One for the record books

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4346529.stm

A man has had his car seized by police from a retail park after he
failed to act on a warning over his driving.

The Honda was taken away, under the Police Reform Act 2002, from the
Spitfire Retail Park in Trowbridge in Wiltshire on Sunday night.

Police said the 21-year-old driver had received a warning previously,
but had continued to drive in a careless manner and had annoyed other
road users.

He will have to pay £105 to get his vehicle back, plus the cost of
storage.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> He will have to pay £105 to get his vehicle back, plus the cost of
> storage.

I do hope the local Polis use a /very/ expensive garage...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> Police said [he] ... had continued to drive in a careless manner ...

So why didn't they charge him with driving without due care and
attention as well?

What was the criminal offence? Why didn't they charge him?

Graham

Paul Rudin wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Police said [he] ... had continued to drive in a careless manner ...

> So why didn't they charge him with driving without due care and
> attention as well?

Perhaps because it would be superfluous in the circumstances,
long-winded, expensive, requiring a great deal of paperwork, the taking
of statements and following all the rules of evidence, the involvement
of the CPS, the preparation of court papers, the serving of a summons,
the hearing at the local County Court involving magistrates, clerk of
the court, ushers and the rest of the paraphernalia and no doubt many
other things I've overlooked. All of it at tax-payers expense, and quite
possibly going off the rails due to some annoying oversight along the
way allowing the wee toerag to get away with it.

While this was quick, direct, simple and got the point across at least
as effectively.

Well done those coppers.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Graham Dean wrote:
> What was the criminal offence? Why didn't they charge him?

I don't know about this specific case but the Wilishire police are using
the equivalent of ASBOs to target certain kinds of antisocial car use.
The place mentioned is a retail park on the edge of Trowbridge where
there is a long history of yoofs congregating with chavmobiles to do
donuts, woofer competitions and suchlike. I think the policy is a
gentle warning followed by confiscation. Given that it is private land
outside shopping hours it might be quite difficult to prove a criminal
offence; however, the local residents are pretty clear about whether it
is antisocial or not.

It does raise the general question though of why the police are happy to
confiscate cars for donut competitions but not for some of the more
serious lunacy we see daily on the roads.

Peter

--

www.amey.org.uk

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:20:36 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:

> I do hope the local Polis use a /very/ expensive garage...

Heathrow short term parking sounds like a good idea to me

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Yes - I guess so, and I do see antisocial behaviour around and it can be
very annoying...

I suppose I'm just generally wary of authorities being biased - I know, as I
used to ride a motorbike (actually still do sometimes!) that all policing is
not 'fair'.

Cheers,
Graham

news:[email protected]...