or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How tight should cycling shorts be

post #1 of 8
"Brian" <Brianinnes81NOSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns954EC33F8A0C0Brianinnesgmxnet@130.133.1.4...
> Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.
>
> Initially bought a pair of large size Halfords own brand last week, seem

> fit OK.
>
> Bought a pair of Endura 6 panel shorts today, tried L on in the shop,
> seemed too tight, so I bought an XL, but trying them on at home they are a
> bit baggy.
>
> Normally take size 34" waist trousers.
>
> Hopefully be able to exchange the shorts for another size. Just not sure
> how tight the shorts should be.
>

> --
> Brian

Ignore all reference to sizing or size comparisons with cycle clothing - it
makes no sense at all! I think you will find that cycling shorts will be
more comfortable on the "tightish" side - bear in mind that the Lycra gives
and eventually starts to "slacken" with age (ask a woman about Lycra
swimsuits, they "bag" after a while ... or at least that's what my wife told
me!)

The ONLY answer is to try them on in a shop.

RG
post #2 of 8

Re: How tight should cycling shorts be

Brian wrote:

> Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.

As tight as you can tolerate. Lycra shorts that are at all baggy won't
provide enough support up-front, can slip down, pad can be positioned
wrongly, and the backside can even snag on the saddle nose when you go to
sit back & down.

8-panel shorts fit a little better than 6-panel. I'm very pleased with
Lusso 8-Pro from Wiggle (better quality than the Endura equiv.), in a size
smaller than I've ever worn before with other brands.

~PB
post #3 of 8

Brian wrote:

>> As tight as you can tolerate. Lycra shorts that are at all baggy
>> won't provide enough support up-front, can slip down, pad can be
>> positioned wrongly, and the backside can even snag on the saddle nose
>> when you go to sit back & down.

> Which could be rather embarrasing!

"Ooh look dear, full moon tonight", says the passenger in the car behind
you as the lights turn green.

~PB
post #4 of 8

Re: How tight should cycling shorts be

Greetings,

lardy as I am, I'm somewhat insulted by certain Italien brands that list
their XL as being a 28" waist! I hate to think what my 36" tyre would be
considered as!

Go with what is comfortable, whilst still tight enough to offer support.
Remember, they will stretch with use and a few washes, so don't be too put
off by any restrictions on the first ride. I always go for bibs; they seem
to be more comfortable as they don't bisect my lard!

T.T.F.N.

SPENNY
"Brian" <Brianinnes81NOSPAM@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just wondering how tight lycra cycling shorts should be.
>
> Initially bought a pair of large size Halfords own brand last week, seem

> fit OK.
>
> Bought a pair of Endura 6 panel shorts today, tried L on in the shop,
> seemed too tight, so I bought an XL, but trying them on at home they are a
> bit baggy.
>
> Normally take size 34" waist trousers.
>
> Hopefully be able to exchange the shorts for another size. Just not sure
> how tight the shorts should be.
>

> --
> Brian
post #5 of 8

Re: How tight should cycling shorts be

At a rough guess you should be able to get them off without assistance!
post #6 of 8

Re: How tight should cycling shorts be

Just zis Guy, you know? <outlook.bugs@microsoft.com> wrote:

: I am anything but corpulent, but XXL is the smallest Italian size
: which will fit me. Obviously designed for extra extra large Italian
: midgets.

The joys of sizing!

I've made the happy discovery that whoever sizes Endura clothes is
exactly the same size as me. S for tops, M for shorts. Fit perfectly.
So that's me sorted.

An Italian size 4 top is about the same as an Endura S, so who knows
who the sizes 1 + 2 are ment to fit! I'm not exactly Mr. Atlas....

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

"RG" <newszzzzzz@bntinternet.com> wrote in message news:cgdcd6

> Ignore all reference to sizing or size comparisons with cycle clothing -

it
> makes no sense at all!

You're not wrong! I've got a "small" cycling top which fits OK and a Large
and XL and you can barely tell the difference. The size "XL" in cycling tops
is nowhere near the same as for ordinary clothes.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Re: How tight should cycling shorts be

I find nalini clothing a bit of a pain in the butt, all the shops selling team gear sizes them up different and it leaves you puzzled as to what size to buy. I first bought some stuff through probikekit.com that stated that the nalini shorts size 5 was for a 32 inch waist (im a 32inch waist), when they arrived they was way to large and needed to be sent back. Im now wearing nalini bibs that cater for ppl with about 26-28 inch waists according to probikekit, safest bet is to definataly try them on at a shop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK and Europe