Switzerland advice....

I have been in this area of Switzerland many years ago but in the peak
summer months. Fantastic area to reside and walk in. However I think
you might be a bit early as there might still be some snow lying.
However this depends obviously on how much snow falls this winter.
You're making me jealous already thinking about the area. If I didn't
have the job I do this area would be one of my prime destinations to
move to.
Lindsay at Caledonia Hilltreks.

We were in that area in the last week of May last year. The first day, the
weather was glorious. We went up to Schynige Platte and were bowled over by
the views, but there was still snow and the walking routes were closed.

Then it rained. For five days. Almost non-stop. Worst rain (and floods) for
a century or more :(

We spent most of the week travelling around on the trains and cable cars and
looking around the villages. Strange thing is, we thoroughly enjoyed it!
We're going back there in August this year and hope to do some real walking
this time!

Don't let me put you off, though - it's a brilliant place and the weather
last year was exceptionally bad. There will probably still be snow in late
May, though, and if so the higher walking routes will be off limits.

Two tips:

1) last year there was a 6-day rail pass called the Jungrau Pass which
covered all the non-SBB railways and most cable cars in the Jungfrau area
(except the two highest routes, up to Jungfraujoch itself and Schilthorn).
If it still exists this year, it will be a good investment - it saved us a
fortune because buying individual trips on those railways is very expensive.

2) don't miss the rail trip up to Jungfraujoch - how else can you get to
3571 metres and go for a walk on a glacier without climbing gear?

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody walked from Wengen to Mannlichen?
>
> Alternatively has anybody been on any walks around Wengen in late-May -
> early-June?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> Anybody walked from Wengen to Mannlichen?

Err, no, but we everso nearly did! We spent a week in this area in mid
July last year. Rain for the couple of days set us back a bit and we
didn't manage all the walks we had intended to do, this being one of
them. We hoped to do it on the way down from the Jungfraujoch (if you
are there, it is well worth paying the extra fare to go up to the top,
unforgettable experience, highlight of the holiday for all the family)
but the trip up and down and the time we spent up there took longer than
expected. If we ever go back this walk will be top of the list.

If you are going to this area I would recommend basing yourself
somewhere central. We stayed some distance away at Riechenbach, which
was considerably less expensive but meant driving each day to get to the
more scenic areas. Then get a pass which will cover you for the trains,
cablecars etc in the area. If you have children, a special pass for them
allows them to travel free with paying adults except on the last section
up to the Jungfraujoch.

Hope you have a good time, I'm very envious :)

>--

Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr