New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cities Turning to Bicycles - Page 4

post #46 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

[Followup-To trimmed]

* nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com (DonQuijote1954):

[Autobahn]
>German version : No speedlimits.

On most German Autobahns there is a speedlimit of ususually 100 km/h
or 120 km/h nowadays. Autobahns without speedlimits are rare
exceptions.

Although the speedlimits are seldom enforced, most drivers drive
according to the law.

--
Stefan
post #47 of 789

Chalo wrote:
> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I happen to need one. No one wants to be a terrorist. We just want to be
>>able to get home reliably on a dirt road with steep hills. We have to use
>>low gear 4-wheel drive to get in.

> I'd bet money you could do it easily with a rear-engined VW Beetle.
> Or any other lightweight, rear engine/rear wheel drive car for that
> matter. And it would be child's play on a motorcycle. Or a mountain
> bike.
>
> Chalo Colina

*SPLAT*

BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*squeegies the monitor*

*pictures a VW Beetle trying to get up the driveway on the last farm we
owned and falls off her chair laughing*

Sorry Chalo, some driveways need big vehicles with plenty of clearance.
You couldn't get into the last farm we owned with anything smaller
than an F-150 4x4.

*pictures trying to haul a trailer full of hay bales with a VW Beetle*

*snort* *snort* *honk* *wheeze*

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

<Heh-hehh...time to quit making disastermovies about trains, airplanes
and earthquake.
Next film will be "2 ton monster on rubberwheels run amock at
full-moon">

Yep, "Terror on the Highway to Heaven" could be the title.

But as war in Iraq gets in a quagmire, and the price of oil shoots up,
"alternative transportation" is likely to be found...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DG
post #49 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

<Heh-hehh...time to quit making disastermovies about trains, airplanes
and earthquake.
Next film will be "2 ton monster on rubberwheels run amock at
full-moon">

Yep, "Terror on the Highway to Heaven" could be the title.

But as war in Iraq gets in a quagmire, and the price of oil shoots up,
"alternative transportation" is likely to be found...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DG
post #50 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:23:42 GMT, the black rose
<blackrosequilts@netscape.net> wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
>> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I happen to need one. No one wants to be a terrorist. We just want
>>> to be
>>> able to get home reliably on a dirt road with steep hills. We have to
>>> use
>>> low gear 4-wheel drive to get in.

>> I'd bet money you could do it easily with a rear-engined VW Beetle. Or
>> any other lightweight, rear engine/rear wheel drive car for that
>> matter. And it would be child's play on a motorcycle. Or a mountain
>> bike.
>>
>> Chalo Colina

> *SPLAT*
>
> BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>
> *squeegies the monitor*
>
> *pictures a VW Beetle trying to get up the driveway on the last farm we
> owned and falls off her chair laughing*
>
> Sorry Chalo, some driveways need big vehicles with plenty of clearance.
> You couldn't get into the last farm we owned with anything smaller
> than an F-150 4x4.
>
> *pictures trying to haul a trailer full of hay bales with a VW Beetle*
>
> *snort* *snort* *honk* *wheeze*
>
> -km

I agree that there's a place for these SUVs/trucks, but the vast,
overwhelming majority of people who own them never do anything like going
off road/hauling anything. I've owned my Jeep Comanche for a long time
and only been off road four times with it. If I outfit my Saab with snow
tires, I go basically any road the Jeep goes during snow, with better
stopping and better control (my truck oversteers in a heartbeat). The 4wd
does help when starting out on hills. Other than that, the Saab is way
better than the Jeep in the snow and gets about 10 miles per gallon better
gas mileage.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

George Conklin wrote:

<snippage>

>> Poll...
>>
>> http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread...threadid=96079

> As I said earlier, riding a HORSE is very dangerous. So is riding an
> ass.

And so is being an ass.

'cept maybe on usenet.

Mark
post #52 of 789

Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:23:42 GMT, the black rose
> <blackrosequilts@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> > Chalo wrote:

> >> I'd bet money you could do it easily with a rear-engined VW Beetle. Or
> >> any other lightweight, rear engine/rear wheel drive car for that
> >> matter. And it would be child's play on a motorcycle. Or a mountain
> >> bike.
> >>
> >> Chalo Colina

> > *SPLAT*
> >
> > BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> >
> > *squeegies the monitor*
> >
> > *pictures a VW Beetle trying to get up the driveway on the last farm we
> > owned and falls off her chair laughing*
> >
> > Sorry Chalo, some driveways need big vehicles with plenty of clearance.
> > You couldn't get into the last farm we owned with anything smaller
> > than an F-150 4x4.
> >
> > *pictures trying to haul a trailer full of hay bales with a VW Beetle*
> >
> > *snort* *snort* *honk* *wheeze*
> >
> > -km
> >

> I agree that there's a place for these SUVs/trucks, but the vast,
> overwhelming majority of people who own them never do anything like going
> off road/hauling anything. I've owned my Jeep Comanche for a long time
> and only been off road four times with it. If I outfit my Saab with snow
> tires, I go basically any road the Jeep goes during snow, with better
> stopping and better control (my truck oversteers in a heartbeat). The 4wd
> does help when starting out on hills. Other than that, the Saab is way
> better than the Jeep in the snow and gets about 10 miles per gallon better
> gas mileage.

So why do you keep the Jeep?
post #53 of 789

DonQuijote1954 wrote:
> <Dunno how an american freeway is, but I'd like to add some details
> about the definition of an autobahn.
>
> German version : No speedlimits.

Only on the Autobahn. All other roads have speed limits.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
post #54 of 789

George Conklin wrote:

> I wonder if bicycle riders should not pay more for insurance, like
> smokers do.

Sure, great idea. Lets take one of the worlds best exercises, the most
energy efficient way to move a human and considerable cargo, a fun,
benign activity that does not harm others, and make it more expensive to
perform!

Tell me, what are you smoking?

Wayne
post #55 of 789

George Conklin wrote:
> Well, data published about Clinton showed that the hospital he was
> in had a 4% death rate from heart bypass surgery. Multipled by
> 400,000 people a year, that is a lot of deaths. But you know what?
> People don't seem to care. I don't know why. There are some ways to
> die that are politically correct and further doctors make you PAY to
> die.

IIRC that type of surgery has a 1% death rate. That particular hospital
accepts high-risk and "near hopeless" patients, so their stats are skewed
quite a bit.

Bill "sick sucks" S.
post #56 of 789

George Conklin wrote:
> Well, data published about Clinton showed that the hospital he was
> in had a 4% death rate from heart bypass surgery. Multipled by
> 400,000 people a year, that is a lot of deaths. But you know what?
> People don't seem to care. I don't know why. There are some ways to
> die that are politically correct and further doctors make you PAY to
> die.

IIRC that type of surgery has a 1% death rate. That particular hospital
accepts high-risk and "near hopeless" patients, so their stats are skewed
quite a bit.

Bill "sick sucks" S.
post #57 of 789

"Chalo" <chumpychump@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The proliferation of giant cars, and trucks used solely as personal
> cars, is an extension of class hostility.

That is a pretty stupid statement, vehicle size has been
much larger in the past (60's 70's) so the poor can certainly
afford, and sometimes can only afford large vehicles.

I doubt you will.find a car much larger than the 5300 Lb
Lincoln MarkV I drove when I was younger(and poorer)

Bernard
post #58 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Chalo" <chumpychump@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The proliferation of giant cars, and trucks used solely as personal
> cars, is an extension of class hostility.

That is a pretty stupid statement, vehicle size has been
much larger in the past (60's 70's) so the poor can certainly
afford, and sometimes can only afford large vehicles.

I doubt you will.find a car much larger than the 5300 Lb
Lincoln MarkV I drove when I was younger(and poorer)

Bernard
post #59 of 789

Bob in CT wrote:
> I agree that there's a place for these SUVs/trucks, but the vast,
> overwhelming majority of people who own them never do anything like
> going off road/hauling anything.

Oh, I know. I was just highly amused by Chalo, who has just convinced
me that he's unfamiliar with the realities of rural America. I know
someone who drives an SUV every day just because she goes camping for 7
days once a year. Married couple, no kids, most of the space goes
unused 358 days a year. That's a lot of gas going to waste. But truly,
you don't want to take a small car up the driveway of the last farm I
owned unless you want to measure its lifespan in months, and I can't
picture a motorcycle getting in at all. I can easily believe that
George Conklin needs a large vehicle to get to his home.

If Chalo were serious, he'd probably owe Conklin some money now.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
post #60 of 789

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <outlook.bugs@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:09:55 GMT, "Bernard Farquart"
> <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote in message
> <Ddl0d.16$g9.4@trnddc06>:
>
>>I doubt you will.find a car much larger than the 5300 Lb
>>Lincoln MarkV I drove when I was younger(and poorer)

> To avoid CAFE the makers like to keep as many as possible over the
> 6,000lb limit. Your Lincoln would also not ride up and over the
> crumple zones of a passenger car like an older SUV (one reason they
> have a much higher kill rate than full-size passenger cars).

My point is that as a "poor" person I was able to afford a "large"
car. the prev. post was saying that largecars were for the rich.

I may not have ridden up and killed anyone, but I was pretty
safe in that thing..

Probably would have hit and flipped a high center of gravity
vehicle in an accident.

Bernard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home