New to NJ

gmail

Guest
I just moved to Northern NJ and I am looking for some good places to
roadbike. Any suggestions?

gmail wrote:
> I just moved to Northern NJ and I am looking for some good places to
> roadbike. Any suggestions?

I live in Northern New Jersey but just started riding. Have no clue
where to ride. By the look of the weather, we may never ride. I didn't
know people actually MOVED to Jersey. I thought we were all born here
and that's why we stay here. ;-)
Welcome to Joisey
All Good Things,
Maggie

I moved here for work from California in December. I agree we may never
get to ride. I am seriously having cabin fever right now and need to
get on the bike. Thank you for the welcome;-)
Hopefully we will see the sun and warmth soon,
Kelly

gmail wrote:
> I moved here for work from California in December. I agree we may

never
> get to ride. I am seriously having cabin fever right now and need to
> get on the bike. Thank you for the welcome;-)
> Hopefully we will see the sun and warmth soon,
> Kelly

Coming from CA. to NJ. is pretty drastic. Today it looks as if we are
having a snow hurricane. It doesn't look like it's going to get any
better for a while. I knew it must have been a job transfer or
something. No one moves to Jersey just to live in Jersey. ;-)
Maggie

Oh come on its not that bad. So far I like it here. I understand it
gets humid in the summer, but as long as it is not like Florida in the
summer I will be just fine. I can't believe the weather today,
especially after yesterday being as warm and nice as it was. Oh well I
guess that is the way it is.

On 8 Mar 2005 05:46:18 -0800, gmail wrote:
> I just moved to Northern NJ and I am looking for some good places to
> roadbike. Any suggestions?

Check out the local bike clubs. There are very few riders (as a
percent of the population) so clubs tend to workout nicely. Since I
don't know which part of NJ you are in I'd suggest visiting a local
bike shop (LBS) and asking them who is local and would fit your
needs.

Another very good resource is this link:

http://www.njbikemap.com/

I lead/ride with the Pricetown Freewheelers and Central Jersey Bike
Club out of the Monroe Twp area (NJ Turnpike exit 8a, Jamesburg map on
the above link). Current pace is 15 - 16 mph, 40 - 50 miles, flat
(farm lands). I lead on Saturday mornings in most kinds of weather
(ice and snow are a problem, cold is not). Both the avg speed and the
number of miles will increase until we're riding centuries. I may have
a double metric (130 miles) this summer.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

"gmail" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I moved here for work from California in December. I agree we may never
>get to ride. I am seriously having cabin fever right now and need to
>get on the bike. Thank you for the welcome;-)
>Hopefully we will see the sun and warmth soon,
>Kelly

Dear Kelly,

We miss you already.

Neil
San Diego

On 8 Mar 2005 09:06:02 -0800, Maggie wrote:

> gmail wrote:
>> I moved here for work from California in December. I agree we may

> never
>> get to ride. I am seriously having cabin fever right now and need to
>> get on the bike. Thank you for the welcome;-)
>> Hopefully we will see the sun and warmth soon,
>> Kelly

> Coming from CA. to NJ. is pretty drastic. Today it looks as if we are
> having a snow hurricane. It doesn't look like it's going to get any
> better for a while. I knew it must have been a job transfer or
> something. No one moves to Jersey just to live in Jersey. ;-)

Hey Maggie, one more wise crack outta ya and we're shipping you out to
Staten Island or better yet Lon gIsland! ;-)

Remember NJ is not the are aroung the Airport and Elizabeth! We
actually still have a few farms left! Anyone remember the county
Agriculturial Extension Co-operative ...

--

On 8 Mar 2005 09:18:03 -0800, gmail wrote:
> Oh come on its not that bad. So far I like it here. I understand it
> gets humid in the summer, but as long as it is not like Florida in the
> summer I will be just fine. I can't believe the weather today,
> especially after yesterday being as warm and nice as it was. Oh well I
> guess that is the way it is.

NJ's weather is interesting we have lots of micro-climates (I'm not
sure if that's the correct name). Western Jersey gets one thing, while
central Jersey another, south and norther yet another and the shore
yet another.

In central Jersey we get hot and humid where it get's into the 90's
and 100% humidity. Usually it's in August but we have experienced it
in July. We can also get hot and humid if a tropical depression (a
weak hurricane) goes to visit. Genreally not the best weather for
riding. Basically we get a bit of everything.

--

Neil Cherry wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2005 09:06:02 -0800, Maggie wrote:
> >
> > gmail wrote:
> >> I moved here for work from California in December. I agree we may

> > never
> >> get to ride. I am seriously having cabin fever right now and need

> >> get on the bike. Thank you for the welcome;-)
> >> Hopefully we will see the sun and warmth soon,
> >> Kelly

> > Coming from CA. to NJ. is pretty drastic. Today it looks as if we

are
> > having a snow hurricane. It doesn't look like it's going to get

any
> > better for a while. I knew it must have been a job transfer or
> > something. No one moves to Jersey just to live in Jersey. ;-)

> Hey Maggie, one more wise crack outta ya and we're shipping you out

> Staten Island or better yet Lon gIsland! ;-)

OK the thought of spending any time on the Long Island Expressway (AKA
L I E) scares me enough to say I'D RATHER BE IN JOISEY.

Hey, I am a Jersey girl. Born and raised. Wise cracks are as common as
Wise guys. There is a "certain something" about Jersey girls.....no
one has figured out exactly what that "certain something" is, but it's
something.

I think its attitude. Lord knows we have attitude. ;-) Especially
around Essex County.
All Good Things,
Maggie.

Riding at the shore (Island Beach) is awesome. Nice scenic hily
farmland in Hunterdon Cty. Some great organized rides and clubs. NJ is
nowhere bear as good to ride in as CA but not too bad.

Jersey Shore Touring Society is an excellent group as well. I've done
the large yearly rides with CJBC and the Freewheelers and they are
great as well.

Sweet! You guys are really giving me a lot of places to start. At least
when it stops snowing;--)

I have to say that riding in CA was awesome. I am really looking
forward to seeing what types of terrain there is to ride here. I have
already come to the conclusion the hill climbs are not nearly as
good(steep) as CA. I am sure I will find my share of hilly rides. Gotta
love those thigh burners;-)

On 8 Mar 2005 13:03:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> Riding at the shore (Island Beach) is awesome. Nice scenic hily
> farmland in Hunterdon Cty. Some great organized rides and clubs. NJ is
> nowhere bear as good to ride in as CA but not too bad.

Hey we don't have mud slides. ;-)

I spent some time around San Francisco in April (15 years ago) and I
couldn't beleive the lack of color. Everything seemed to be a shade of
brown. Even in the winter we have more color than SF did. I doubt all
of California is like that. It was just a surprise to me.

What might be a surprise to everyone is just how beautiful NJ is. Lots
of films like to show the crowded sections and the nasty area of the
Turnpike (a part of Northern NJ). There is a lot more to it than
that.

--

Neil Cherry <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey we don't have mud slides. ;-)
>
>I spent some time around San Francisco in April (15 years ago) and I
>couldn't beleive the lack of color. Everything seemed to be a shade of
>brown. Even in the winter we have more color than SF did. I doubt all
>of California is like that. It was just a surprise to me.

Wouldn't you think the mudslides go a long way toward explaining the
general brown color? ;-)

Neil
San Diego

gmail wrote:
> Sweet! You guys are really giving me a lot of places to start. At least
> when it stops snowing;--)

What kind of riding are you looking for? Do you race, tour or fast
group rides? There is a club in Monmouth County called the
Atlantic Bicycle Club. The are mostly ex-racers and a mixture of fast
riders. The have a web page and have several ride each week with there
best ride being the large group ride on Sunday Mornings. The meet at
various locations through out Monmouth County and the Sunday ride meets
at the Allenwood School in Wall.
Do a google search for Atlantic Bicycle Club and check them out. I was
born and raised at the shore and this is my home town club so I'm a
little biased.
Jeff

On 8 Mar 2005 13:48:42 -0800, gmail wrote:
> I have to say that riding in CA was awesome. I am really looking
> forward to seeing what types of terrain there is to ride here. I have
> already come to the conclusion the hill climbs are not nearly as
> good(steep) as CA. I am sure I will find my share of hilly rides. Gotta
> love those thigh burners;-)

I've not riden in CA on my bike and it's nowhere near the steepness of
San Francisco but CJBC has a 'Hillier than Thou' (HtT) in September
that used to include Fiddler's elbow. I'm sure it will bring back
memories! :)

So you can find it on a map (http://www.njbikemap.com/) , it's along
the Delaware Water Gap, on the Belvidere map (lower left part just off
the elbow of Harmony Brass Castle). It looks only to be about 680 ft
climb but it's a short climb). I think the entire HtT has about 11K of
climb over a 100 miles. If you want real hill visit PA. They have some
hair raisers (usually with a stop sign at the bottom ;-)

--

gmail wrote:
> Sweet! You guys are really giving me a lot of places to start. At

least
> when it stops snowing;--)

The snow has turned to treacherous ice..... You are going to love the
diversity of NJ.....not just in people, but in the weather too.
Yesterday it was beautiful, today all the roads are closed because of
an snow/ice/rain freezing blizzard.
WE GOT IT ALL!!!!!!!
"TOTO I have a feeling we are not in California"
All Good things,
Maggie

Neil Cherry wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2005 13:03:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> > Riding at the shore (Island Beach) is awesome. Nice scenic hily
> > farmland in Hunterdon Cty. Some great organized rides and clubs.

NJ is
> > nowhere bear as good to ride in as CA but not too bad.

> Hey we don't have mud slides. ;-)
>
> I spent some time around San Francisco in April (15 years ago) and I
> couldn't beleive the lack of color. Everything seemed to be a shade

of
> brown. Even in the winter we have more color than SF did. I doubt all
> of California is like that. It was just a surprise to me.
>
> What might be a surprise to everyone is just how beautiful NJ is.

Lots
> of films like to show the crowded sections and the nasty area of the
> Turnpike (a part of Northern NJ). There is a lot more to it than
> that.

Are you talkin' bout the beginning of the famous Jersey Turnpike shown
on the Sopranos. That's a great part of Jersey too. I might make fun
of Jersey, but I can because it's MY HOME. It's like your kids, you
can yell at them, but if anyone else does, you attack like a Mama Bear.

I make fun of Jersey all the time, but no one else is going to do it.

We have everything. We have country, shore, suburbs, city WE HAVE IT
ALL!!!!!

Jersey is a joke to some people but only those who live here are
allowed to joke about it. ;-) It's a very unique State. We can see the
ocean and the pine barrens, cities and suburbs. We have the boardwalk
in Atlantic City and protected forests.

Any sport is do-able in Jersey. We change with the seasons. JERSEY IS
FABULOUS!!!! Not many people in Jersey were transplanted here...we
grew out of the Jersey swamplands... ;-)
All Good Things,
Maggie