Shimano front derailleur compatibility?

Ken Kobayashi

Guest
Hi,

I'm confused about front derailleur compatibility. The Shimano catalog lists two categories of road
derailleurs, "drop bar" (normal road bikes?) and "flat handlebar" (hybrid bike?) derailleurs. Are
the two incompatible? If so, which one is compatible with Shimano MTB shifters and SRAM "Shimano
compatible" shifters?

AFAIK the flat bar version is the one which allows the use of a road chainset with a big ring around
the 52T mark, with MTB-stylee shifters such as twist-grip jobbies and Rabidfires. drop bar ones are
designed to work with STI shifters, which pull a different amount of cable IIRC.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I have a Tiagra front derailer that worked fine with both SRAM 9.0 twist shifter and Shimano Rapid
Fire shifters. I think all thier front derailers use the same cable pull the difference is how the
shifter is configured. Rear derailers are a different story.

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm confused about front derailleur compatibility. The Shimano catalog lists two categories of
> road derailleurs, "drop bar" (normal road bikes?) and "flat handlebar" (hybrid bike?) derailleurs.
> Are the two incompatible? If so, which one is compatible with Shimano MTB shifters and SRAM
> "Shimano compatible" shifters?
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

You might want to check out Sheldon Brown's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front

Rick Moll