a set of stairs that look quite easy but they kill me. My back tire spins out every time,
can't get up more than just a few, will keep trying.

http://www.chrisgroff.com/nemesis.jpg

One of two critter sightings, also saw a doe and a couple of fawns but it was too dark to
get any shots

http://www.chrisgroff.com/toad.jpg

Finally lets out to some smooth singletrack

http://www.chrisgroff.com/ferny.jpg

Uhh, yeah, I walked this

http://www.chrisgroff.com/nemesis2.jpg

Then I was let down at the first of several severely dameged areas on the trail

http://www.chrisgroff.com/idiots.jpg

How hard is it to understand that riding wet trails, and riding OFF wet

straight, maybe you should have stayed off the trails idiots. There were several more like this,
basically dry now, but severely rutted and ridiculously wide. Probably the same assholes who left
all the tops of their goo packs all over the trail. Used to be one of my favorite rides, now I don't
think I'll be back for a while...

Chris

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Went for a ride at French Creek for the first time since fall due to all the rain. The trails vary
> between wide hiking trails and singletrack. It used to be the charcoal producing woods for a
> revolutionary war furnace that is adjacent to the park.
>
> Went up the Boone trail, a climb of about a mile or two that is technical, starts out rooty
>
> http://www.chrisgroff.com/rooty.jpg

Looks easy.

> then gets rocky
>
> http://www.chrisgroff.com/rocky.jpg

A little tougher.

> then just gets a little of everything
>
> http://www.chrisgroff.com/rootyrocky.jpg

That looks fun!

> snip< There's a set of stairs that look quite easy but they kill me. My back tire spins out every
> time, can't get up more than just a few, will keep trying.
>
> http://www.chrisgroff.com/nemesis.jpg

Just trying to keep enough momentum would be hard.

> snip< Uhh, yeah, I walked this
>
> http://www.chrisgroff.com/nemesis2.jpg

Ah, c'mon!

> Then I was let down at the first of several severely dameged areas on the trail
>
> http://www.chrisgroff.com/idiots.jpg
>
> How hard is it to understand that riding wet trails, and riding OFF wet

I had to get on some of my friends a few times for doing that. Hikers are the worst for braiding
trails, lets not add to it. Besides, it's not a good ride if you don't get muddy.

>snip< Used to be one of my favorite rides, now I don't think I'll be back for a while...

Looks like fun, though. Where's it at?

--
Cameron