Re: Atlanta: Suspect got Gun by Overpowering the Female Deputy

USA wrote:
> What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces is
> the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that this
> female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to control
> the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
> "protecting" were killed.

> Three Shot Dead at Ga. Trial; Gunman Flees
>
> By HARRY WEBER, Associated Press Writer
>
> ATLANTA - A man being escorted into court for his rape trial Friday
> stole a deputy's gun, killed the judge and two other people and
> carjacked a reporter's vehicle to escape, setting off a massive
> manhunt and creating widespread chaos across Atlanta, police said.
>
> Hundreds of officers in cruisers and helicopters swarmed the area in
> the search of the suspect, identified as 33-year-old Brian Nichols.

He
> had been on trial for rape, burglary and other charges stemming from
> an August incident involving an ex-girlfriend.
>
> The rampage led to chaos around the city, with schools, restaurants
> and office buildings locking down amid fears that the suspect might
> strike again. Nichols' mug shot was plastered all over TV screens,

and
> highway message boards issued descriptions of the stolen vehicle.
>
> "Mr. Nichols is considered armed and extremely dangerous and should
> not be approached," Fulton County Sheriff Myron Freeman said. "We are
> not going to rest until we find him."
>
> Nichols got the gun by overpowering the female deputy while he was
> being led down a corridor in the Fulton County Courthouse, Assistant
> Police Chief Alan Dreher said. After shooting the deputy in the face,
> the suspect then went to the courtroom, held about a dozen people at
> bay for a short time and shot and killed the judge and a court
> reporter, he said.
>
> Another deputy was later killed outside the Atlanta courthouse when

he
> confronted the suspect, Dreher said. The deputy shot while leading
> Nichols to court survived, but details about her condition were not
> immediately known.
>
> Authorities said Nichols then pistol-whipped a reporter for The
> Atlanta Journal-Constitution, stole his green 1997 Honda Accord and
> sped away.
>
> "When he had the gun in my face, you start to think, `How can I stay
> alive.' I thought this was a routine carjack. I didn't know two

people
> other were killed," said Don O'Briant, a features writer for the
> paper.
>
> Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor confirmed that Superior Court Judge Rowland
> Barnes and his court reporter were among the dead.
>
> The shootings occurred after the judge and prosecutors had requested
> extra security for deputies after investigators found a shank in each
> of Nichols' shoes Thursday, prosecutor Gayle Abramson said. She said
> Nichols apparently fashioned the shanks from a door knob.
>
> Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said he did not know what
> exactly was done in the way of stepped-up security, but said the
> deputies were receptive to their request. Dreher said that there were
> no other officers other than the female deputy assisting with taking
> Nichols to court. The law requires that defendants on trial not be
> handcuffed as they enter the courtroom, to make sure the sight of
> cuffs doesn't unfairly influence the jury.
>
> The shootings occurred shortly after 9 a.m. Friday - the fourth day

of
> Nichols' trial. Nichols had been facing a re-trial on charges of

rape,
> sodomy, burglary, and false imprisonment, among others, after his
> earlier trial ended in a hung jury a week ago.
>
> "I think he probably realized ... he might be convicted this time, he
> might not have a chance to walk out," Howard said. "We believe he

came
> here with the intent to make sure that didn't happen."
>
> In the rape case, Nichols was accused of bursting into his
> ex-girlfriend's home, binding her with duct tape and sexually
> assaulting her over three days. Howard said Nichols brought a loaded
> machine gun into the home and a cooler with food in case he was
> hungry.
>
> Nichols, who had been jailed for the last six months, had faced a
> possible life prison sentence if convicted for rape.
>
> More than 100 state troopers and officers from several agencies,
> including the FBI (news - web sites), were assisting in the search,
> but there were few leads, said G.D. Stiles, a Fulton County deputy
> chief. Offers of help from officers on their days off were pouring

in.

> Telephone and e-mail requests for comment to Nichols' attorney, Barry
> M. Hazen, were not immediately returned Friday.
>

> Barnes was known for his personable approach to justice and his sense
> of humor, and members of Georgia's legal community expressed shock by
> the news.
>
> Among the recent cases that Barnes handled was the sentencing of
> Atlanta Thrashers player Dany Heatley, who pleaded guilty to

vehicular
> homicide in the death of a teammate.
>
> Barnes, 64, also drew national attention last month when he approved

> plea deal that required a mother of seven who pleaded guilty to
> killing her 5-week-old daughter to have a medical procedure that

would
> prevent her from having more children.
>
> "We're shook to the core," said Linda Dreyer, a longtime employee in
> the court administrator's office who knew Barnes.
>
> "This is a profound shock. It's so unthinkable, it's like a 9-11 at
> the courthouse," said fellow Judge Craig Schwall.
>
> James Bailey, a juror at Nichols' trial, said the jury was not in the
> courtroom at the time of the shooting. He said Nichols had made him
> and other jurors nervous. "Every time he looked up, he was staring at
> you," Bailey said.

FYI

Hank

>> Authorities said Nichols then pistol-whipped a reporter for The
>> Atlanta Journal-Constitution, stole his green 1997 Honda Accord and
>> sped away.

So he wasn't all bad...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]

>> Atlanta Thrashers player Dany Heatley, who pleaded guilty to

> vehicular
>> homicide in the death of a teammate.
>>
>> Barnes, 64, also drew national attention last month when he approved

>> plea deal that required a mother of seven who pleaded guilty to
>> killing her 5-week-old daughter to have a medical procedure that

> would
>> prevent her from having more children.
>>
>> "We're shook to the core," said Linda Dreyer, a longtime employee in
>> the court administrator's office who knew Barnes.
>>
>> "This is a profound shock. It's so unthinkable, it's like a 9-11 at
>> the courthouse," said fellow Judge Craig Schwall.
>>
>> James Bailey, a juror at Nichols' trial, said the jury was not in the
>> courtroom at the time of the shooting. He said Nichols had made him
>> and other jurors nervous. "Every time he looked up, he was staring at

The real problem is these criminals and all their rights. What about the
publics rights to be safe. I worked as a Deputy Sheriff in the courts for
three years. No matter what the crime, the jury was not allowed to see the
defendant in handcuffs or shackles. For example: A murder suspect would be
handcuffed at the jail and walked down a back hallway to the court room.
The jury was not allowed to enter the court room until we took off the
restraints. During the trail we had one deputy at the main entrance to the
court room, one at the rear entrance, and one seated behind the defendant.
When the trial ended for the day, the jury left the room and the defendant
was cuffed and walked back to his cell.

One of the bigger problems is these politicians cutting the hell out of the
budget. They don't care the officers are short staffed. They save money
and put the officers and the public at risk. Its everywhere; Police job
cuts with soaring crime rates. Makes a whole lot of sense to cut law
enforcement during these troubling times.

news:[email protected]...

--------------

> [...]

be
> handcuffed at the jail and walked down a back hallway to the court room.
> The jury was not allowed to enter the court room until we took off the
> restraints. During the trail we had one deputy at the main entrance to

the
> court room, one at the rear entrance, and one seated behind the defendant.
> When the trial ended for the day, the jury left the room and the defendant
> was cuffed and walked back to his cell.
>
> One of the bigger problems is these politicians cutting the hell out of

the
> budget. They don't care the officers are short staffed. They save money
> and put the officers and the public at risk. Its everywhere; Police job
> cuts with soaring crime rates. Makes a whole lot of sense to cut law
> enforcement during these troubling times.

I find it amazing - a woman escorting an unhandcuffed prisoner known to be
dangerous - a 200 lb man - the obvious target is her gun - no way she could
not be overpowered. He probably chatted her up and she was hoping for a
date after the trial.

On 11 Mar 2005 18:32:20 -0800, [email protected] wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>USA wrote:
>> What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces is
>> the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that this
>> female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to control
>> the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
>> "protecting" were killed.

http://www.northernlinks.com/yohan/videos/misc/lvs.mpeg

"John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 11 Mar 2005 18:32:20 -0800, [email protected] wrote in
> misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >USA wrote:
> >> What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces is
> >> the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that this
> >> female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to control
> >> the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
> >> "protecting" were killed.
> >>

> http://www.northernlinks.com/yohan/videos/misc/lvs.mpeg

what was the point of the female cop firing her gun?

> [...]

>>> plea deal that required a mother of seven who pleaded guilty to
>>> killing her 5-week-old daughter to have a medical procedure that

>> would
>>> prevent her from having more children.
>>>
>>> "We're shook to the core," said Linda Dreyer, a longtime employee in
>>> the court administrator's office who knew Barnes.
>>>
>>> "This is a profound shock. It's so unthinkable, it's like a 9-11 at
>>> the courthouse," said fellow Judge Craig Schwall.
>>>
>>> James Bailey, a juror at Nichols' trial, said the jury was not in the
>>> courtroom at the time of the shooting. He said Nichols had made him
>>> and other jurors nervous. "Every time he looked up, he was staring at
>>> you," Bailey said.

>> FYI
>>
>> Hank
>>

> The real problem is these criminals and all their rights. What about the

The problem is that this person was not a criminal but rather a person who
had been accused of a crime. One does not become a criminal until they are
cconvicted in a court of a law.

[email protected] wrote:
> USA wrote:
> > What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces

is
> > the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that

this
> > female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to

control
> > the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
> > "protecting" were killed.

Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how many
men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
public? How many men who are police, firemen, guards etc are way
overweight and couldnt run a few feet after a criminal sprinting on
down the road and over a fence? You see it all the time on 'Cops' with
some guy calling out his backup because he is about to heave a lung
from running with his beergut! As in ANY job there are alot of people
(both men and women) who just shouldnt be in that profession due to
their lack of training or inability to handle the job. Because you are
a man doesnt make you the better or only choice for any job.
Certainly, there should be set standards for BOTH men and women to be
able to do the job right and not just hire for quotas. To say that all
women cant take a man in martial arts or cant shoot a gun straight is
outright biased and ignorant. There are women out there that could
pound the **** of a guy (http://tinyurl.com/3zokq)and many guys who
couldnt shoot straight if their life depended on it.

<<joni>>

Gilliam asked the Shootist, J. B. Books, "How could you get in so many
fights and always come out on top --I nearly tied you?" The Shootist
responds, "Friend, there's nobody shooting back at you."

On 12 Mar 2005 11:45:37 -0800, "joni" <[email protected]> wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> USA wrote:
>> > What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces

>is
>> > the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that

>this
>> > female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to

>control
>> > the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
>> > "protecting" were killed.

>Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how many
>men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
>public? How many men who are police, firemen, guards etc are way
>overweight and couldnt run a few feet after a criminal sprinting on
>down the road and over a fence? You see it all the time on 'Cops' with
>some guy calling out his backup because he is about to heave a lung
>from running with his beergut! As in ANY job there are alot of people
>(both men and women) who just shouldnt be in that profession due to
>their lack of training or inability to handle the job. Because you are
>a man doesnt make you the better or only choice for any job.
>Certainly, there should be set standards for BOTH men and women to be
>able to do the job right and not just hire for quotas. To say that all
>women cant take a man in martial arts or cant shoot a gun straight is
>outright biased and ignorant. There are women out there that could
>pound the **** of a guy (http://tinyurl.com/3zokq)and many guys who
>couldnt shoot straight if their life depended on it.

I doubt she could pound the **** out of very many healthy men. Just
what is a forms and weapons champion anyway?

On 12 Mar 2005 11:45:37 -0800, "joni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> USA wrote:
>> > What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces

>is
>> > the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that

>this
>> > female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to

>control
>> > the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
>> > "protecting" were killed.

>Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how many
>men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
>public?

i'd say the real question is: how big was this woman? and how strong?
and how bright? perhaps courtroom duty doesn't attract
the best policemen/women anyway. anybody know?
....thehick

JokingYouU wrote:
> "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>The real problem is these criminals and all their rights. What about the
>>publics rights to be safe.

> The problem is that this person was not a criminal but rather a person who
> had been accused of a crime. One does not become a criminal until they are
> cconvicted in a court of a law.

The minute a person commits a crime they are, by definition, a
"criminal". Once they are convicted in court they become a "convicted
criminal".

If you shoot your way out of a courthouse trying to avoid that
conviction - you are a criminal.

Steve

joni wrote:

> Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how many
> men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
> public? How many men who are police, firemen, guards etc are way
> overweight and couldnt run a few feet after a criminal sprinting on
> down the road and over a fence? You see it all the time on 'Cops' with
> some guy calling out his backup because he is about to heave a lung
> from running with his beergut! As in ANY job there are alot of people
> (both men and women) who just shouldnt be in that profession due to
> their lack of training or inability to handle the job. Because you are
> a man doesnt make you the better or only choice for any job.
> Certainly, there should be set standards for BOTH men and women to be
> able to do the job right and not just hire for quotas.

You are absolutely right. Being fit for duty doesn't seem to be the main
issue in the Atlanta case though. I looks like someone in the sheriff's
administration dropped the ball by putting a single guard (of either
gender) on a prisoner who had set off red flags just a day earlier by
being caught with improvised weapons. At the very least Nichols should
have been made to wear a stun belt from that point on.

Steve

joni wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > USA wrote:
> > > What is more disgusting than having women serving on police

forces
> is
> > > the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that

> this
> > > female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to

> control
> > > the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
> > > "protecting" were killed.

> Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how

many
> men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
> public?

Way, way, way fewer than women

> How many men who are police, firemen, guards etc are way
> overweight and couldnt run a few feet after a criminal sprinting on
> down the road and over a fence?

Way, way, way fewer than women

> You see it all the time on 'Cops' with
> some guy calling out his backup because he is about to heave a lung
> from running with his beergut!

I haven't watched many episodes of Cops, but I do remember seeing a few
female officers, standing around looking up at the stars, scratching
their ample behinds (ample being upwards of 60 inches), while the perp
is being wrestled to the ground by one or more male officers. When he
is thoroughly subdued and cuffed, and being led away, she'll put a hand
on his arm as if she had anything whatever to do with subduing him.
It's called affirmative action, or quotas, and it's usually pretty
funny. In the Atlanta situation of course, it wasn't funny at all.

> As in ANY job there are alot of people
> (both men and women) who just shouldnt be in that profession due to
> their lack of training or inability to handle the job. Because you

are
> a man doesnt make you the better or only choice for any job.
> Certainly, there should be set standards for BOTH men and women to be
> able to do the job right and not just hire for quotas.

That's not quite right, if you mean separate standards. There should
not be standards for BOTH men and women, there should just be
standards; period. The strength standard for a strength oriented job
should be based on appropriate minimums, and those minimums would apply
to most of the male population, and nearly none of the female
population. Statistically, men are approximately twice as strong as
women in the upper body, and fifty percent stronger in the legs.

> To say that all
> women cant take a man in martial arts or cant shoot a gun straight is
> outright biased and ignorant. There are women out there that could
> pound the **** of a guy (http://tinyurl.com/3zokq)and many guys who
> couldnt shoot straight if their life depended on it.

Biased and ignorant? No; predicated upon fact. Laughable "tough chick"
movies and television series notwithstanding, women cannot compete with
men in physical challenges. Several years ago, one of the TV magazine
shows did a piece on female firefighters. It was funny; I mean it was
really funny. When it was pointed out that a woman couldn't drag a 190
pound man down two flights of stairs by gripping him under his arms,
let alone carry him (which a male firefighter could -- that's why it's
called the "fireman's carry"), the guest feminist pointed out that
there was no problem in such an inability. She explained that by
dragging the man by his feet, which the female firefighter might be
able to do, the victim would be spared the danger of smoke inhalation,
because the smoke was less dense at the floor level. She actually said
that. I remember my vision of the unconscious man's head bumping and
bumping down the stairs...

I think that pretty much covers it. I won't even get into sports, it
would just go on and on.

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss HOW GOOD CAN YOU GET? it's now up on my Website, in NEW
STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out. Also, I have a new B&W
addition to my gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to
physique art.
It's in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the
site, and it's free.

"joni" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

> Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how many
> men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
> public? How many men who are police, firemen, guards etc are way
> overweight and couldnt run a few feet after a criminal sprinting on
> down the road and over a fence?

Those big fat donut eating cops are still way stronger than the average
female police officer. I would rather depend on a big fat male cop than a
skinny female cop to save my ass, regardless. I wonder if the deputy in
Atlanta was issued a security holster? The bad guy shouldn't have been able
to get her gun so easily.

"Jim R." <nah,> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> My daughter (7th grade - 85 lbs) came home from school last week eager to
> show me the self-defense moves she learned in Phys. Ed. "Dad, grab me by
> the
> collar..." etc. She actually believed she would be able to break the grip
> and incapacitate a grown man. I had to gently break the news...sweetheart,
> it's good to feel empowered, but your best defense is to avoid getting in
> situation. If, heaven forbid, you do - bite, groin kick and run like
> hell -
> screaming all the while.

I don't like it when instructors imply that some technique will protect
young kids or women from any opponent, regardless of his size. However, I
did find out what a well placed blow can do while playing soccer with my
son, barely six at the time. I was playing goalie, grabbed the ball as he
was trying to kick it, he slipped and kicked me right between the eyes. For
some fraction of a second I couldn't see anything but black and it took me a
little time to even realize what had happened. As a practical matter however
it would take a lot of time to train someone to deliver that type of blow
reliably and effectively. A 20 minute self defense demonstration will not
result in La Femme Nikita (especially the subtitled version).

On 12 Mar 2005 11:45:37 -0800, "joni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> USA wrote:
>> > What is more disgusting than having women serving on police forces

>is
>> > the fact that no one in the media will admit the obvious -- that

>this
>> > female (like all females) was unable to control her gun or to

>control
>> > the prisoner and as a result other people she was supposedly
>> > "protecting" were killed.

>Lest this become another female bashing thread, lets just ask how many
>men have been overpowered by their assailants while 'protecting' the
>public? How many men who are police, firemen, guards etc are way
>overweight and couldnt run a few feet after a criminal sprinting on
>down the road and over a fence? You see it all the time on 'Cops' with
>some guy calling out his backup because he is about to heave a lung
>from running with his beergut! As in ANY job there are alot of people
>(both men and women) who just shouldnt be in that profession due to
>their lack of training or inability to handle the job. Because you are
>a man doesnt make you the better or only choice for any job.
>Certainly, there should be set standards for BOTH men and women to be
>able to do the job right and not just hire for quotas. To say that all
>women cant take a man in martial arts or cant shoot a gun straight is
>outright biased and ignorant. There are women out there that could
>pound the **** of a guy (http://tinyurl.com/3zokq)and many guys who
>couldnt shoot straight if their life depended on it.

Well, if you are really serious about being fair, then you'd still end
up with only 1 or 2% of cops being women, at most.

-----------
Proton Soup

"And all this peace has been deceiving,
I need some wind to get me sailing"

Steve Furbish <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The minute a person commits a crime they are, by definition, a
> "criminal". Once they are convicted in court they become a "convicted
> criminal".

What do you call a person who commits no crime but is convicted?

-- Buster Framer <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/freedom>

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I wonder if the deputy in
> Atlanta was issued a security holster? The bad guy shouldn't have been able
> to get her gun so easily.

If she was escorting the prisoner, why was she carrying a gun? If she
worked in Roanoke, her gun would have been in a locker.

-- Star Valley <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/roanoke>

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Yeah - doesn't do much for cops image that's for damn sure - cops need to
> have standards - not only it looks bad to be obese but it endangers the life
> of the fat **** plus his/her partner etc in a situation where fitness is
> vital

Won't a thick layer of fat protect vital organs in a stabbing?

-- Mack the Knife <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/heroism>