How can you delay milk turning sour?

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Keep it in the cow.
>

> Sheldon

Milk is freezable...But requires vigorous shaking when defrosted. After
the shaking it is normal milk.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Keep it in the cow.
>

> Sheldon

I just freeze it... ;-)
I don't use or drink a lot of milk and it freezes well.

The poor cow can only hold so much milk!

I'll bet you can hold a lot of creme tho'. <smirk>
--
K.

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

Keep your refrigerator at 34 degrees. Most refrigerators are kept at
about 40 degrees. By keeping the unit at 34 degrees you will add
several days to the life of perishables.

> Keep it in the cow.
>

> Sheldon

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:50:26 GMT, Ted Campanelli
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
>so great) words of knowledge:
>
>Keep your refrigerator at 34 degrees. Most refrigerators are kept at
>about 40 degrees. By keeping the unit at 34 degrees you will add
>several days to the life of perishables.

But won't that freeze most if not all the produce in the fridge??

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Keep it in the cow.
>>

>> Sheldon
>>

> I just freeze it... ;-)
> I don't use or drink a lot of milk and it freezes well.
>
> The poor cow can only hold so much milk!
>
> I'll bet you can hold a lot of creme tho'. <smirk>
> --
> K.

Katra, have you tried freezing heavy cream? I'm always buying and throwing away
either whole milk or heavy cream because we don't use a lot of it but when I
want it for a specific recipe, I want it (not non-fat)
Gigi

Ginny Sher <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:50:26 GMT, Ted Campanelli
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
> >not so great) words of knowledge:
> >
> >Keep your refrigerator at 34 degrees. Most refrigerators are kept
> >at about 40 degrees. By keeping the unit at 34 degrees you will
> >add several days to the life of perishables.
> >

> But won't that freeze most if not all the produce in the fridge??

Ummm...32F is freezing point....34 is higher than 32...Yes I know the
fridge will get below 34 when it runs...but not long enough to freeze
stuff.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

"Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote

>> I just freeze it... ;-)
>> I don't use or drink a lot of milk and it freezes well.

> Katra, have you tried freezing heavy cream? I'm always buying and
> throwing away either whole milk or heavy cream because we don't use a lot
> of it but when I want it for a specific recipe, I want it (not non-fat)

I'm sure that wouldn't work, I've read that so many times.
The container might even say Do Not Freeze. Never tried
it myself, though.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>,
"Gigi" <itchyfeet(no spam)@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Keep it in the cow.
> >>

> >> Sheldon
> >>

> > I just freeze it... ;-)
> > I don't use or drink a lot of milk and it freezes well.
> >
> > The poor cow can only hold so much milk!
> >
> > I'll bet you can hold a lot of creme tho'. <smirk>
> > --
> > K.

> Katra, have you tried freezing heavy cream? I'm always buying and throwing
> away
> either whole milk or heavy cream because we don't use a lot of it but when I
> want it for a specific recipe, I want it (not non-fat)
> Gigi

I have not tried that, but I'm sure it'd be fine.
I've frozen whole milk, lowfat milk and buttermilk.
I generally just buy cream in 1/2 pint cartons and it's
good for at least a month if the carton is not opened.
That way it's there when I need it. :)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

In the same keep-it-cold vein, minimize the time the milk is out of the
fridge. Set a house rule to never set the milk down on the counter. I
vaguely remember hearing some statistic that every 10 minutes (or maybe
it was every hour) that the milk is out of the fridge reduces the
length it will keep by one day. So, don't set the milk on the table
while you're eating your cereal - pour it on and then put the container
back in the fridge. I've had pretty good success with this strategy -
milk usually lasts at least a week to two weeks after the sell-by date.

Hope that helps,
Melissa

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:02:05 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ginny Sher <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:50:26 GMT, Ted Campanelli
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
>> >not so great) words of knowledge:
>> >
>> >Keep your refrigerator at 34 degrees. Most refrigerators are kept
>> >at about 40 degrees. By keeping the unit at 34 degrees you will
>> >add several days to the life of perishables.
>> >

>> But won't that freeze most if not all the produce in the fridge??
>>

>Ummm...32F is freezing point....34 is higher than 32...Yes I know the
>fridge will get below 34 when it runs...but not long enough to freeze
>stuff.

I've had lettuce freeze in too cold a refrigerator and I don't think
it was as cold as 32°.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> Milk is freezable...But requires vigorous shaking when defrosted. After
> the shaking it is normal milk.

Another solution that works well is to add 1/4 tsp baking soda to a
gallon of milk and mix well. The milk keeps longer and it doesn't affect
either the taste or cooking properties.