or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aldi Opening Hours

post #1 of 16
Since my nearest Aldi (Hereford) is an hour's drive away, to avoid
disappointment I really need to get there before they open on Thursday. The
trouble is that their web site provides neither opening hours information
nor a contact number for any of their branches.

Anyone know what time Aldi opens?

Thanks

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and
benefit.
post #2 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

They normally open at 9.00.

They deliberately don't give branch numbers,
they don't want people phoning the local branch (as they can't be trusted?).

I've been outside at 8.55 on my way to work several times
(bought large TV and computer in last year).

"Robert Bruce" <willbedeletedoffserver@analytical-dynamics.co.uk> wrote in
message news:2r8aldF174kcvU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Since my nearest Aldi (Hereford) is an hour's drive away, to avoid
> disappointment I really need to get there before they open on Thursday.

The
> trouble is that their web site provides neither opening hours information
> nor a contact number for any of their branches.
>
> Anyone know what time Aldi opens?
>
> Thanks
>Rob
post #3 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

John Pitcock wrote:

[Aldi]
> They normally open at 9.00.
>
> They deliberately don't give branch numbers,
> they don't want people phoning the local branch (as they can't be trusted?).

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no one to answer the phone. Seems
that the stores are staffed by about 3 people.

Arkle for President
post #4 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> John Pitcock wrote:
>
> [Aldi]
> > They normally open at 9.00.
> >
> > They deliberately don't give branch numbers,
> > they don't want people phoning the local branch (as they can't be

trusted?).

> I wouldn't be surprised if there was no one to answer the phone. Seems
> that the stores are staffed by about 3 people.

Nah, it's simpler than that .... the people they employ are incapable of
answering the phone!

> --
> Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
> Arkle for President
post #5 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

"RG" <newszzzzzz@bntinternet.com> writes:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> > John Pitcock wrote:
> >
> > [Aldi]
> > > They normally open at 9.00.
> > >
> > > They deliberately don't give branch numbers,
> > > they don't want people phoning the local branch (as they can't be

> trusted?).
> >
> > I wouldn't be surprised if there was no one to answer the phone. Seems
> > that the stores are staffed by about 3 people.

> Nah, it's simpler than that .... the people they employ are incapable of
> answering the phone!

You're really being quite obnoxious, aren't you?

The way the discount supermarkets tend to work is by employing staff
at relatively high wages and ensuring that they get maximum
productivity out of them by avoiding idle time and keeping staff
turnover low and not having people around who are waiting there for
something to manage, like answering the phone.

But it wouldn't actually occur to you to think about why things are
the way things are, I guess, it being preferable to think of people as
being really stupid when actually really stupid people are incredibly
rare compared to demotivated people. The last really stupid person I
met was employed as a Healthcare Assistant when I was in hospital and
was almost entirely incapable of operating the incredibly simple blood
pressure and heart rate monitoring equipment. I don't interact with
people in supermarkets much, but can't ever remember having seen
anyone particularly dim

post #6 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

RG wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> John Pitcock wrote:
>>
>> [Aldi]
>> > They normally open at 9.00.
>> >
>> > They deliberately don't give branch numbers,
>> > they don't want people phoning the local branch (as they can't be

> trusted?).
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if there was no one to answer the phone. Seems
>> that the stores are staffed by about 3 people.

> Nah, it's simpler than that .... the people they employ are incapable of
> answering the phone!

And yet they say such nice things about you.

I drove my tractor through your haystack last night
post #7 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> RG wrote:
>
> > "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
> >> John Pitcock wrote:
> >>
> >> [Aldi]

> > trusted?).
> >>
> >> I wouldn't be surprised if there was no one to answer the phone. Seems
> >> that the stores are staffed by about 3 people.

> > Nah, it's simpler than that .... the people they employ are incapable of
> > answering the phone!

> And yet they say such nice things about you.

Surprising RG's capable of using a newsreader, really.

post #8 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

"Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+n@gmail.com> wrote in message

> The way the discount supermarkets tend to work is by employing staff
> at relatively high wages and ensuring that they get maximum
> productivity out of them by avoiding idle time and keeping staff
> turnover low and not having people around who are waiting there for
> something to manage, like answering the phone.

What gets me is that when there is a large queue of people at the checkout
and only one person on a till, all the people in the queue are tutting away
saying they should put more people on the checkouts, isn't it terrible etc.

Of course, that's one way they keep the prices down. I feel like saying,
"Why not go across the road to the Safeway" To which they will no doubt say
that it's more expensive. Well exactly!

--
Simon M.
post #9 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

In article <SsucnWYvUK0MR9LcSa8jmw@karoo.co.uk>,
"Simon Mason" <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> writes:

> What gets me is that when there is a large queue of people at the checkout
> and only one person on a till, all the people in the queue are tutting away
> saying they should put more people on the checkouts, isn't it terrible etc.
>
> Of course, that's one way they keep the prices down. I feel like saying,
> "Why not go across the road to the Safeway" To which they will no doubt say
> that it's more expensive. Well exactly!

Tescos manage to keep large numbers of people on the checkouts, so I very
rarely need to queue behind more than one person. And their prices are
the best of anywhere accessible from here (except the local greengrocer).

I guess that's got a lot to do with why their profits just keep rising.

--
Nick Kew
post #10 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

"Nick Kew" <nick@hugin.webthing.com> wrote in message
> In article <SsucnWYvUK0MR9LcSa8jmw@karoo.co.uk>,

> Tescos manage to keep large numbers of people on the checkouts, so I very
> rarely need to queue behind more than one person. And their prices are
> the best of anywhere accessible from here (except the local greengrocer).

Tesco are one of the cheapest of the UK supermarkets, but IMHO they cannot
compete on price with the Aldis, Lidls and Nettos of this world.

--
Simon M.
post #11 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

Nick Kew wrote:
> In article <SsucnWYvUK0MR9LcSa8jmw@karoo.co.uk>,
> "Simon Mason" <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> What gets me is that when there is a large queue of people at the
>> checkout and only one person on a till, all the people in the queue
>> are tutting away saying they should put more people on the
>> checkouts, isn't it terrible etc.
>>
>> Of course, that's one way they keep the prices down. I feel like
>> saying, "Why not go across the road to the Safeway" To which they
>> will no doubt say that it's more expensive. Well exactly!

> Tescos manage to keep large numbers of people on the checkouts, so I
> very rarely need to queue behind more than one person. And their
> prices are the best of anywhere accessible from here (except the
> local greengrocer).
>
> I guess that's got a lot to do with why their profits just keep
> rising.

The local greengrocer isn't buying in bulk and probably has relatively high
overheads. And yet he manages to be cheaper than tesco... Unless that's why
you think they keep making massive profits, rather than because they have
short queues.
post #12 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

mae <jim.wood18@virgin.nospam.net> wedi ysgrifennu:

> Go to web site http://uk.aldi.com/ and click where to find us. Enter
> town and select map. Times are shown.

Thanks. No idea how I missed something so obvious.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
and benefit.
post #13 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

On 21/9/04 11:00 pm, in article 2rbln7F18iof0U1@uni-berlin.de, "MartinM"
<martinm3@wcms.org.uk> wrote:

> "James Wood" <jim.wood18@virgin.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Go to web site http://uk.aldi.com/ and click where to find us. Enter town
>> and select map. Times are shown.

> just don't trust the directions too literally ;-) using London Victoria as
> the origin;
>

> Rushey Green, Catford
> GB Rushey Green, Catford SE6 4JD
> Rushey Green 4.2 Miles
>
> Lime Kiln Lane, Thetford
> GB Lime Kiln Lane, Thetford IP24 2BU
> Lime Kiln Lane 5.3 Miles
>
> 1 Larkman Lane, Norwich
> GB 1 Larkman Lane, Norwich NR5 8TZ
> 1 Larkman Lane, 9.4 Miles
>
> what happened to the one on Old Kent Rd?

And what happened to Essex? 9.4 miles from Victoria to Norwich?

...d
post #14 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

>And what happened to Essex? 9.4 miles from Victoria to Norwich?
>
>..d

Wormhole allowing for shortening of distance - break in the fabric of the
space/time continuum, obviously.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

post #15 of 16

Re: Aldi Opening Hours

In message of Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Simon Mason writes
> What gets me is that when there is a large queue of people at the checkout
>and only one person on a till, all the people in the queue are tutting away
>saying they should put more people on the checkouts, isn't it terrible etc.
>
> Of course, that's one way they keep the prices down. I feel like saying,
>"Why not go across the road to the Safeway" To which they will no doubt say
>that it's more expensive. Well exactly!

And in any case, the through-put at the LIDL checkout is rapid - no dozy
sluggish staff like in Tescos, no chatting among themselves or with
customers, no swiping of loyalty cards and asking 100 questions - they
just scan the goods very quickly, you throw your stuff into a cardboard
box, you pay your pleasingly low bill and you're out.

It's great.
--
Rgds
Colette