Upgrade potential...

Lee Irvine

Guest
Hi All,

Back in the day I saved up the money from my paper round and bought a Saracen Trekker (circa '88,
wishbone rear stay, u-brakes etc). Things've obviuosly moved on since then and, since upgrading to
full suss, I've not really looked back.

However, I can't seem to give up on the Trekker, the old triple butted 501 frame is great around
town and for local training rides. The thing is, I think the rear hub/wheel, is about to go so I
need some thoughts/opinions on what I'm going to have to do at replacemnt time ie. new hub/wheel
obviously, but what about the cassette/ spacing issues? Everything is still set up for Deore/XT
6 speed...

Also, fork-wise, it's a 1" steerer so if I change the forks, I'm pretty much limited to Project 2s
or, apparently, Marzocchi will do a 1" steerer on some of their shorter travel forks.

I'm a little concerned though that as the bike was made before suspension was invented ;o) I
might screw up the geometry on a bike that I've been used to riding for more than a good few
years now though.

Cheers for any feedback

Lee

ps got to hand it to shimano, that's still the original hub and groupset on there!

pps should probably get rid of that big old biopace ring though ;o)

>Hi All,
>
>Back in the day I saved up the money from my paper round and bought a Saracen Trekker (circa '88,
>wishbone rear stay, u-brakes etc). Things've obviuosly moved on since then and, since upgrading to
>full suss, I've not really looked back.
>
>However, I can't seem to give up on the Trekker, the old triple butted 501 frame is great around
>town and for local training rides. The thing is, I think the rear hub/wheel, is about to go so I
>need some thoughts/opinions on what I'm going to have to do at replacemnt time ie. new hub/wheel
>obviously, but what about the cassette/ spacing issues? Everything is still set up for Deore/XT
>6 speed...
>
>Also, fork-wise, it's a 1" steerer so if I change the forks, I'm pretty much limited to Project 2s
>or, apparently, Marzocchi will do a 1" steerer on some of their shorter travel forks.
>
>I'm a little concerned though that as the bike was made before suspension was invented ;o) I
>might screw up the geometry on a bike that I've been used to riding for more than a good few
>years now though.
>
>Cheers for any feedback
>
>Lee
>
> ps got to hand it to shimano, that's still the original hub and groupset on there!
>
>pps should probably get rid of that big old biopace ring though ;o)

I'd spend as little as possible and keep it as original as possible. Don't add suspension - it will
screw up the handling. Plus you already have another bike that has it, so why bother.

What specifically is wrong with your rear wheel? Could you get by with a repack and relacing to a
new rim? Is it just the freehub body - hell, those are cheap. Check out Loose Screws for old parts
like this.

You like the bike - make as few changes as possible - just enough to keep it rolling.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew Thorne wrote:

> I'd spend as little as possible and keep it as original as possible. Don't add suspension - it
> will screw up the handling. Plus you already have another bike that has it, so why bother.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Although, the Project 2s would look better, but I'm not sure
if the front U-brake would fit the new forks...and then be looking at V's etc etc

> What specifically is wrong with your rear wheel? Could you get by with a repack and relacing to a
> new rim? Is it just the freehub body - hell, those are cheap. Check out Loose Screws for old parts
> like this.

Specifically: nothing yet, but you know when they start sounding like they're going to need serviced
really soon (ie this weekend ;o)

> You like the bike

yup, it's definitely worth more in time spent and sentimental value than anything else now. It cost
£400 new but, as I said that was back in '88, so it was a lot more bike for the money then...

Anyone else got an old (faithful) machine they can't bear to get rid of?

Lee

>>However, I can't seem to give up on the Trekker, the old triple butted 501 frame is great around
>>town and for local training rides.
> I'd spend as little as possible and keep it as original as possible. Don't add suspension - it
> will screw up the handling.

Sounds like a pefect candidate for a Single Speed conversion, IMO.

--
John G. http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

Sorry for the personal response Lee, i accidentally replied to sender instead of group....

I too have a bike from '88. A Nishiki backroads. I have considered taking it to the local shop and
having it checked out and tuned up. It has suntour components and a sugino cycloid crank. I think
may keep it and start riding it some.

Peace, Pilgrim

> Anyone else got an old (faithful) machine they can't bear to get rid of?
>
> Lee

Lee Irvine <[email protected]> wrote

> However, I can't seem to give up on the Trekker, the old triple butted 501 frame is great around
> town and for local training rides. The thing is, I think the rear hub/wheel, is about to go so I
> need some thoughts/opinions on what I'm going to have to do at replacemnt time ie.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

You know you want to. Besides, a rigid fork is faster than suspension on almost any terrain.

CC