post #76 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"RJ" <re_johnson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1gjx7nc.ezuit0ep15jaN%re_johnson@hotmail.com...
> dan baker <botfood@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > John David Galt <jdg@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote in message

> > > Actually, yes they are, if they have families. EPA's mileage
> > > requirements have destroyed the station wagon, leaving no alternative

> > > SUVs.

> > ----------
> > not true at all.... my mini-van gets almost 30mpg in the city, and
> > closer to 40 on the highway, and fits MORE kids and crap that the
> > giant 22' staionwagons of the past.

> Before I call you liar, what minivan is it that gets 40 mpg highway?

Well, mine gets 150 mpg and hauls 38 kids. -
post #77 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

In article <414266f0@news.ysu.edu>, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@mousepotato.com>
wrote:

> George Conklin wrote:
>
> > My Suburban sees daily use of low 4-wheel drive
> > so I don't tear up my hill. The neighbor who mows his grandparents' and
> > parents' graves next to the house always comes in with a 4-wheel drive, and
> > so does the Xmas tree farmer across the way. In the summer, you can make it
> > on 2-wheel drive if you don't mind throwing stones all over the place and
> > put up with a little skidding. But then again I got stuck with a 2-wheel
> > drive Suburban in the field one summer day when it was damp. I really need
> > a wench on the front of the thing.

> :-)
>
> No, no, no. You need _two_ wenches on the _back_ of the thing. You
> know, chrome naked wenches in silhouette on the mud flaps. Goes just
> great with a rebel flag window decal and a Bud Lite bumper sticker.
>
> The epitome of sophisticated art - if you're an SUV kinda guy! ;-)

Frank:

You must be one of them good ole boys from rural Georgia!

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

post #78 of 789

"Frank Krygowski" <frkrygow@mousepotato.com> wrote in message

> Bikes are beautiful machines. They deserve to be allowed to run.
>
> SUVs or no SUVs, cycling is extremely safe if done with any competence.
> Even in crowded areas, you can usually find pleasant side streets to
> ride. And once you learn a little about cycling in traffic, even most
> major roads are perfectly fine for cycling.
>
> In my experience, there are too many people who use "If only..."
> fantasies to excuse their contribution to the problem. Get out there
> and do what needs to be done!

This is a good point. START!

Even in what seem to be grim circumstances for cycling, there are likely to
be recreational routes.

Then, one can discover how these recreational routes can be used to get to
interesting places, or to shopping places. Maybe you can't get to the big
box Home Depot easily, but you can get to a neighborhood hardware store. The
difference in price is counterbalanced by the savings in fuel (and the
ability to get some daily exercise in).

If/when you move, you can look for bike-friendly locations, much like a
jogger looks for a neighborhood where he/she can run around easily.

Eventually, we did not replace our second car and became a one-car suburban
family, as an experiment. The scheduling snafus were very minimal, and to a
certain exent provided an opportunity for family sharing and conflict
resolution when they did occur.* I do more bike miles in a year than car
miles, and I'm a better and thinner person for it.

I'm still discovering new ways to get places.

* in the interest of full disclosure, we are now a two car, four driver
household. Our older daughter has one car in another state so she can get to
her student teaching assignment. When the 10 year old van gives out, we
don't plan to replace it.
post #79 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Frank Krygowski" <frkrygow@mousepotato.com> wrote in message

> Bikes are beautiful machines. They deserve to be allowed to run.
>
> SUVs or no SUVs, cycling is extremely safe if done with any competence.
> Even in crowded areas, you can usually find pleasant side streets to
> ride. And once you learn a little about cycling in traffic, even most
> major roads are perfectly fine for cycling.
>
> In my experience, there are too many people who use "If only..."
> fantasies to excuse their contribution to the problem. Get out there
> and do what needs to be done!

This is a good point. START!

Even in what seem to be grim circumstances for cycling, there are likely to
be recreational routes.

Then, one can discover how these recreational routes can be used to get to
interesting places, or to shopping places. Maybe you can't get to the big
box Home Depot easily, but you can get to a neighborhood hardware store. The
difference in price is counterbalanced by the savings in fuel (and the
ability to get some daily exercise in).

If/when you move, you can look for bike-friendly locations, much like a
jogger looks for a neighborhood where he/she can run around easily.

Eventually, we did not replace our second car and became a one-car suburban
family, as an experiment. The scheduling snafus were very minimal, and to a
certain exent provided an opportunity for family sharing and conflict
resolution when they did occur.* I do more bike miles in a year than car
miles, and I'm a better and thinner person for it.

I'm still discovering new ways to get places.

* in the interest of full disclosure, we are now a two car, four driver
household. Our older daughter has one car in another state so she can get to
her student teaching assignment. When the 10 year old van gives out, we
don't plan to replace it.
post #80 of 789

"George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Mark Jones" <noemail@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I bought my 4x4 because I wanted it.

> I got mine because I needed it. Otherwise, I would not have purchased it.

Mark loves his gas hog so much he drives it less than five miles to
work-- twice-- every day.

He has a different sense of community responsibility and citizenship
than lots of us; unfortunately there are many millions of others who
think like he does. Each one of them does not inflict so much damage
to be of great concern (except to the people who are killed and maimed
in collisions with them, and their loved ones), but collectively, they
are a pandemic social disaster.

Chalo Colina
post #81 of 789

"Raoul Duke" <spamophile@charter.net> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YhC0d.19304
>
> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome. But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches. This is a working car.

> George,
>
> Frank was making fun of you, I hope you realize. He evidently feels -

based
> on your choice of vehicle and your misspelling of the word "winch" - that

he
> is much more sophisticated than you.
>
> Dave

A wench on the front of the car would be nice, as I said, if she can pull.
post #82 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Raoul Duke" <spamophile@charter.net> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YhC0d.19304
>
> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome. But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches. This is a working car.

> George,
>
> Frank was making fun of you, I hope you realize. He evidently feels -

based
> on your choice of vehicle and your misspelling of the word "winch" - that

he
> is much more sophisticated than you.
>
> Dave

A wench on the front of the car would be nice, as I said, if she can pull.
post #83 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Raoul Duke" <spamophile@charter.net> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YhC0d.19304
>
> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome. But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches. This is a working car.

> George,
>
> Frank was making fun of you, I hope you realize. He evidently feels -

based
> on your choice of vehicle and your misspelling of the word "winch" - that

he
> is much more sophisticated than you.
>
> Dave

A wench on the front of the car would be nice, as I said, if she can pull.
post #84 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Raoul Duke" <spamophile@charter.net> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YhC0d.19304
>
> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome. But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches. This is a working car.

> George,
>
> Frank was making fun of you, I hope you realize. He evidently feels -

based
> on your choice of vehicle and your misspelling of the word "winch" - that

he
> is much more sophisticated than you.
>
> Dave

A wench on the front of the car would be nice, as I said, if she can pull.
post #85 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Raoul Duke" <spamophile@charter.net> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YhC0d.19304
>
> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome. But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches. This is a working car.

> George,
>
> Frank was making fun of you, I hope you realize. He evidently feels -

based
> on your choice of vehicle and your misspelling of the word "winch" - that

he
> is much more sophisticated than you.
>
> Dave

A wench on the front of the car would be nice, as I said, if she can pull.
post #86 of 789

Re: Cities Turning to Bicycles

"Raoul Duke" <spamophile@charter.net> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YhC0d.19304
>
> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome. But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches. This is a working car.

> George,
>
> Frank was making fun of you, I hope you realize. He evidently feels -

based
> on your choice of vehicle and your misspelling of the word "winch" - that

he
> is much more sophisticated than you.
>
> Dave

A wench on the front of the car would be nice, as I said, if she can pull.
post #87 of 789

"Tom Keats" <tomk2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <YhC0d.19304$Wv5.3474@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> >> No, no, no. You need _two_ wenches on the _back_ of the thing. You
> >> know, chrome naked wenches in silhouette on the mud flaps. Goes just
> >> great with a rebel flag window decal and a Bud Lite bumper sticker.
> >>
> >> The epitome of sophisticated art - if you're an SUV kinda guy! ;-)
> >>

> > Nah, I have the basic model because it has to work hard every day.

No
> > time for chrome.

> Yup, a guy could sure go to town, going into business
> with a carful of wenches.

Didn't I say it was a WORKING car? Can she pull?

> > But I do need a wench to pull the tractor out of the
> > ditches.

> Is /that/ what they're calling it these days ...
>
> > This is a working car.

> It certainly is.

Precisely what I wrote. Got it?
post #88 of 789

"Chalo" <chumpychump@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "George Conklin" <nilknoc@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > "Mark Jones" <noemail@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I bought my 4x4 because I wanted it.

> > I got mine because I needed it. Otherwise, I would not have purchased

it.

> Mark loves his gas hog so much he drives it less than five miles to
> work-- twice-- every day.
>
> He has a different sense of community responsibility and citizenship
> than lots of us; unfortunately there are many millions of others who
> think like he does. Each one of them does not inflict so much damage
> to be of great concern (except to the people who are killed and maimed
> in collisions with them, and their loved ones), but collectively, they
> are a pandemic social disaster.
>
> Chalo Colina

You wish.
post #89 of 789

"Bernard Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:

> "Chalo" <chumpychump@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The proliferation of giant cars, and trucks used solely as personal
> > cars, is an extension of class hostility.

> That is a pretty stupid statement, vehicle size has been
> much larger in the past (60's 70's) so the poor can certainly
> afford, and sometimes can only afford large vehicles.
>
> I doubt you will.find a car much larger than the 5300 Lb
> Lincoln MarkV I drove when I was younger(and poorer)

Your understanding of class hostility is fundamentally flawed. When
poor and average income folks acquire conspicuous possessions they
believe will make then appear wealthier and more successful than they
are, they are participating in the same system of class hostility that
keeps them down. And of course when they make do with the
hand-me-downs of a more affluent class, their choice of possessions is
a matter of what the secondhand market provides for the price they are
able to pay. But the giant and noxious cars were originally
manufactured to serve a supercilious and classist market, and whether
that market is actually wealthy or not is immaterial-- It is still a
classist market.

You may have driven a tank of a car when you were of meager means, but
you were driving a cast-off relic of the original buyer's pretensions
and/or arrogance. The car was not made huge and gauche so you, as a
subsquent owner, would buy it.

Correspondingly, it may be tradesmen and other nominally working class
people to whom gigantic and vulgar trucks are marketed, but those
people buy them to address their notions about the class they aspire
to, and to differentiate themselves from those they hold in contempt.

To take the example out of the vehicular realm, it is not upper class
people who can be seen in public wearing a lot of showy gold jewelry.
Those who wear that kind of jewelry do so because to them it gives the
impression of riches. That's an expression of class hostility even if
it is also a sign of sublimated self-contempt.

Chalo Colina
post #90 of 789

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> In article <4e4a3f58.0409092014.63ed602d@posting.google.com>,
> DonQuijote1954 <nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Hey good question, "What would Jesus had driven before an accident?"

> Best answer I've seen is "A panel van with 'Nazarene and Son,
> Carpenters' stenciled on the side."

I always thought the obvious answer to "What would Jesus drive?" was
"Sandals".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: rec.bicycles.rides