Best road/touring bike under $900

Slavko Vorkapit

Guest
Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??

Keep riding, El Squid

"Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
> point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
>
> Keep riding, El Squid

Trek 520?

best bike under $900 would probably be a used steel bike

Can you define how you'd like to ride? "Touring" is a pretty wide category. Do you want something
that you can load down with big panniers and carry tent, sleeping bag & kitchen sink, or would
credit-card touring (where you stay in a hotel os hostel) be more appropriate?

"Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
> point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
>
> Keep riding, El Squid

Go for a used one and save maybe half price or at least a fourth. Then you can buy a $1200 or $1500
bike with ease under $900. Look at www.sellabike.com I have three bikes listed there. A Diamond Back
custom road bike with all Dura Ace for under $900 and two Trek 300 Navigator's for $300 each. Plus
there are two Trek 2300's there, one for $1000 and another for $700. There are a lot of good bikes
listed there and at other web sites. You don't have to over pay on ebay.

Tom

Dave Thompson wrote:
> "Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
>>point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
>>
>>Keep riding, El Squid

Specialized Sequoia Sport.

Cori

[email protected] (Slavko Vorkapitch) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
> point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
>
> Keep riding, El Squid

For a good tourer with an excellent frame try a Dawes Galaxy.

--
Walter Mitty.

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Can you define how you'd like to ride? "Touring" is a pretty wide category. Do you want something
> that you can load down with big panniers and carry tent, sleeping bag & kitchen sink, or would
> credit-card touring (where you stay in a hotel os hostel) be more appropriate?

Definitely not an off road bike - just a good bike for a Sunday ride in the country. I'm starting to
look at the Raleigh Grand Prix or a Diamondback - these seem to be reasonably priced..

Slavko

> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com
>
> "Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can
> > anybody point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
> >
> > Keep riding, El Squid

> Definitely not an off road bike - just a good bike for a Sunday ride in the country. I'm starting
> to look at the Raleigh Grand Prix or a Diamondback - these seem to be reasonably priced..

OK, so by "touring" you meant normal riding, not loading down with everything and taking off on a
cross-country tour? If that's the case, you might expand your search slightly and include a
"Cyclocross" bike, which, if you change to more normal tires, make excellent all-around road bikes
(with room for fenders if you wish, comfortable ride position, and very sturdy equipment). In the
TREK line that we sell, that would be the XO1, which runs about $900. If you want something lighter,
the TREK 1200, with a carbon fork and lighter components, runs just a bit less.

But whatever you choose, make sure it's from a dealer that takes the time to get you properly fit on
the bike. A really nice bike that doesn't fit well isn't going to be as much fun to ride as a lesser
bike that's set up just right for you. One will spend its life looking pretty (under all the dust)
in the garage, the other will be out on the road, every chance you get.

"Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Can you define how you'd like to ride? "Touring" is a pretty wide
category.
> > Do you want something that you can load down with big panniers and carry tent, sleeping bag &
> > kitchen sink, or would credit-card touring (where
you
> > stay in a hotel os hostel) be more appropriate?
>
> Definitely not an off road bike - just a good bike for a Sunday ride in the country. I'm starting
> to look at the Raleigh Grand Prix or a Diamondback - these seem to be reasonably priced..
>
> Slavko
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com
> >
> > "Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can
> > > anybody point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
> > >
> > > Keep riding, El Squid

[email protected] (Slavko Vorkapitch) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
> point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
>
> Keep riding, El Squid

I would suggest at least a look at the Gary Fisher Fast City.

I'd agree with a previous poster who recommended the following:

Fuji Touring, MSRP is $840 Bianchi Volpe MSRP is $850

These would appear to fit your requirements pretty well. Look for a Cro-Moly framed bicycle, not an
aluminum framed bicycle.

The Trek 520 would also be good but it may be more than $900 street price with an $1100 MSRP. All
depends what's on sale and how much the dealer you go to discounts off the MSRP. I'd think that if
there are a lot of 2003's left over that they'd be priced not higher than $900 when the 2004's come
out. Maybe Mike J. can comment about model year end pricing.

You may want to consider something used as well. Something like a well maintained Specialized Sirrus
Triple with a lugged chromoloy frame could probably be purchased for under $400. I have one next to
me in my office right now, but it's not for sale. My next bike will likely be something like the
Rivendell Romulus, but I'll get in trouble if I spend that much!

"Slavko Vorkapitch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>Hi - I am considering a new road/touring bike but don't want to spend a lot of mulah. Can anybody
>point me to some models that won't break my bank account ??
>
>Keep riding, El Squid

> The Trek 520 would also be good but it may be more than $900 street price with an $1100 MSRP. All
> depends what's on sale and how much the dealer you go to discounts off the MSRP. I'd think that if
> there are a lot of 2003's left over that they'd be priced not higher than $900 when the 2004's
> come out. Maybe Mike J. can comment about model year end pricing.

The TREK 520 tends to hold its value (and not get closed out really cheap) because it rarely goes
through major changes. Some years it carries over with no changes at all, others they might change
from one dark shade of green to a very slightly lighter or darker shade. It's anything but a slave
to fashion... as I've said before, it's downright boring! But that's exactly why it's successful.