"Cook's Country" magazine. Whaddaya think?

Leo Scanlon

Guest
I got my charter issue of "Cook's Country," the new magazine from
the Cook's Illustrated folks. The first thing that hit me was, man,
this sucker is huge! I don't mean thickness-wise (it's only 32
pages), but it's about the size of the old Life magazine. That's a
negative for me. But that's about the only negative I have. It's
very reader-oriented, with a lot of content coming from contest
results, stories of cooking mishaps, requests for recipes, and the
like. In fact, it's a little like this newsgroup, except this
rec.food.cooking doesn't cost me $19.99/year.

Will I pay for the subscription? I haven't decided yet. God knows
we don't need another magazine coming into the house, but it looks
worthwhile and is certainly entertaining.

Leo

Leo Scanlon <[email protected]> wrote:
>I got my charter issue of "Cook's Country," the new magazine from
>the Cook's Illustrated folks. The first thing that hit me was, man,
>this sucker is huge! I don't mean thickness-wise (it's only 32
>pages), but it's about the size of the old Life magazine. That's a
>negative for me. But that's about the only negative I have. It's
>very reader-oriented, with a lot of content coming from contest
>results, stories of cooking mishaps, requests for recipes, and the
>like. In fact, it's a little like this newsgroup, except this
>rec.food.cooking doesn't cost me $19.99/year.
>
>Will I pay for the subscription? I haven't decided yet. God knows
>we don't need another magazine coming into the house, but it looks
>worthwhile and is certainly entertaining.

There's an old country phrase that fits this magazine perfectly:

"Soft as puppy-****."

Cook's Illustrated is aimed at a pretty low IQ on a good
day, but reading through Cook's Country made my teeth hurt.

--Blair
"The nation's marketing structure
is definitely shifting red-state."

In article <[email protected]>,
"Leo Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I got my charter issue of "Cook's Country," the new magazine from
> the Cook's Illustrated folks. The first thing that hit me was, man,
> this sucker is huge! I don't mean thickness-wise (it's only 32
> pages), but it's about the size of the old Life magazine. That's a
> negative for me. But that's about the only negative I have. It's
> very reader-oriented, with a lot of content coming from contest
> results, stories of cooking mishaps, requests for recipes, and the
> like. In fact, it's a little like this newsgroup, except this
> rec.food.cooking doesn't cost me $19.99/year.
>
> Will I pay for the subscription? I haven't decided yet. God knows
> we don't need another magazine coming into the house, but it looks
> worthwhile and is certainly entertaining.
>
> Leo

I was underwhelmed. I decided not to subscribe.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Cindy Fuller at [email protected] wrote on 3/10/05 7:18 PM:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Leo Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I got my charter issue of "Cook's Country," the new magazine from
>> the Cook's Illustrated folks. The first thing that hit me was, man,
>> this sucker is huge! I don't mean thickness-wise (it's only 32
>> pages), but it's about the size of the old Life magazine. That's a
>> negative for me. But that's about the only negative I have. It's
>> very reader-oriented, with a lot of content coming from contest
>> results, stories of cooking mishaps, requests for recipes, and the
>> like. In fact, it's a little like this newsgroup, except this
>> rec.food.cooking doesn't cost me $19.99/year.
>>
>> Will I pay for the subscription? I haven't decided yet. God knows
>> we don't need another magazine coming into the house, but it looks
>> worthwhile and is certainly entertaining.
>>
>> Leo

> I was underwhelmed. I decided not to subscribe.
>
> Cindy

On a related note, I got a sample issue of Cook's Illustrated the other day.
I think a year's subscription is about $20. I was invited to get Cook's
Country, but it sounded to me like a low-rent version of Cook's Illustrated,
so I tossed the invite for the free issue.

Now I got CI. I really enjoyed reading it, but I'm not sure I'd want it for
a year.

Am trying to figure out how I got on this list, since I moved almost 2 years
ago and really haven't put my name on many mailings with this address. it's
amazing how little junk mail you get when you don't give out your address,
except to friends and the utility companies. I did subscribe to Everyday
Food, which is a food magazine I really enjoy and I actually make the
recipes in there. I was a charter subscriber to that one, though I took a
year off when I first moved. Ah-Hah! That's probably how they got me.
Anyway, I look forward to that magazine every month. The food is easy to
prepare but always elegant, and always using the freshest ingredients, and
not too many boxed items. (Canned tomatoes, canned stock--frozen veggies,
frozen ravioli, stuff like that, for convenience's sake, but that's about
it). Sort of an upscale "America's Home Cooking".

Anyway, I really like Everyday Food, the magazine, but am not thrilled with
the tv show.

And I haven't decided if I want a year's worth of Cook's Illustrated.

I liked it....but I'm not sure if it would hold my interest for 12 months.

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Cindy Fuller at [email protected] wrote on 3/10/05 7:18 PM:
>

>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>"Leo Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I got my charter issue of "Cook's Country," the new magazine from
>>>the Cook's Illustrated folks. The first thing that hit me was, man,
>>>this sucker is huge! I don't mean thickness-wise (it's only 32
>>>pages), but it's about the size of the old Life magazine. That's a
>>>negative for me. But that's about the only negative I have. It's
>>>very reader-oriented, with a lot of content coming from contest
>>>results, stories of cooking mishaps, requests for recipes, and the
>>>like. In fact, it's a little like this newsgroup, except this
>>>rec.food.cooking doesn't cost me $19.99/year.
>>>
>>>Will I pay for the subscription? I haven't decided yet. God knows
>>>we don't need another magazine coming into the house, but it looks
>>>worthwhile and is certainly entertaining.
>>>
>>>Leo

>>I was underwhelmed. I decided not to subscribe.
>>
>>Cindy

> On a related note, I got a sample issue of Cook's Illustrated the other day.
> I think a year's subscription is about $20. I was invited to get Cook's
> Country, but it sounded to me like a low-rent version of Cook's Illustrated,
> so I tossed the invite for the free issue.
>
> Now I got CI. I really enjoyed reading it, but I'm not sure I'd want it for
> a year.
>
> Am trying to figure out how I got on this list, since I moved almost 2 years
> ago and really haven't put my name on many mailings with this address. it's
> amazing how little junk mail you get when you don't give out your address,
> except to friends and the utility companies. I did subscribe to Everyday
> Food, which is a food magazine I really enjoy and I actually make the
> recipes in there. I was a charter subscriber to that one, though I took a
> year off when I first moved. Ah-Hah! That's probably how they got me.
> Anyway, I look forward to that magazine every month. The food is easy to
> prepare but always elegant, and always using the freshest ingredients, and
> not too many boxed items. (Canned tomatoes, canned stock--frozen veggies,
> frozen ravioli, stuff like that, for convenience's sake, but that's about
> it). Sort of an upscale "America's Home Cooking".
>
> Anyway, I really like Everyday Food, the magazine, but am not thrilled with
> the tv show.
>
> And I haven't decided if I want a year's worth of Cook's Illustrated.
>
> I liked it....but I'm not sure if it would hold my interest for 12 months.

Following up, my 83-year-old mom likes the no nonsense approach of this
new magazine. Cuts all the extraneous stuff outta Cook's Illustrated.

Everyone will fall somewhere between loving it or hating it.

I view it as a stripped down to the essentials version of CI.

jim

In article <[email protected]>, Leo
Scanlon <[email protected]> wrote:

> I got my charter issue of "Cook's Country," the new magazine from
> the Cook's Illustrated folks. The first thing that hit me was, man,
> this sucker is huge! I don't mean thickness-wise (it's only 32
> pages), but it's about the size of the old Life magazine. That's a
> negative for me. But that's about the only negative I have. It's
> very reader-oriented, with a lot of content coming from contest
> results, stories of cooking mishaps, requests for recipes, and the
> like. In fact, it's a little like this newsgroup, except this
> rec.food.cooking doesn't cost me $19.99/year.
>
> Will I pay for the subscription? I haven't decided yet. God knows
> we don't need another magazine coming into the house, but it looks
> worthwhile and is certainly entertaining.
>
> Leo

The first issue was better than the second; we'll see what the third
one offers.

My problem with Cook's Illustrated is that somewhere in the prep, they
call for a back flip which my kitchen is too small to accommodate. Or a
half dozen spices in a sauce which tastes to me a lot like tomato. Of
course my taste is pedestrian and I've never had a bad Cook's recipe.

I recently purchased an annual Taste of Home recipe book which offers
simpler recipes for those times you don't feel like a Cook's marathon.
But I still won't use instant rice and the microwave unless I
absolutely have to.

Whoever said you can't teach an old dog any tricks is probably right.

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BE5663B7.62671%[email protected]...

<cut to the chase>

> I was invited to get Cook's Country, but it sounded to me like a low-rent
> version of Cook's Illustrated,

That's it! That's it!

Felice