Salt question

biig

Guest
There is so much talk about different salts on cooking shows. I'm
confused. Is it mostly a matter of personal taste or is there a
specific reason for using a certain kind? (besides that of Kosher salt)
I have starting using sea salt after hearing so much talk about it.
Thanks
.........Sharon

"biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> There is so much talk about different salts on cooking shows. I'm
> confused. Is it mostly a matter of personal taste or is there a
> specific reason for using a certain kind? (besides that of Kosher salt)
> I have starting using sea salt after hearing so much talk about it.
> Thanks
> .........Sharon

I believe the differences are in the flavor - which come from the
impurities,
and in the various salts that occur in the mix.
Chemically, most "salt" is sodium chloride, and like the oceans from which
most originally come, contains traces of potassium chloride, calcium
chloride, magnesium chloride, aluminum chloride, and a few other compounds.

As I understand -
Sea salt is from modern oceans, dried from sea water, and contains the
recent residue of plants and animals who died in the ocean, bilge flushes,
diesel oil, smokestack emissions, dumped banned pesticides, leaking
radioactive material dumped into the ocean decades ago, and other such
flavorants mixed in.

Mined salt comes from ancient oceans that dried up millions of years
back, and contains bits of sea-going dinosaurs and the like. (And anything
aliens may have dumped off on their way by. :) ).

Many say the ancient sea salt lacks the flavor of modern sea salt. Given
what is in the modern oceans and seas, they are probably correct.

Also, most (if not all) table salts are iodized (i.e. dosed with iodine).
Once you switch to a pure salt, you realize how nasty a flavour table salt
actually has.

Bob

"Bob Westcott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Also, most (if not all) table salts are iodized (i.e. dosed with iodine).
> Once you switch to a pure salt, you realize how nasty a flavour table salt
> actually has.

Yes, by all means. I most definitely agree that I find that the iodine
compound they add to most commercial table salt has a strong odor.

-- wrote:
> biig wrote:
>
> > There is so much talk about different salts on cooking shows.

I'm
> > confused. Is it mostly a matter of personal taste or is there a
> > specific reason for using a certain kind? (besides that of Kosher

salt)
> > I have starting using sea salt after hearing so much talk about it.

> I believe the differences are in the flavor - which come from the
> impurities, and in the various salts that occur in the mix.

> Sea salt is from modern oceans, dried from sea water, and contains

the
> recent residue of plants and animals who died in the ocean, bilge

flushes,
> diesel oil, smokestack emissions, dumped banned pesticides, leaking
> radioactive material dumped into the ocean decades ago, and other

such
> flavorants mixed in.

It contains something on the order of 10% potassium
and 1% other mineral salts. The exact mixture
depends mostly on the extraction method and partly
on where is was taken from the sea.

> Mined salt comes from ancient oceans that dried up millions of years
> back, and contains bits of sea-going dinosaurs and the like. (And

anything
> aliens may have dumped off on their way by. :) ).

The drying process also does a pretty good purification
job. As mixed mineral water dries, certain salts come
out early, certain salts come out late. Sodium chloride
comes out in the middle. So as a sea bed dries the
bottom will have gunk with lots of assorted minerals,
the middle will be closer to pure sodium chloride than
dissolved sea water is, and the top will have gunk with
a different slurry of assorted minerals. Often errosion
will handle the top, so what remains is to dig through
the reasonably pure sodium chloride until you hit a layer
that is not nearly as pure, and then the mine has been
exhauster.

Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than
sea salt, and mined sea is further refined on site to
increase that purity.

> Many say the ancient sea salt lacks the flavor of modern sea salt.

Given
> what is in the modern oceans and seas, they are probably correct.

It's the mixture of minerals.

Doug Freyburger writes:
>Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than sea salt

Nope. Mined salt IS sea salt.

Now that we're done with the technical stuff LOL.....Is there any one
type that you all prefer...or prefer for certain uses? Thanks....Sharon

Sheldon wrote:

> Doug Freyburger writes:
> >Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than sea salt

> Nope. Mined salt IS sea salt.

"Fleur de Sel" is a fabulous salt. It's too expensive to use in
cooking--just use it on top of salads, vegetables, etc. Put a bit of
it on your tongue--wonderful taste!

Nancree

Sheldon wrote:
> Doug Freyburger writes:
>
> > Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than sea salt

> Nope. Mined salt IS sea salt.

As you wrote in another message, many brands of
sea salt use an extraction process that
effectively purifies to NaCl. All mined salt
is similarly purified and the mining companies
can do further purification if the sea in their
mine isn't pure enough.

There are brands that have nearly the same
portions as can be found in sea water because
they went through a complete evaporation
process. In your other post you recommend
avoiding those brands.

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Doug Freyburger writes:
> >
> > > Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than sea salt

> > Nope. Mined salt IS sea salt.

> As you wrote in another message, many brands of
> sea salt use an extraction process that
> effectively purifies to NaCl. All mined salt
> is similarly purified and the mining companies
> can do further purification if the sea in their
> mine isn't pure enough.
>
> There are brands that have nearly the same
> portions as can be found in sea water because
> they went through a complete evaporation
> process. In your other post you recommend
> avoiding those brands.

I can't respond to you because what you say is such discombobulated
blathering as to be deranged.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Doug Freyburger writes:
> >Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than sea salt

> Nope. Mined salt IS sea salt.

Salt from different sources does have different flavors.

The really big difference comes from using iodized or non-iodized salt,
IMO. I started using Kosher salt a couple of years ago (it's not
iodized) and I was amazed at the difference. I can no longer detect
*any* odor coming from my salt shaker; I always thought it was from the
salt, but it turns out it was just iodine.

Isaac

Isaac Wingefield wrote:

> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Doug Freyburger writes:
> > >Mined salt is closer to pure sodium chloride than sea salt

> > Nope. Mined salt IS sea salt.

> Salt from different sources does have different flavors.

Nope, not typical table salts... they've been purified to the point
where their origin is undetectable... some may contain iodine and/or
anti clumping compounds but those are *additions* to purified salt,
which are added in very specfic controlled quantities, same as if one
uses *seasoned salts*. Only *raw* sea salts possess unique flavors,
but should be used with discretion.... anyone ingesting raw sea salts
regularly and/or taking medications, and/or pregnant, breast feeding,
or intending either, needs to first consult with their medical
professional.... regularly ingesting raw sea salts is no different from
regularly sipping sea water, and from coastal areas, the most polluted
sea water. Man has gone to a lot of trouble learning to process salt
so it's pure/safe, and now we have raw sea salt imbeciles who'd rather
literally eat ****... notice how most of those **** laden salts are
French, 'bout the filthiest folks on the planet.... is there a
correlation between unctious filth, raw sea salt, and cowardice,
probably.

Sheldon