or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cities Turning to Bicycles

post #1 of 789
It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
see SUVs in full control of the road in America.

I'm afraid my bicycles will continue to rust...

CITIES TURNING TO BICYCLES TO
CUT COSTS, POLLUTION, AND CRIME
by Gary Gardner

For safer streets, less congestion, and cleaner air, the bicycle is
poised to become an integral part of urban transportation systems for
the 21st century, says the Worldwatch Institute in a new report. Too
often relegated to weekend jaunts and children's use, bicycles are
emerging as a solution to some of today's most intractable urban
problems.

Putting bicycles to work could produce enormous savings, like reduced
air and noise pollution, better land use, less congestion and lower
health costs. "Americans drive cars and taxis more than 1.5 trillion
miles each year," said Gary Gardner, author of "When Cities Take
Bicycles Seriously," an article in the September/October issue of
World Watch. "Shifting just 5 percent of those miles to bicycles would
save at least $100 billion."

Much of urban travel is already "bike-sized": 40 percent of all trips
in the United States (and 50 percent in Britain) are 2 miles or
shorter. More than 25 percent of all trips are under a mile in the
United States. "Cycling could eliminate some of these short,
air-polluting trips," Gardner said, citing estimates that 90 percent
of emissions in a 7-mile trip are generated in the first mile before
the engine warms up.

Strong support from citizens and local officials has been driving new
bike policies around the world. In several major cities in the
Netherlands, Denmark, and Germany, bicycles now account for 20 to 30
percent of all trips. In many Asian cities, the bicycle's share of
trips is even higher, accounting for more than half of all trips in
some Chinese cities-more than buses, cars, and walking combined. In
stark contrast, bicycles are used for less than 1 percent of all trips
in Canada and the United States.

In addition to bicycles' environmental and health benefits, mayors all
over the world are finding that bicycles can also fight crime and cut
administrative costs. City inspectors, health workers, meter readers,
parks and recreation officials, paramedics, and a host of other
employees can use bikes for at least some of their work.

Bicycle use by police departments has mushroomed in the past decade.
The International Police Mountain Bike Association (IPMBA) estimates
that more than 2,000 police departments in the United States, Canada,
Australia, Iceland, and Russia have bicycle units, with some 10,000
officers on bikes.

Even better, the IPMBA reports that half of the police departments it
surveyed saw a jump in arrest rates-by an average of 24 percent-when
bicycles were introduced into patrol areas. Putting cops on bikes also
improves community relations and cuts costs.

The average car costs 12 cents per mile to operate, while bicycles run
for less than 1 cent per mile. One patrol car costs about $23,000 and
requires $3,000 to $4,000 each year in maintenance. One police bicycle
costs about $1,000 and requires $100 each year in maintenance.

Gardner cites numerous examples of how cities around the world are
encouraging the use of bicycles by making inexpensive but effective
changes in their transportation systems:

-In Muenster, Germany, bus lanes can be used by bicycles, but not by
cars. Special lanes near intersections feed cyclists to a stop area
ahead of cars, while an advance green light for cyclists ensures that
they get through the intersection before cars behind them begin to
move.

-In Japan, local governments bolstered the "bike and ride" link with
railways. The number of train station bike parking spaces rose from
600,000 in 1977 to nearly 2.4 million in 1987, maintaining the high
levels of railway use despite rising levels of car ownership.
(Construction of covered and locked bike racks costs from $50 to $500
per space-a fraction of the $12,000 to $18,000 to build garage space
for each car.)

-In Lima, Peru, the city set up a micro-credit program to help
low-income citizens buy bicycles. By eliminating dependence on public
transportation, which runs about $25 per month, workers making $200
per month would see their income effectively rise by 8 percent during
the repayment period, and by more than 12 percent once the loan is
paid off.

-Copenhagen's City Bike program makes 2,300 bicycles available for
public use around the city. Users pay 20 krona (about $3) to check out
a two-wheeler, but the fee is refunded when the bike is returned. The
bikes are intensively used: a Danish newspaper reported that the City
Bike it tracked for 12 hours spent only 8 minutes at bike stands
waiting for new patrons. This program is a public-private partnership,
with businesses buying the bikes in return for advertising space on
the bikes.

"By 2025, the share of people living in cities is expected to reach 5
billion," said Gardner. "Increasing bicycle use will be key to making
the urban habitat, now home to nearly half of humanity, a far more
livable space."

http://committed.to/justiceforpeace
post #2 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

DonQuijote1954 wrote:

> It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> see SUVs in full control of the road in America.
>
> I'm afraid my bicycles will continue to rust...

Why?

Bikes are beautiful machines. They deserve to be allowed to run.

SUVs or no SUVs, cycling is extremely safe if done with any competence.
Even in crowded areas, you can usually find pleasant side streets to
ride. And once you learn a little about cycling in traffic, even most
major roads are perfectly fine for cycling.

In my experience, there are too many people who use "If only..."
fantasies to excuse their contribution to the problem. Get out there
and do what needs to be done!

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message news:<4e4a3f58.0409070513.728f3364@posting.google.com>...
> It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> see SUVs in full control of the road in America.

People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
bikes.
post #4 of 789

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" <xeton2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message

> > It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> > see SUVs in full control of the road in America.
> >

> People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
> it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
> drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
> bikes.

Thats the biggest load of crap I've seen posted in ages, got some
documentation supporting it?

Of course you don't
post #5 of 789

xeton2001@yahoo.com (Laura Bush murdered her boy friend) wrote in message news:<780ea958.0409071831.50136cc3@posting.google.com>...
> nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message news:<4e4a3f58.0409070513.728f3364@posting.google.com>...
> > It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> > see SUVs in full control of the road in America.
> >

> People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
> it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
> drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
> bikes.

We'll name you Transportation Secretary when we make it with the
Banana Revolution...

You forget one thing: The SUVs themselves are the WMDs--caught
redhanded.
post #6 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

xeton2001@yahoo.com (Laura Bush murdered her boy friend) wrote in message news:<780ea958.0409071831.50136cc3@posting.google.com>...
> nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message news:<4e4a3f58.0409070513.728f3364@posting.google.com>...
> > It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> > see SUVs in full control of the road in America.
> >

> People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
> it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
> drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
> bikes.

We'll name you Transportation Secretary when we make it with the
Banana Revolution...

You forget one thing: The SUVs themselves are the WMDs--caught
redhanded.
post #7 of 789

"Mark Leuck" <m..leuck@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<9jv%c.150515$mD.14615@attbi_s02>...
> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" <xeton2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message

> > > It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> > > see SUVs in full control of the road in America.
> > >

> > People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
> > it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
> > drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
> > bikes.

> Thats the biggest load of crap I've seen posted in ages, got some
> documentation supporting it?
>
> Of course you don't

Get out of your cave and look at how the car loons drive. You
speeders and DUIs and RLRs and CPDs are terrorists.
post #8 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

On 8 Sep 2004 07:53:21 -0700, xeton2001@yahoo.com (Laura Bush murdered
her boy friend) wrote:

>> > People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
>> > it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
>> > drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
>> > bikes.

>> Thats the biggest load of crap I've seen posted in ages, got some
>> documentation supporting it?
>>
>> Of course you don't

>Get out of your cave and look at how the car loons drive. You
>speeders and DUIs and RLRs and CPDs are terrorists.

I fail to see where your first sentence logically (other than through
some warped prism) leads to the second, the buying of 3 ton SUVs being
done by terrorists. The third sentence makes sense only in form - I
doubt that anyone else thinks that imprisonment of drivers that kill
and maim will have a noticeable impact on whether people will buy
small cars and bikes.

And no, I'm not a speeder. I don't drive while under the influence.
The RLR and CPD part escapes me, but I'm sure they are important
acronyms in your particular world. Probably ride a bike more than you
do.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
post #9 of 789

"Tom Keats" <tomk2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <413dd067$1@news.ysu.edu>,
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@mousepotato.com> writes:
>
> > In my experience, there are too many people who use "If only..."
> > fantasies to excuse their contribution to the problem. Get out there
> > and do what needs to be done!

> I'm really enjoying my new job, in large part because it
> allows me to ride to various construction sites around town.
> Last Friday at the most developed site, I noticed a couple
> of the crew had ridden to work, too. Maybe I inspired them.
> It's nice to think so, anyway.
>
> Start time is 7:30 AM. If I'm out of the house at 6:00 or
> 6:30, the streets are pretty much all mine. The cool morning
> air is so refreshing, I'm alert, comfortable & quite awake on
> arrival. And then a pre-work cup of coffee is all the more
> pleasant.
>
> The nearest site is 20 minutes away from home; the furthest,
> 40 minutes. The ride home after work is sweetly stress free,
> although maybe a bit slow after a hard day's physical labour.
> I just use the ride as a warm-down, and arrive home unexhausted
> and still limber.
>
> Parking on-site is a cinch -- I just bring my bike right into
> the site and park it in an out-of-the-way corner.
>
> I'd bet for every excuse not to ride, there are at least two
> good reasons to go ahead and do it. But I guess I'm also
> blessed in being so able to integrate cycling into my lifestyle.
> Or my lifestyle into cycling.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

I rather thought this was a news group from CHINA or maybe INDIA. There
everyone wants to get a motorbike because riding a bicycle is such a damn
chore. I lived that way for several years myself, and on Sundays we took a
tonga, and the horse could not pull both my wife and me, so I had to walk
part of the distance to church. It is so romantic....NOT.
post #10 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" <xeton2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message

> > It makes sense to me, but will "the powers that be" make it happen? I
> > see SUVs in full control of the road in America.
> >

> People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
> it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
> drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
> bikes.

I happen to need one. No one wants to be a terrorist. We just want to be
able to get home reliably on a dirt road with steep hills. We have to use
low gear 4-wheel drive to get in.
post #11 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:45:02 -0400, "Allen Seth Dunn" <ftc@ftc.gov>
wrote:

>To Mr. Curtis L. Russell and Mark Leuck: please don't feed the resident
>troll of rec.autos.driving. Trying to use logic to argue with him/her/it
>will only lead to more unsupported BS from him/her/it.

Oh, well, we all have our trolls. There should be a troll swapping
service somewhere - if we can't get rid of them and they won't go
away, we should be able to trade them group to group. Most of the
trolls don't really seem to care where they end up.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
post #12 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

In article <780ea958.0409080653.62f2c9a4@posting.google.com>,
xeton2001@yahoo.com (Laura Bush murdered her boy friend) writes:

>"Mark Leuck" <m..leuck@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" <xeton2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message

>> > People aren't forced to buy 3 ton SUVs. They do it cause they think
>> > it's cool to be a highway terrorist. If america imprisoned reckless
>> > drivers that kill and maim, then people would opt for small cars and
>> > bikes.

>> Thats the biggest load of crap I've seen posted in ages, got some
>> documentation supporting it?
>>
>> Of course you don't

>Get out of your cave and look at how the car loons drive. You
>speeders and DUIs and RLRs and CPDs are terrorists

Personally I'd like to see reactive law enforcement of ALL traffic laws.
"Photo Cop" speed traps and at every traffic light. I'd also like to see the
courts pull licenses from those that scoff at the law, six months on the first
time and then for life. From personal observation this would remove about 10%
of the drivers from the road, but they would be the worst drivers out there so
the impact would be more than a 10% improvement. And the rest of those on the
road would be a whole lot more careful about how they drive, providing even
more improvement.

Tom Gibb <TBGibb@aol.com>
post #13 of 789

tomk2003@hotmail.com (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<351mhc.gh.ln@bud.garden.local>...
> In article <413dd067$1@news.ysu.edu>,
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@mousepotato.com> writes:
>
> > In my experience, there are too many people who use "If only..."
> > fantasies to excuse their contribution to the problem. Get out there
> > and do what needs to be done!

> I'm really enjoying my new job, in large part because it
> allows me to ride to various construction sites around town.
> Last Friday at the most developed site, I noticed a couple
> of the crew had ridden to work, too. Maybe I inspired them.
> It's nice to think so, anyway.
>
> Start time is 7:30 AM. If I'm out of the house at 6:00 or
> 6:30, the streets are pretty much all mine. The cool morning
> air is so refreshing, I'm alert, comfortable & quite awake on
> arrival. And then a pre-work cup of coffee is all the more
> pleasant.
>
> The nearest site is 20 minutes away from home; the furthest,
> 40 minutes. The ride home after work is sweetly stress free,
> although maybe a bit slow after a hard day's physical labour.
> I just use the ride as a warm-down, and arrive home unexhausted
> and still limber.
>
> Parking on-site is a cinch -- I just bring my bike right into
> the site and park it in an out-of-the-way corner.
>
> I'd bet for every excuse not to ride, there are at least two
> good reasons to go ahead and do it. But I guess I'm also
> blessed in being so able to integrate cycling into my lifestyle.
> Or my lifestyle into cycling.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

If you don't have a family, then it's OK.

And if you do make sure to buy life insurance...
post #14 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

tomk2003@hotmail.com (Tom Keats) wrote in message news:<351mhc.gh.ln@bud.garden.local>...
> In article <413dd067$1@news.ysu.edu>,
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@mousepotato.com> writes:
>
> > In my experience, there are too many people who use "If only..."
> > fantasies to excuse their contribution to the problem. Get out there
> > and do what needs to be done!

> I'm really enjoying my new job, in large part because it
> allows me to ride to various construction sites around town.
> Last Friday at the most developed site, I noticed a couple
> of the crew had ridden to work, too. Maybe I inspired them.
> It's nice to think so, anyway.
>
> Start time is 7:30 AM. If I'm out of the house at 6:00 or
> 6:30, the streets are pretty much all mine. The cool morning
> air is so refreshing, I'm alert, comfortable & quite awake on
> arrival. And then a pre-work cup of coffee is all the more
> pleasant.
>
> The nearest site is 20 minutes away from home; the furthest,
> 40 minutes. The ride home after work is sweetly stress free,
> although maybe a bit slow after a hard day's physical labour.
> I just use the ride as a warm-down, and arrive home unexhausted
> and still limber.
>
> Parking on-site is a cinch -- I just bring my bike right into
> the site and park it in an out-of-the-way corner.
>
> I'd bet for every excuse not to ride, there are at least two
> good reasons to go ahead and do it. But I guess I'm also
> blessed in being so able to integrate cycling into my lifestyle.
> Or my lifestyle into cycling.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

If you don't have a family, then it's OK.

And if you do make sure to buy life insurance...
post #15 of 789

"George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<EBF%c.11263$Vl5.10607@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> > I'd bet for every excuse not to ride, there are at least two
> > good reasons to go ahead and do it. But I guess I'm also
> > blessed in being so able to integrate cycling into my lifestyle.
> > Or my lifestyle into cycling.
> >

> > cheers,
> > Tom
> >

> I rather thought this was a news group from CHINA or maybe INDIA. There
> everyone wants to get a motorbike because riding a bicycle is such a damn
> chore. I lived that way for several years myself, and on Sundays we took a
> tonga, and the horse could not pull both my wife and me, so I had to walk
> part of the distance to church. It is so romantic....NOT.

As far as I know the Netherlands and a other European countries ride
bicycles and find it romantic. For that matter go to Key West or a few
other places in America where's safe to ride.

I agree with you though about the church not being so romantic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: rec.bicycles.rides