Accuracy of floor pump gauge?

Tom Nakashima

Guest
I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both pumps work
fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for Silca
floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi?
-tom

Tom Nakashima wrote:

> I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both
> pumps work fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem
> normal for Silca floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi?

Yup, but they're usually consistent so it doesn't matter. As long as you know
what to pump it to according to that guage, you can use the same figure every
time.

Matt O.

Tom Nakashima wrote:

> "I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both

pumps work
fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for Silca

floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi? "

Does it read zero when not in use? If not, the needle may just be
misaligned.

You need a known good gauge to determine which pump is reading right.
Then just mentally add or subtract the right amount.

Art Harris

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both pumps
> work fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for
> Silca floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi?

All air guagues will drift with use. The guages built in to floor pumps get
used every time you pump up your tire (possibly hundreds of times per year).
A 10psi error is not surprising.

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both pumps work
> fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for Silca
> floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi?

Lift the lens cover, remove the needle, press it back to
just clear the stop peg and try again. Resist the temptation
to bend anything below the number plate.

You might also take a moment to make sure the bronze caps
are all tight, clean/lubricate the piston and ensure there's
no detritus or swarf stuck in the check valve assembly.

I use a drop of paint or a small smear of pipe joint
compound on the bronze threads but others run them in dry or
use teflon tape. They are generally very well machined for
as cheap as Silcas are and don't give much trouble.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>
> > "I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both

> pumps work
> fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for Silca
>
> floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi? "
>
> Does it read zero when not in use? If not, the needle may just be
> misaligned.
>
> You need a known good gauge to determine which pump is reading right.
> Then just mentally add or subtract the right amount.
>
> Art Harris

Thanks, all good tips that I have read from feedback.
To be honest, I haven't even touched the gauge, but I'll have a look at it
this weekend.
-tom

swarf?

A Muzi wrote:

> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>
>> I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both
>> pumps work
>> fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for Silca
>> floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi?

> Lift the lens cover, remove the needle, press it back to just clear
> the stop peg and try again. Resist the temptation to bend anything
> below the number plate.
>
> You might also take a moment to make sure the bronze caps are all
> tight, clean/lubricate the piston and ensure there's no detritus or
> swarf stuck in the check valve assembly.
>
> I use a drop of paint or a small smear of pipe joint compound on the
> bronze threads but others run them in dry or use teflon tape. They are
> generally very well machined for as cheap as Silcas are and don't give
> much trouble.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:17:59 -0600, joel roth
<[email protected]> wrote:

>swarf?
>
>A Muzi wrote:
>
>> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>>
>>> I have two Silca floor pumps, both with identical gauges and both
>>> pumps work
>>> fine, except one gauge is off by 7-10psi. Doesn't seem normal for Silca
>>> floor pumps gauges to be off + - 10psi?

>> Lift the lens cover, remove the needle, press it back to just clear
>> the stop peg and try again. Resist the temptation to bend anything
>> below the number plate.
>>
>> You might also take a moment to make sure the bronze caps are all
>> tight, clean/lubricate the piston and ensure there's no detritus or
>> swarf stuck in the check valve assembly.

^^^^^

>> I use a drop of paint or a small smear of pipe joint compound on the
>> bronze threads but others run them in dry or use teflon tape. They are
>> generally very well machined for as cheap as Silcas are and don't give
>> much trouble.

Dear Joel,

Fine metallic filings or shavings removed by a cutting tool.

Drill swarf, for example, includes spiral cuttings and
peelings.

A little bit of metal might have been left hanging on any of
the edges of the pump's machined surfaces. When the pump was
used, the little bit might fall off and interfere with
gauges, valves, and so forth.

Sometimes confused with a shrill dwarf.

W. Archibald Spooner

[email protected] wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:17:59 -0600, joel roth
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>swarf?
>>
>>A Muzi wrote:

>>> Lift the lens cover, remove the needle, press it back to just clear
>>> the stop peg and try again. Resist the temptation to bend anything
>>> below the number plate.
>>>
>>> You might also take a moment to make sure the bronze caps are all
>>> tight, clean/lubricate the piston and ensure there's no detritus or
>>> swarf stuck in the check valve assembly.

> ^^^^^
>>>
>>> I use a drop of paint or a small smear of pipe joint compound on the
>>> bronze threads but others run them in dry or use teflon tape. They are
>>> generally very well machined for as cheap as Silcas are and don't give
>>> much trouble.
>>>

>Dear Joel,
>
>Fine metallic filings or shavings removed by a cutting tool.
>
>Drill swarf, for example, includes spiral cuttings and
>peelings.
>
>A little bit of metal might have been left hanging on any of
>the edges of the pump's machined surfaces. When the pump was
>used, the little bit might fall off and interfere with
>gauges, valves, and so forth.
>
>Sometimes confused with a shrill dwarf.
>
>W. Archibald Spooner

I humbly beg leave for my preceding facetious answer.

I assumed, incorrectly, that "swarf" was simply a colloquial
euphemism, like "mung" or "grunge."

I imagine the word has been similarly underestimated for the better
part of its life.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:10:15 GMT, Neil Brooks
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:17:59 -0600, joel roth
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>swarf?

>> ^^^^^

>>Dear Joel,
>>
>>Fine metallic filings or shavings removed by a cutting tool.
>>
>>Drill swarf, for example, includes spiral cuttings and
>>peelings.
>>
>>A little bit of metal might have been left hanging on any of
>>the edges of the pump's machined surfaces. When the pump was
>>used, the little bit might fall off and interfere with
>>gauges, valves, and so forth.
>>
>>Sometimes confused with a shrill dwarf.
>>
>>W. Archibald Spooner

>I humbly beg leave for my preceding facetious answer.
>
>I assumed, incorrectly, that "swarf" was simply a colloquial
>euphemism, like "mung" or "grunge."
>
>I imagine the word has been similarly underestimated for the better
>part of its life.

Dear Neil,

Whew!

Think how close you were to sliding down the slippery slope
that would have left you doubting the linguistic validity of
"whug" in another current thread.

Carl Fogel

Neil Brooks shaped the electrons to say:

> >swarf?

> Similar to mung, but usually a softer consistency.

Appalling misinformation. Mung is definitely softer than swarf.

Sheesh.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR

Ted <[email protected]> wrote:

>Neil Brooks shaped the electrons to say:
>

>> >swarf?

>> Similar to mung, but usually a softer consistency.

>Appalling misinformation. Mung is definitely softer than swarf.
>
>Sheesh.

'twas bad enough to be sarcastic . . . but sarcastic and wrong . . .

I prostrate myself before you all and beg your collective forgiveness.

(me, splayed out)

joel roth wrote:
> swarf?

chips left from machining metal

--

Neil Brooks wrote:
> I humbly beg leave for my preceding facetious answer.
> I assumed, incorrectly, that "swarf" was simply a colloquial
> euphemism, like "mung" or "grunge."
> I imagine the word has been similarly underestimated for the better
> part of its life.

Not by anybody who uses a bench brush daily.

Actually you could _define_ swarf as "The sort of thing one
finds fouling the check valve of a new Silca floor pump"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Mung is the organic material, probably algae, that grows in a ship's bilge.
It is the food source for the resident naugas, the source of naugahyde in
the USN. The USN is so dependent /devoted to this symbiotic relationship
that ships' enginerooms are equipped with a proprietary 'Knickerbocker Nauga
Knocker' to dispatch the little creatures mercifully.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Silca

> > A Muzi wrote:
> >> Lift the lens cover, remove the needle, press it back to just clear
> >> the stop peg and try again. Resist the temptation to bend anything
> >> below the number plate.
> >> You might also take a moment to make sure the bronze caps are all
> >> tight, clean/lubricate the piston and ensure there's no detritus or
> >> swarf stuck in the check valve assembly.
> >> I use a drop of paint or a small smear of pipe joint compound on the
> >> bronze threads but others run them in dry or use teflon tape. They are
> >> generally very well machined for as cheap as Silcas are and don't give
> >> much trouble.

> joel roth wrote:
> > swarf?

> chips left from machining metal
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Amazing how you guys can get off topic, don't you guys ride in the rain?
I got drenched yesterday on the return home, but it felt good.
Didn't even care if the tire pressure was accurate or not.
-tom

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Amazing how you guys can get off topic, don't you guys ride in the rain?
>I got drenched yesterday on the return home, but it felt good.
>Didn't even care if the tire pressure was accurate or not.

You'll want to immediately check your rims for swarf and mung.