Low carb muscle

Robert Gau

Guest
I read that eating low carb repletes muscle glycogen.
If that is true, does the body replenish it in time whilst
still on lc?

Robert Gau <[email protected]> wrote:
> I read that eating low carb repletes muscle glycogen.
> If that is true, does the body replenish it in time whilst
> still on lc?

Some of it, but you'll still be relatively low. Also, after a while, your
body tries to preserve whatever glycogen stores are present and instead uses
fat for fuel, as much as possible.

"Robert Gau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I read that eating low carb repletes muscle glycogen.
| If that is true, does the body replenish it in time whilst
| still on lc?

I think you meant the opposite of what you said. "Replete" is an
adjective, not a verb, and means "abundantly filled with," not "to exhaust"
as implied by your context.

Low carb tends to "deplete" glycogen if to a certain extent if not
adequately replaced during strenuous exercise, meaning that the muscles are
not then "replete" with glycogen.

(I know, picky, picky, picky!) ;-)
Peter

: "Robert Gau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: news:[email protected]...
: | I read that eating low carb repletes muscle glycogen.
: | If that is true, does the body replenish it in time whilst
: | still on lc?
: |
:
: I think you meant the opposite of what you said. "Replete" is an
: adjective, not a verb, and means "abundantly filled with," not "to
exhaust"
: as implied by your context.
:
: Low carb tends to "deplete" glycogen if to a certain extent if not
: adequately replaced during strenuous exercise, meaning that the muscles
are
: not then "replete" with glycogen.
:
: (I know, picky, picky, picky!) ;-)
: Peter

No, you're right. I think he meant "deplete", too.

Pat in TX
:
:

Myra wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:33:33 -0800, wombn
>
> >the body can convert protein and fat into glucose, and will do so if
> >necessary, at MUCH slower rates than sugar. I'm not clear on entire
> >process so I can't explain it further than this.

> Not more slowly - just different percentages. Excess protein

converts
> to glucose at 57%, while excess fat converts at 10%.
>
> Myra

Myra,
Animals do not have the capacity to convert fat into glucose. Fat can
go various metabolic pathways to supply energy; ketone bodies or
ß-oxidation of fatty acids.

"warehouse" <[email protected]> writes:
> Animals do not have the capacity to convert fat into glucose.

10% of the weight of each fat molecule is the glycerine backbone,
which the body can convert into a glucose molecule.

The other 90% of each fat molecule is the three free fatty acids,
which go through the various metabolic pathways you're thinking about.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:11:07 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Not more slowly - just different percentages. Excess protein converts
>> to glucose at 57%, while excess fat converts at 10%.

>What?

IIRC, it's in "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution."

Myra

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 04:01:13 GMT, Myra <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:11:07 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Not more slowly - just different percentages. Excess protein converts
>>> to glucose at 57%, while excess fat converts at 10%.

>> What?

> IIRC, it's in "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution."
>
> Myra

Is the protein to glucose conversion only while in ketosis or all the
time? For instance, when I was on low fat and eating a bazillion grams of
carbs per day, did the very little protein I eat get partially converted
to carbs?

--
Bob in CT

Myra wrote:
:: On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:11:07 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
:: <[email protected]> wrote:
::
:::: Not more slowly - just different percentages. Excess protein
:::: converts to glucose at 57%, while excess fat converts at 10%.
:::
::: What?
::
:: IIRC, it's in "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution."
::
:: Myra

Sorry, I wasn't questioning your info....more the fact that you posted......

:)

wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:11:07 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Not more slowly - just different percentages. Excess protein converts
>>> to glucose at 57%, while excess fat converts at 10%.

>>What?

>IIRC, it's in "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution."
>
>Myra

Basically, I think you are right, you body converts what it needs.
Protein cannot be transformed into carbohydrates, but a certain
percentage of it can be transformed into glucose if certain conditions
are met.

Here is an excerpt from Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein.

"Protein is the second of our two dietary sources of blood sugar.
Protein foods are only about 20 percent protein by weight (6 grams per
ounce), the rest being fat, water or undigestible "gristle." The
liver, instructed by the hormone glucagon, and ..very slowly..
transform as much as 52 percent of the above 6 grams per ounce into
glucose IF blood sugar descends too low or the body's other amino acid
needs have been met. Neither carbohydrate nor fat can be transformed
into protein."

When he sets up the food plans, he says, "Remember that about 10
percent of the cooked weight of most protein foods can be converted to
glucose by the liver." (Note: He said "can be" not "will be".)

I interpret this to mean that if blood sugar does not descend too low
or the body's other amino acid needs have not been met, then protein
will not be transformed into glucose. In view of this and since the
potential conversion of protein to glucose is so slow and the percent
that may be converted is only 10 percent, it will probably have only a
very minor effect on blood sugar, if any.

Note: He did say 52 percent and not 58 percent, but I don't know
where he got that figure from

john wrote:
:: On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 04:01:13 GMT, Myra <[email protected]>
:: wrote:
::
::: On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:11:07 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
::: <[email protected]> wrote:
:::
::::: Not more slowly - just different percentages. Excess protein
::::: converts to glucose at 57%, while excess fat converts at 10%.
::::
:::: What?
:::
[...]

Thanks for the comments, John.

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:49:23 -0500, "Bob M" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Is the protein to glucose conversion only while in ketosis or all the
>time? For instance, when I was on low fat and eating a bazillion grams of
>carbs per day, did the very little protein I eat get partially converted
>to carbs?

I have no idea.

Myra

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:44:44 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry, I wasn't questioning your info....more the fact that you posted......

No problem, Roger.

You already know I keep my protein intake to 22-25% of total calories
consumed. That works for me.

Down 34.75 since January 1st. Down 156.25 total. :)

Myra