Wheel advice for loaded touring

James Connell

Guest
I am hitting the Trans-America trail with some friends, and I have a couple of wheel questions. I am
am concerned about the rig one of the guys (155 lbs, he tends to be rough on equipment) showed up
with. He has a cannondale 2001 Road Warrior 500 with 700c rims and a 135mm rear end. The bike is
stock and the wheels are 32 hole Cannondale "performance" hubs laced up to cannondale "performance
BOS" rims The rims look to be about the depth and width of open pros. I am concerned that these 32
hole wheels will not hold up for unsupported touring (carrying front and rear pannniers with a tent,
bag, stove, etc.)

Other pertinent info: I have well-built 36/3x ultegra/moskva wheelset that he could throw a 135mm
axle into. The main problem here is that the moskva(omega-aero) rims are pretty damn light.

My question is this: What is the cheapest way to get him a sufficiently durable wheelset?
(Sufficiently durable meaning a wheelset that will probably last the trip provided truing and
spare spokes)

Buy 32 hole t520's and lace them to his cannondale hubs? Run my ultegra/moskva setup? Run the 36
hole ultegra/moskva up front, buy something heavy duty for the back? Buy something else entirely?

Advice would be appreciated. thanks, James

On 5 Jul 2003 11:23:18 -0700, [email protected] (James Connell) wrote:

>I am hitting the Trans-America trail with some friends, and I have a couple of wheel questions. I
>am am concerned about the rig one of the guys (155 lbs, he tends to be rough on equipment) showed
>up with. He has a cannondale 2001 Road Warrior 500 with 700c rims and a 135mm rear end. The bike is
>stock and the wheels are 32 hole Cannondale "performance" hubs laced up to cannondale "performance
>BOS" rims The rims look to be about the depth and width of open pros. I am concerned that these 32
>hole wheels will not hold up for unsupported touring (carrying front and rear pannniers with a
>tent, bag, stove, etc.)
>
>Other pertinent info: I have well-built 36/3x ultegra/moskva wheelset that he could throw a 135mm
>axle into. The main problem here is that the moskva(omega-aero) rims are pretty damn light.
>
> My question is this: What is the cheapest way to get him a sufficiently durable wheelset?
> (Sufficiently durable meaning a wheelset that will probably last the trip provided truing and
> spare spokes)
>
>Buy 32 hole t520's and lace them to his cannondale hubs? Run my ultegra/moskva setup? Run the 36
>hole ultegra/moskva up front, buy something heavy duty for the back? Buy something else entirely?
>
>Advice would be appreciated. thanks, James

I wouldn't worry about the front at all aside from making sure the spokes are stress relievfed and
suffiently tight.

As for the rear..least expensive is probably finding a built wheel offered by one of the mailorder
places..say a T520 on any Shimano hub,(You don;t need to replace the axle to go from 130 to 135, you
just need a spacer) then just strees relieve and retention it..

Bob

On 5 Jul 2003 11:23:18 -0700, [email protected] (James Connell) wrote:

>I am hitting the Trans-America trail with some friends, and I have a couple of wheel questions. I
>am am concerned about the rig one of the guys (155 lbs, he tends to be rough on equipment) showed
>up with. He has a cannondale 2001 Road Warrior 500 with 700c rims and a 135mm rear end. The bike is
>stock and the wheels are 32 hole Cannondale "performance" hubs laced up to cannondale "performance
>BOS" rims The rims look to be about the depth and width of open pros. I am concerned that these 32
>hole wheels will not hold up for unsupported touring (carrying front and rear pannniers with a
>tent, bag, stove, etc.)
>
>Other pertinent info: I have well-built 36/3x ultegra/moskva wheelset that he could throw a 135mm
>axle into. The main problem here is that the moskva(omega-aero) rims are pretty damn light.
>
> My question is this: What is the cheapest way to get him a sufficiently durable wheelset?
> (Sufficiently durable meaning a wheelset that will probably last the trip provided truing and
> spare spokes)
>
>Buy 32 hole t520's and lace them to his cannondale hubs? Run my ultegra/moskva setup? Run the 36
>hole ultegra/moskva up front, buy something heavy duty for the back? Buy something else entirely?
>
>Advice would be appreciated. thanks, James

Check out http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=131&subcategory=1199&brand=&sku=4344&storetyp-
e=&estoreid= straight gauge spokes, but a hell of a deal

I think he should be okay as long as you stress relieve the spokes. I weigh about 196 and tour with
up to 30 lb which gives ma a total weight of
226. I use 36 hole rear wheel. There is no way he's going to have more than 50 lb of stuff which
would bring his weight to 206.

jconn-<< I am hitting the Trans-America trail with some friends, and I have a couple of wheel
questions. I am am concerned about the rig one of the guys (155 lbs, he tends to be rough on
equipment) showed up with. He has a cannondale 2001 Road Warrior 500 with 700c rims and a 135mm rear
end. The bike is stock and the wheels are 32 hole Cannondale "performance" hubs laced up to
cannondale "performance BOS" rims The rims look to be about the depth and width of open pros. I am
concerned that these 32 hole wheels will not hold up for unsupported touring (carrying front and
rear pannniers with a tent, bag, stove, etc.) >><BR><BR>

Good concern...these wheels are not for loaded touring, a weight pushing 225+ pounds

<< My question is this: What is the cheapest way to get him a sufficiently durable wheelset?
(Sufficiently durable meaning a wheelset that will probably last the trip provided truing and spare
spokes) >><BR><BR>

shimano MTB hubset, overhauled and greased when new using a heavy rim, like the Velocity Dyad...36
hole both ends, three cross.

> jconn-<< I am hitting the Trans-America trail with some friends, and I
have a
> couple of wheel questions. I am am concerned about the rig one of the guys (155 lbs, he tends to
> be rough on equipment) showed up with. He has a cannondale 2001 Road Warrior 500 with 700c rims
> and a 135mm rear end. The bike is stock and the wheels are 32 hole Cannondale "performance" hubs
> laced up to cannondale "performance BOS" rims The rims look to be about the depth and width of
> open pros. I am concerned that these 32 hole wheels will not hold up for unsupported touring
> (carrying front and rear pannniers with a tent, bag, stove, etc.) >><BR><BR>
>

> Good concern...these wheels are not for loaded touring, a weight pushing
225+
> pounds
>
> << My question is this: What is the cheapest way to get him a sufficiently durable wheelset?
> (Sufficiently durable meaning a wheelset that will probably last the trip provided truing and
> spare spokes) >><BR><BR>
>
> shimano MTB hubset, overhauled and greased when new using a heavy rim,
like the
> Velocity Dyad...36 hole both ends, three cross.
>

> Peter Chisholm

I agree with Peter. Another good choice of rim is the Bontrager Fairlane. The rear rim has Offset
Spoke Bed. This results in a more even tension balance from side to side. We ride both the Velocity
Dyad and the Bontrager Fairlane for loaded touring and tandeming. They are both good rims. Make sure
to use DB spokes. I would suggest DT 14/15 or DT Alpine 13/15/14. I also agree with all the other
Wheel" on other wheel building specifics. David Ornee, Western Springs, IL