Wüsthof Knife Question

Denise~*

Guest
OK, I'm taking the plunge & buying new knives. I'm trying to decide
between 2 different Wüsthof sets. I'm not quite sure what the deal is
with these & I can't decide.

Both of these have been discounted to the same cost so purchase amount
would be the same, but one was originally almost $60.00 more than the
other and comes with less "stuff". Doesn't make sense. I'm not an
expert on knives, so maybe Y'all could help me out here. What makes the
smaller set more valuable than the larger set?

Here was the "lesser" expensive set

Wüsthof Traditional Gourmet 7-Piece Block Set

# Full, seamlessly encased triple-riveted tangs; synthetic
traditional-style handles
# Includes 4-inch parer, 4-1/2-inch utility, 8-inch carver, 8-inch chef's
# Also: shears, 9-inch sharpening steel, 9-slot oak block
# Laser-cut high-carbon steel blade with stain-resistant alloy
# Precise tapering from grinding and polishing procedure

Product Description

Review
Representing Wüsthof’s Gourmet series of knives, this block set features
less expensive versions of the knives in the manufacturer’s Classic
series. Knives in the set include a 4-inch parer, 4-1/2-inch serrated
utility, 8-inch chef's, kitchen shears, and 9-inch sharpening steel.
Everything fits within the 9-slot rubber-footed oak block. Although the
blades are still made of high-carbon steel with a stain-resistant alloy,
the difference in the Gourmet series is that the blade is a thinner
quality metal and is cut by a precision laser instead of by hand. The
blade still has an ideal shape as it is ground and polished by computer
to ensure perfect tapering from tip to bolster. Full tangs extend
through the synthetic traditional-style handles, which are
triple-riveted for strength. These knives are dishwasher-safe but
handwashing is recommended to preserve the edges on the blades. The
Gourmet series is an excellent alternative for those who want to own
quality Wüsthof cutlery but are on a budget.

What's in the Box
4-inch parer; 4-1/2-inch utility; 8-inch carver; 8-inch chef's; shears;
9-inch sharpening steel; 9-slot oak block

Product Description
Wusthof has been make knives in Germany for over 190 years. The fine
high carbon no stain steel retains its edge for a long time and is easy
to sharpen. Gourmet is a laser cut blade. The full tang 3 rivited handle
is sturdy and well balanced. The 7pc set includes, 4" parer, 4.5"
utility serrated, 8"carver, 8"cooks, kitchen shear, 9"sharpening steel,
9 slot oak block

Here is the "more" expensive set

Wüsthof Grand Prix 5-Piece Knife Block Set

# Full tangs; molded polypropylene handles; lifetime warranty
# Knives include: 6-inch cook's, 8-inch carving, 3-inch paring
# Also includes: 9-inch sharpening steel; 9-slot oak block
# Blades formed of single piece of high-carbon, stain-resistant steel
# Computer-ground, hand-honed blades; precision slicing; longer edge
retention

Review
This set includes an assortment of short-blade cutlery designed for
chefs with smaller hands. These specialty knives are difficult to find
packaged together. The set contains: a 6-inch cook’s knife--a staple for
chopping meats and vegetables; an 8-inch carving knife for slicing
steaks and roasts; and a 3-inch paring knife for slicing garlic or
peeling fruit. The 9-inch honing steel has a magnetic steel shaft in a
fine to medium grit that sharpens without damaging knife edges. A 9-slot
oak block stores the cutlery in this set, while leaving room for
additional pieces.

Wüsthof’s Grand Prix knives have the perfect balance of high-carbon,
no-stain steel. Knives retain their edge longer, and never become
discolored. Blades are ground and polished by computer, ensuring perfect
tapering from bolster to tip. Edges are hand-honed for precision
slicing. The tang extends through a slip-free, molded, polypropylene
handle for excellent balance and heft. The knives are
dishwasher-safe--though hand washing is recommended. All Wüsthof cutlery
is covered under a lifetime warranty. --Cristina Vaamonde
What’s in the Box
6-inch cook’s knife, 8-inch carving knife, 3-inch paring knife, 9-inch
sharpening steel, 9-slot oak block.

Product Description
This five-piece cutlery collection from the Wüsthof Grand Prix line
outfits your kitchen with everything you need to slice, dice, and chop
all your favorite foods. The set includes a 3-inch paring knife for
peeling fruits and vegetables, a 6-inch utility knife for slicing
mushrooms and mincing garlic, a 6-inch cook's knife for all-purpose
chopping and slicing, a 9-inch sharpening steel, and a nine-slot wooden
storage block. Each knife features a precision-forged high-carbon
stainless-steel blade with a full bolster and tang. The forging process
gives the blades remarkable sharpness and durability, as does the
computer-controlled grinding and polishing process. When the blades
eventually dull, as all blades do, the sharpening steel will re-hone the
edges with a few quick swipes.

The handles are comfortable in the hands thanks to the slip-free,
pebble-grained grip. Each handle also enhances the balance of the knife
thanks to the full tang and single-piece construction, making them
easier to manipulate and control. Wüsthof recommends hand washing the
cutlery--which comes with a limited lifetime warranty--for best results.

What's in the Box
3-inch paring knife, 6-inch utility knife, 6-inch cook's knife, 9-inch
sharpening steel, wooden storage block

Product Description
Wusthof has been making the finest knives in the world for over 190
years. Through excellent craftsman ship and engineering the Grand Prix
knife line has become one of the finest in the world. This 5 piece set
includes 3-inch parer, 8-inch carving, 6-inch cooks, 9-inch steel and a
9-slot storage block.

Denise~* wrote:
> OK, I'm taking the plunge & buying new knives. I'm trying to decide
> between 2 different Wüsthof sets. [snip]

First question is why buy a set? What knife or knives do you need? As
with pots and pans many of us find that buying individual pieces gives
us a better chance of meeting our specific needs.

> Both of these have been discounted to the same cost so purchase
> amount would be the same, but one was originally almost $60.00
> more than the other [snip]

Why does it matter what the former prices were? That's not an
indication of quality or how they will fit with your needs.

> Here was the "lesser" expensive set
>
> Wüsthof Traditional Gourmet 7-Piece Block Set
>
> # Full, seamlessly encased triple-riveted tangs; synthetic
> traditional-style handles
> # Includes 4-inch parer, 4-1/2-inch utility, 8-inch carver, 8-inch

chef's
> # Also: shears, 9-inch sharpening steel, 9-slot oak block
> # Laser-cut high-carbon steel blade with stain-resistant alloy
> # Precise tapering from grinding and polishing procedure
>
> [snip]
>
> Here is the "more" expensive set
>
> Wüsthof Grand Prix 5-Piece Knife Block Set
>
> # Full tangs; molded polypropylene handles; lifetime warranty
> # Knives include: 6-inch cook's, 8-inch carving, 3-inch paring
> # Also includes: 9-inch sharpening steel; 9-slot oak block
> # Blades formed of single piece of high-carbon, stain-resistant steel
> # Computer-ground, hand-honed blades; precision slicing; longer edge
> retention

[snip]
Okay, so it's 3 knives, one of which is a 6" cook's, versus 4 knives,
one of which is an 8" cook's, plus shears. The smaller set has
traditional (but synthetic) handles, the larger set molded polyprop.
The larger set has laser-cut blades, the smaller has ground, hand-honed
blades.

If it were me, I'd have to go to the store and try them out for how
they feel in my hand. Some knifes just fit, and others don't. If it
doesn't feel right, nothing else matters. This is even true for my
Chinese cleavers.

Quality and longevity of both will be outstanding because they're
Wusthof. In terms of knife-making technology you'd have to think that
the ground and honed blades have the potential for greater sharpness.
But both will be plenty sharp enough, and both will require good care
to maintain it. So it comes down to, what do you need and do they feel
good in your hand.

Personally, a 6" cook's knife is too small for me, I much prefer the 8"
size. And I've never had a serrated utility knife, that might be
useful. So I'd go with the larger set, but that's me, not you.

-aem

> First question is why buy a set? What knife or knives do you need? As
> with pots and pans many of us find that buying individual pieces gives
> us a better chance of meeting our specific needs.

I do pretty much need to replace most of my knifes, and I thought a set
would accomplish this. Plus the cost for the set is right in my budget,
-vs- just buying one Wusthof knife will kill my budget. I like that
there are more slots in the block, than knifes that come with the set,
this way I can put a couple of my old favorites in the other slots.

> Why does it matter what the former prices were? That's not an
> indication of quality or how they will fit with your needs.

I have pretty much no clue about knife lingo, this is why I was
wondering. Youactually answered this question below about the knife blades.

> Okay, so it's 3 knives, one of which is a 6" cook's, versus 4 knives,
> one of which is an 8" cook's, plus shears. The smaller set has
> traditional (but synthetic) handles, the larger set molded polyprop.
> The larger set has laser-cut blades, the smaller has ground, hand-honed
> blades.

I actually have a 3 stage electric knife sharpener that I purchased
about a year ago. Does anyone know if one of these blade "styles" works
better with an electric sharpener?

> If it were me, I'd have to go to the store and try them out for how
> they feel in my hand. Some knifes just fit, and others don't. If it
> doesn't feel right, nothing else matters. This is even true for my
> Chinese cleavers.

I know, but the handles look pretty standard. I don't really have much
difficulty with different shaped handles, with the exception of too
small & they dont really look small. I'll take my chances.

> Quality and longevity of both will be outstanding because they're
> Wusthof. In terms of knife-making technology you'd have to think that
> the ground and honed blades have the potential for greater sharpness.
> But both will be plenty sharp enough, and both will require good care
> to maintain it. So it comes down to, what do you need and do they feel
> good in your hand.
>
> Personally, a 6" cook's knife is too small for me, I much prefer the 8"
> size. And I've never had a serrated utility knife, that might be
> useful.

Good points

> So I'd go with the larger set, but that's me, not you.
> -aem

Thanks for the help.

"Denise~*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> First question is why buy a set? What knife or knives do you need? As
>> with pots and pans many of us find that buying individual pieces gives
>> us a better chance of meeting our specific needs.

> I do pretty much need to replace most of my knifes, and I thought a set
> would accomplish this. Plus the cost for the set is right in my
> budget, -vs- just buying one Wusthof knife will kill my budget. I like
> that there are more slots in the block, than knifes that come with the
> set, this way I can put a couple of my old favorites in the other slots.
>
>> Why does it matter what the former prices were? That's not an
>> indication of quality or how they will fit with your needs.

> I have pretty much no clue about knife lingo, this is why I was wondering.
> Youactually answered this question below about the knife blades.
>
>> Okay, so it's 3 knives, one of which is a 6" cook's, versus 4 knives,
>> one of which is an 8" cook's, plus shears. The smaller set has
>> traditional (but synthetic) handles, the larger set molded polyprop.
>> The larger set has laser-cut blades, the smaller has ground, hand-honed
>> blades.

> I actually have a 3 stage electric knife sharpener that I purchased about
> a year ago. Does anyone know if one of these blade "styles" works better
> with an electric sharpener?

I wouldn't recommend using it on your Wusthof knives. When you buy high
quality knives, you should think about having them sharpened by an expert.
I purchased the Wusthof Classic set almost a year ago. I still can't get
over how well they perform compared to the piece of **** knives I was using
so I won't be using an electric knife sharpener. I'll have them
professionally done.

>> If it were me, I'd have to go to the store and try them out for how
>> they feel in my hand. Some knifes just fit, and others don't. If it
>> doesn't feel right, nothing else matters. This is even true for my
>> Chinese cleavers.

> I know, but the handles look pretty standard. I don't really have much
> difficulty with different shaped handles, with the exception of too small
> & they dont really look small. I'll take my chances.
>
>> Quality and longevity of both will be outstanding because they're
>> Wusthof. In terms of knife-making technology you'd have to think that
>> the ground and honed blades have the potential for greater sharpness.
>> But both will be plenty sharp enough, and both will require good care
>> to maintain it. So it comes down to, what do you need and do they feel
>> good in your hand.
>>
>> Personally, a 6" cook's knife is too small for me, I much prefer the 8"
>> size. And I've never had a serrated utility knife, that might be
>> useful.

The 8" knife fits my hand perfectly but my wife is tiny and the 8" is too
much for her. She has given me permission to buy her a Wusthof 6" chef's
knife. Like I was reluctant to do so. Kind of like when she "made" me
purchase a digital camcorder before Christmas. Yeah, real arm twister
there! ;->

> Good points
>
>> So I'd go with the larger set, but that's me, not you.
>> -aem

> Thanks for the help.

Wusthof is a pretty big investment when you consider that you are buy knives
but since I bought my set, I think it was one of the better investments I've
ever made.

Bret

The Gran Prix are far superior to the Gourmet line. The former has
forged blades and the latter has stamped blades.

Steve
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

Denise~* wrote:

> [...]
> edges with a few quick swipes.
>
> The handles are comfortable in the hands thanks to the slip-free,
> pebble-grained grip. Each handle also enhances the balance of the knife
> thanks to the full tang and single-piece construction, making them
> easier to manipulate and control. Wüsthof recommends hand washing the
> cutlery--which comes with a limited lifetime warranty--for best results.
>
> What's in the Box
> 3-inch paring knife, 6-inch utility knife, 6-inch cook's knife, 9-inch
> sharpening steel, wooden storage block
>
> Product Description
> Wusthof has been making the finest knives in the world for over 190
> years. Through excellent craftsman ship and engineering the Grand Prix
> knife line has become one of the finest in the world. This 5 piece set
> includes 3-inch parer, 8-inch carving, 6-inch cooks, 9-inch steel and a

Old post on the taxonomy of wusthof knives:

http://tinyurl.com/3p59y

The Grand Prix have better blades, being forged, than the Gourmet are.
Essentially, the Grand Prix is the Classic with a different handle.

The Grand Prix use the less-expensive plastic molded handles, which
some people think are more comfortable than the squared handles of
the Classic, though some people think the squared handles are more
maneuverable.

The Gourmet models use a much cheaper, stamped blade,
and they lack the bolster (the metal finger-guard between
the handle and blade), so they are overall much cheaper
and lighter.

The Gourmet do have rivets in the handle, which you may
prefer the look of. And it is the squared-off shape
of the Classic handle.

The discount on the Grand Prix set you're looking at is
a very good deal, but, as you noted, you're only getting
three knives, where the Gourmet set adds a utility knife
and a set of shears.

So it's a question of quality vs. functionality, and as the
prices are identical, it's up to you.

--Blair
"Do supply and demand proud."

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Old post on the taxonomy of wusthof knives:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3p59y
>
> The Grand Prix have better blades, being forged, than the Gourmet

are.
> Essentially, the Grand Prix is the Classic with a different handle.
>
> The Grand Prix use the less-expensive plastic molded handles, which
> some people think are more comfortable than the squared handles of
> the Classic, though some people think the squared handles are more
> maneuverable.
>
> The Gourmet models use a much cheaper, stamped blade,
> and they lack the bolster (the metal finger-guard between
> the handle and blade), so they are overall much cheaper
> and lighter.
>
> The Gourmet do have rivets in the handle, which you may
> prefer the look of. And it is the squared-off shape
> of the Classic handle.
>
> The discount on the Grand Prix set you're looking at is
> a very good deal, but, as you noted, you're only getting
> three knives, where the Gourmet set adds a utility knife
> and a set of shears.
>
> So it's a question of quality vs. functionality, and as the
> prices are identical, it's up to you.

I'd go with fewer but better quality knives, you can always add later
as budget permits... and I have a kitchen shears sitting in a drawer
for at least 40 years, never used for shearing, not even once... but it
does have bottle cap opening capability that does get occasional use,
but a pair of slip joint pliers works just as well. For general
kitchen work all anyone really needs is just four knives; a chefs
knife, a paring knife, a boning knife, and a bread knife.

Sheldon

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

snip

> So it's a question of quality vs. functionality, and as the
> prices are identical, it's up to you.
>
> --Blair
> "Do supply and demand proud."

Thank you so much for posting this. I believe I have made my decision
now, base on yours & Steve B's responses
I alrealy have two kitchen shears, so I'm no so sure if I need another,
since I don't really use them that often anyhow, and I know it comes
with a Untility knife, but I have tons of serrated knives that I use all
the time, I use them everday as a matter of fact just for the purpose of
cutting grapes & other fruits for my 2.7 year old. I'm just not so sure
if it's that important to me to have another one.

I much prefer a better blade than a cheaper one. Thanks!

Steve B. wrote:

> The Gran Prix are far superior to the Gourmet line. The former has
> forged blades and the latter has stamped blades.
>
> Steve
> Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
> Tools by Steve Bottorff
> Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
> www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

Thanks! I think I'll take a look at your site too.

On 10 Mar 2005 17:30:25 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Blair P. Houghton wrote:

<snip>

>I'd go with fewer but better quality knives, you can always add later
>as budget permits... and I have a kitchen shears sitting in a drawer
>for at least 40 years, never used for shearing, not even once... but it
>does have bottle cap opening capability that does get occasional use,
>but a pair of slip joint pliers works just as well. For general
>kitchen work all anyone really needs is just four knives; a chefs
>knife, a paring knife, a boning knife, and a bread knife.

I'm with Sheldon on this one.

I currently have four knives in my block:

An 8" Cuisine de France Commercial Sabatier, high carbon stainless
steel chef's knife with a moulded handle, _my_ knife. Was $110.00 Cdn
at time of purchase.

A 8" Lagostina Pro-force stainless steel chef's knife with a riveted
handle, the _guest_ knife. Was $75.00 Cdn at time of purchase

A generic bread knife, 50 cents at a garage sale.

A Farberware Pro stainless steel paring knife, about $17.00 Cdn at
time of purchase.

I still have to get a boning knife, but it isn't high priority, as I
don't do much deboning.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

<snip>

> I'd go with fewer but better quality knives, you can always add later
> as budget permits... and I have a kitchen shears sitting in a drawer
> for at least 40 years, never used for shearing, not even once... but it
> does have bottle cap opening capability that does get occasional use,
> but a pair of slip joint pliers works just as well. For general
> kitchen work all anyone really needs is just four knives; a chefs
> knife, a paring knife, a boning knife, and a bread knife.
>
> Sheldon

How about a nice long slicing knife?

Kswck wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I'd go with fewer but better quality knives, you can always add

later
> > as budget permits... and I have a kitchen shears sitting in a

drawer
> > for at least 40 years, never used for shearing, not even once...

but it
> > does have bottle cap opening capability that does get occasional

use,
> > but a pair of slip joint pliers works just as well. For general
> > kitchen work all anyone really needs is just four knives; a chefs
> > knife, a paring knife, a boning knife, and a bread knife.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> How about a nice long slicing knife?

"long" is not a measurement, and "nice" is the dumbest word ever
created.

Very few people need to slice anything at home that can't be easily
handled with their chefs knife... I can't remember the last time I
served a steamboat roast. I have all sorts of slicers/tranchards but I
prefer to use an 8" chefs knife to slice all roasts, including 25lb
holiday turkeys. When dollars are no object by all means buy out the
cutlery shop... but for those on a tight budget, all anyone really
needs is the four aforementioned knives... and most folks can do
without a boning knife, for home use a quality 3 1/2" parer will do the
occasional deboning job just fine... I use an 8" chefs knife to
disjoint and debone poultry all the time

Sheldon

LIke one poster above said, don't buy a set! Take your time and
acquire individual pieces for your hand and favorite uses. I started
with an equal number of Wusthof and Henckels. Now any additions are
Henckels. I prefer them, better balanced, usually on sale for a
greater percentage discount (keep checking Cooking.com, many on sale
right now), and they take a home sharpening better.
..
Other pieces I have are Chicago Cutlery and Ace Hardware (really).

[email protected] wrote:
> LIke one poster above said, don't buy a set! Take your time and
> acquire individual pieces for your hand and favorite uses. I started
> with an equal number of Wusthof and Henckels. Now any additions are
> Henckels. I prefer them, better balanced, usually on sale for a
> greater percentage discount (keep checking Cooking.com, many on sale
> right now), and they take a home sharpening better.
> .
> Other pieces I have are Chicago Cutlery and Ace Hardware (really).

Well the set I have decided to buy is cheaper than 1 Wusthof knive, and
with the set I'll get 3 knifes, a new block & sharpening tool, so
really I think this is a good buy. The block has 9 slots, so I can add
more pieces at any time, or keep some of my old favorites. :)

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kswck wrote:
>> <snip>

[snip to restore attributions]
>> How about a nice long slicing knife?

> "long" is not a measurement, and "nice" is the dumbest word ever
> created.
>
> Very few people need to slice anything at home that can't be easily
> handled with their chefs knife... I can't remember the last time I
> served a steamboat roast. I have all sorts of slicers/tranchards but I

Tranchelards. ;-)

I otherwise agree with Sheldon's assessment. I purchased a Messermeister
10" slicer with the granton edge. It gets used 2-3 time a year, and then
only as part of the presentation when we're having guests.

Maitre d' knives are more for show than anything else.

Marc