Egg Replacer - Homemade mayo

Dee Randall

Guest
I bought pasteurized eggs to make homemade mayo -- but I still couldn't
handle the thought of it.

I found on the back of box of Ener-G Egg-Replacer a recipe for "egg-free
mayonnaise."
Regarding the *** notation after vinegar, could someone explain to me what
it means

*** To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
Vinegar.

What would be the reason for this? If I use white vinegar or red wine
vinegar or rice vinegar, would it explode - in my stomach? Thanks so much.

Here is the recipe
Egg Free Mayonnaise using Egg-Free Mayo

6 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer (PACKED)

4 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar ***

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 cup oil

***To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
Vinegar

Sounds to me like they are pushing two of their other products..a
gluten free and a yeast free vinegar. Sounds odd, because yeast is
what makes vinegar.

That being said...I have to say that I have been making mayonaise,
using raw eggs for months. It is delicious and we love it. I am
careful to keep it refrigerated and use it within a few days. Don't
think we could ever go back to Hellmans/Best Foods for our asparagus
and artichokes.

Will look forward to hearing how you like the mayo using the Egg
replacer.

jillie
Roseville, CA

jillie <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sounds to me like they are pushing two of their other products..a
>gluten free and a yeast free vinegar. Sounds odd, because yeast is
>what makes vinegar.

Actually, yeast is what ferments sugar to make alcohol. To
go the next step from alcohol to vinegar is a bacterial fermentation.

Steve

"Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jillie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Sounds to me like they are pushing two of their other products..a
>>gluten free and a yeast free vinegar. Sounds odd, because yeast is
>>what makes vinegar.

> Actually, yeast is what ferments sugar to make alcohol. To
> go the next step from alcohol to vinegar is a bacterial fermentation.
>
> Steve

Acetobacter bacteria consumes alcohol from wine, cider or beer and produces
the acid we call vinegar.

Also called Mother of Vinagar.

Dimitri

Dimitri <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> jillie <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Sounds to me like they are pushing two of their other products..a
>>>gluten free and a yeast free vinegar. Sounds odd, because yeast is
>>>what makes vinegar.

>> Actually, yeast is what ferments sugar to make alcohol. To
>> go the next step from alcohol to vinegar is a bacterial fermentation.

> Acetobacter bacteria consumes alcohol from wine, cider or beer and produces
> the acid we call vinegar.

Yep

>Also called Mother of Vinagar.

I thought Mother of Vinegar referred to the leftover sludge afterwards,
not the bacteria.

Steve

>Dimitri

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I bought pasteurized eggs to make homemade mayo -- but I still couldn't
>handle the thought of it.
>
> I found on the back of box of Ener-G Egg-Replacer a recipe for "egg-free
> mayonnaise."
> Regarding the *** notation after vinegar, could someone explain to me
> what it means
>
> *** To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
> Vinegar.
>
> What would be the reason for this? If I use white vinegar or red wine
> vinegar or rice vinegar, would it explode - in my stomach? Thanks so
> much.
>
> Here is the recipe
> Egg Free Mayonnaise using Egg-Free Mayo
>

> 6 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer (PACKED)
>
> 4 tablespoons water
>
> 1 teaspoon sugar
>
> 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar ***
>
> 2 teaspoons dry mustard
>
> 1 cup oil
>

> ***To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
> Vinegar

The starred info in the recipe is included for people who are
gluten-intolerant or yeast-sensitive so they can make a totally gluten- and
yeast-free mayo. If you have neither of these sensitivities, you can use
whatever kind of vinegar you like.

Karen

"Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Actually, yeast is what ferments sugar to make alcohol. To
>>> go the next step from alcohol to vinegar is a bacterial fermentation.

>> Acetobacter bacteria consumes alcohol from wine, cider or beer and
>> produces
>> the acid we call vinegar.

> Yep
>
>>Also called Mother of Vinagar.

> I thought Mother of Vinegar referred to the leftover sludge afterwards,
> not the bacteria.
>
> Steve
>>
>>Dimitri

mother of vinegar
A slimy, gummy substance made up of various bacteria - specifically
mycoderma aceti - that cause fermentation in wine and cider and turn them
into vinegar. Known as mère de vinaigre in French and sometimes simply as
"mother" in English, its growth is best fostered in a medium-warm
environment (60°-85°F). The mother should be transferred to a new mixture or
discarded once the liquid has turned to vinegar.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

"Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I bought pasteurized eggs to make homemade mayo -- but I still couldn't
>>handle the thought of it.
>>
>> I found on the back of box of Ener-G Egg-Replacer a recipe for "egg-free
>> mayonnaise."
>> Regarding the *** notation after vinegar, could someone explain to me
>> what it means
>>
>> *** To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
>> Vinegar.
>>
>> What would be the reason for this? If I use white vinegar or red wine
>> vinegar or rice vinegar, would it explode - in my stomach? Thanks so
>> much.
>>
>> Here is the recipe
>> Egg Free Mayonnaise using Egg-Free Mayo
>>

>> 6 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer (PACKED)
>>
>> 4 tablespoons water
>>
>> 1 teaspoon sugar
>>
>> 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar ***
>>
>> 2 teaspoons dry mustard
>>
>> 1 cup oil
>>

>> ***To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
>> Vinegar
>>

> The starred info in the recipe is included for people who are
> gluten-intolerant or yeast-sensitive so they can make a totally gluten-
> and yeast-free mayo. If you have neither of these sensitivities, you can
> use whatever kind of vinegar you like.
> Karen

Thanks, Karen -- Got it!
My appreciation,
Dee

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:02:25 -0800, Dee Randall wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> *** To eliminate gluten or yeast use Ener-G Gluten-Free and Yeast-Free
> Vinegar.
>
> What would be the reason for this? If I use white vinegar or red wine
> vinegar or rice vinegar, would it explode - in my stomach? Thanks so much.

Some people are sensitive or allergic to gluten or yeast.

serene

Originally Posted by serene

Yes you are right, then why are you taking risks. Simply use any brand mayonnaise like i used galaxy mayonnaise. http://www.galaxyfoodspk.com/mayonnaise