Pedal / Shoe advice

Andy

Guest
Hi,

Looking for Pedal / Shoe on advice on my upcoming purchase off a Saracen Razor.

It comes with toe clips, which i want to exchange for some clipless type peadals.

Question is as I have to buy both the pedals and shoes, it there any particular good combination ?
thats reasonably priced off course .. (the bikes is £600 just so you know by price league)

I was also debating buying a combination normal / clipless pedal, but i'm unsure if i ever will use
the normal side of the pedal due to to so many people saying that clipless is so much better.

I was probably going to buy off wiggle.co.uk, as they seems to offer discounts

Anyway any advice appeciated

Cheers

Andy

Andy wrote:

> I was also debating buying a combination normal / clipless pedal, but i'm unsure if i ever will
> use the normal side of the pedal due to to so many people saying that clipless is so much better.

Given the flavour of bike (sporty) I can't see that much point in platform pedals for it. As for
shoes/pedals, depends what you're after from the whole setup. If it's to be for purely sporty runs
then probably a dedicated road shoe and either Looks or SPuD-Rs, but if you intend using it for
utility purposes as well then a touring or MTB shoe will still be miles better than trainers and
allow you to do things like walk around after you've parked! In that case, pick your flavour of
SPuD, Time ATAC etc. etc.

> I was probably going to buy off wiggle.co.uk, as they seems to offer discounts
>
> Anyway any advice appeciated

For shoes, it really is worth trying them on in person as they're all different shapes (just like
people's feet). Though you're not obliged to buy from where you try, IMHO if a shop provides you
with a service that can make a marked difference to comfort and efficacy of every single pedal
stroke you put in then they deserve the extra fiver or whatever (which is likely to disappear in
postal costs in any case).

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Looking for Pedal / Shoe on advice on my upcoming purchase off a Saracen Razor.
>
> It comes with toe clips, which i want to exchange for some clipless type peadals.
>
> Question is as I have to buy both the pedals and shoes, it there any particular good combination ?
> thats reasonably priced off course .. (the bikes is £600 just so you know by price league)
>
> I was also debating buying a combination normal / clipless pedal, but i'm unsure if i ever will
> use the normal side of the pedal due to to so many people saying that clipless is so much better.
>
> I was probably going to buy off wiggle.co.uk, as they seems to offer discounts

I bought a pair of Shiman 545's and bought the shoes in person from Evan's cycles. So far, I've been
very happy with both :-D

Incidentally, I've found http://www.chainreactioncycles.com to be less dear on some items when
compared to wiggle.

Thomas.