Help with cream of mushroom soup

TINY

Guest
Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
or just milk

TINY wrote:
> Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
> or just milk

I'd start with mushrooms.

TINY wrote:
> Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken

broth
> or just milk

Cream of Mushroom Soup

4 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 quart chicken broth
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup cream
Salt & pepper

Melt half the butter in skillet, add mushrooms, chopped or ground,
cover; cook on simmer 5 minutes. Add to broth. Cook 5 minutes. Melt
rest of butter in saucepan, add flour. When it bubbles, stir in broth;
add cream and seasoning.

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/293/Cream_of_Mushroom_Soup44128.shtml

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:48:41 GMT, "TINY" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
>or just milk

Here is a Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe from Allrecipes.com that seems
to have good reviews:

Creamy Mushroom Soup

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
* 2 shallots, chopped
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
* 1 cup half-and-half
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute
the shiitake mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, and shallots for about 5
minutes, or until soft. Mix in the flour until smooth. Gradually stir
in the chicken broth. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until thick and
bubbly.
2. Stir in the half-and-half, season with salt and pepper, and
sprinkle with cinnamon. Heat through, but do not boil.

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/CrmyMshrmSp.asp

Rusty
Sacramento, CA

In article
<ZFb%[email protected]>,
"TINY" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
> or just milk

I start by sauteeing mushrooms with sliced onions, really slowly. Then
I sprinkle in a little flour and cook, following up with a warmed
milk/cream mixture.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Goomba38 wrote:
> TINY wrote:
> > Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with

chicken broth
> > or just milk
> >

> I'd start with mushrooms.

Yes, dehys... their flavor is more intense. First thing is to
rehydrate the 'shrooms. Add the dehy water to the soup, being careful
to not add the last bit, it will contain sand and other schmutz.

WILD RICE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
1 oz. dried shitake mushrooms
3 tbsp. butter
1 lg. onion, chopped
1/3 c. uncooked wild rice
6 c. beef broth
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. sherry
Chopped parsley

In medium bowl, soak dried mushrooms in 2 cups of hot water 1 hour.
Strain mushrooms through double thickness cheesecloth; reserve mushroom
liquid. Cut off and discard tough stems; cut caps into 1/4 inch wide
strips. In 3 quart saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Over medium high
heat, saute onion 3 minutes or until tender. Add rice, broth,
reconstituted mushrooms, and the mushroom liquid. Bring to boiling;
simmer, covered, 35 minutes or until rice is just tender.

Meanwhile, in medium skillet, melt remaining butter. Over medium high
heat, saute fresh mushrooms 3 minutes or until golden. In small bowl,
mix flour with cream, adding cream gradually and stirring until
blended. Add sauteed mushrooms and cream mixture to soup. Heat,
stirring, until boiling. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in
sherry; simmer 2 minutes. Garnish soup with parsley.
---

Sheldon

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > TINY wrote:
> > > Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with

> chicken broth
> > > or just milk
> > >

> > I'd start with mushrooms.

> Yes, dehys... their flavor is more intense. First thing is to
> rehydrate the 'shrooms. Add the dehy water to the soup, being careful
> to not add the last bit, it will contain sand and other schmutz.
>
> WILD RICE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
>
> 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
> 1 oz. dried shitake mushrooms
> 3 tbsp. butter
> 1 lg. onion, chopped
> 1/3 c. uncooked wild rice
> 6 c. beef broth
> 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
> 1/4 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
> 1 c. heavy cream
> 1/4 c. sherry
> Chopped parsley
>
> In medium bowl, soak dried mushrooms in 2 cups of hot water 1 hour.
> Strain mushrooms through double thickness cheesecloth; reserve mushroom
> liquid. Cut off and discard tough stems; cut caps into 1/4 inch wide
> strips. In 3 quart saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Over medium high
> heat, saute onion 3 minutes or until tender. Add rice, broth,
> reconstituted mushrooms, and the mushroom liquid. Bring to boiling;
> simmer, covered, 35 minutes or until rice is just tender.
>
> Meanwhile, in medium skillet, melt remaining butter. Over medium high
> heat, saute fresh mushrooms 3 minutes or until golden. In small bowl,
> mix flour with cream, adding cream gradually and stirring until
> blended. Add sauteed mushrooms and cream mixture to soup. Heat,
> stirring, until boiling. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in
> sherry; simmer 2 minutes. Garnish soup with parsley.
> ---

Sounds like a good recipe. All except the sherry, (I hate sherry). Thanks.

Elaine

Thank you everybody
"Priscilla Ballou" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <ZFb%[email protected]>,
> "TINY" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken
>> broth
>> or just milk

> I start by sauteeing mushrooms with sliced onions, really slowly. Then
> I sprinkle in a little flour and cook, following up with a warmed
> milk/cream mixture.
>
> Priscilla
> --
> "You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
> certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:48:41 GMT, "TINY" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
>or just milk

I like to start with the most interesting mushrooms I can afford or am
willing to spring for. Saute them with S&P in butter and/or OO, puree
in a blender or processor, put back in pot, add minced garlic, and
then decide how much liquid it needs.

Chicken stock or water will work. Simmer just enough to get the garlic
cooked to your liking.

Add a little creme fraiche at the end (let your conscience be your
guide). Sprinkle a chopped fresh herb on and serve.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Let us restore integrity and honor to the White House

In article <[email protected]>,
Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:48:41 GMT, "TINY" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
> >or just milk
> >

> I like to start with the most interesting mushrooms I can afford or am
> willing to spring for. Saute them with S&P in butter and/or OO, puree
> in a blender or processor, put back in pot, add minced garlic, and
> then decide how much liquid it needs.
>
> Chicken stock or water will work. Simmer just enough to get the garlic
> cooked to your liking.
>
> Add a little creme fraiche at the end (let your conscience be your
> guide). Sprinkle a chopped fresh herb on and serve.
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Question about COM soups...

I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.

How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?
--
K.

In article <[email protected]>,
Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> Question about COM soups...
>
> I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
>
> How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
> it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

I think you could make a nice golden mushroom soup with beef broth. I'd
hold well back on the cream for that, though. Maybe a little sour
cream? Hmmm.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

In article <[email protected]>,
Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Question about COM soups...
> >
> > I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> > but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
> >
> > How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
> > it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

> I think you could make a nice golden mushroom soup with beef broth. I'd
> hold well back on the cream for that, though. Maybe a little sour
> cream? Hmmm.
>
> Priscilla

Interesting that you see Cream of chicken soup but never see cream of
beef soup. A little cream added to beef stock is actually pretty good,
but I've never ever done that when I make french onion soup! The grated
cheese pretty well takes care of it. ;-)

Could be an interesting experiment with 'shrooms?
--
K.

Katra wrote:

> Question about COM soups...
>
> I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
>
> How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think

> it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

I wouldn't use beef broth in mushroom soup, but if you want stronger
mushroom flavor - toss in some Italian dried porccini mushrooms. I
found some today at Far West Fungi in Ferry Building Market Place for
$5 per ounce x 4 oz or $2.50 per oz per 8 oz (it's a humongous bag).

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/html/farm_produce.html#farwest

sf

In article <[email protected]>,
"sf" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Question about COM soups...
> >
> > I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> > but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
> >
> > How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think

> > it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

> I wouldn't use beef broth in mushroom soup, but if you want stronger
> mushroom flavor - toss in some Italian dried porccini mushrooms. I
> found some today at Far West Fungi in Ferry Building Market Place for
> $5 per ounce x 4 oz or $2.50 per oz per 8 oz (it's a humongous bag).
>
> http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/html/farm_produce.html#farwest
>
> sf

Sounds mahvelous, thanks!
I know how pungent porcinis are. <lol>
I really do need to get some dried ones, thanks!
And thanks for confirming my suspicions that beef broth
would probably be too strong...... :)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
(snip)

> Question about COM soups...
>
> I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
>
> How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
> it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

I haven't done it, but I think it will depend on how strong the beef
broth is -- and you might consider using half each of chicken and beef
broths. I use both in my onion soup with great success. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:02:13 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:48:41 GMT, "TINY" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Looking to make a good cream of mushroom soup do I start with chicken broth
>> >or just milk
>> >

>> I like to start with the most interesting mushrooms I can afford or am
>> willing to spring for. Saute them with S&P in butter and/or OO, puree
>> in a blender or processor, put back in pot, add minced garlic, and
>> then decide how much liquid it needs.
>>
>> Chicken stock or water will work. Simmer just enough to get the garlic
>> cooked to your liking.
>>
>> Add a little creme fraiche at the end (let your conscience be your
>> guide). Sprinkle a chopped fresh herb on and serve.
>>

>> Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

>Question about COM soups...
>
>I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
>but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
>
>How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
>it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

If you are using strong-tasting mushrooms, like shiitakes, or even
fresh porcini($$$$) I would not expect beef to hurt. If you were using
ordinary white button mushrooms beef broth might dominate.

sf wrote:
> Katra wrote:
>
> > Question about COM soups...
> >
> > I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> > but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
> >
> > How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you

think

> > it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

> I wouldn't use beef broth in mushroom soup.

You haven't tried a Mushroom Beef Barley... it's a classic??? I think
mushrooms go much better with beef than with chicken. And I definitely
would not mix chicken with beef stock, BLECH!

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
> (snip)
> >

> > Question about COM soups...
> >
> > I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> > but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
> >
> > How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
> > it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

> I haven't done it, but I think it will depend on how strong the beef
> broth is -- and you might consider using half each of chicken and beef
> broths. I use both in my onion soup with great success. FWIW.

Danke! :)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:02:13 -0600, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I like to start with the most interesting mushrooms I can afford or am
> >> willing to spring for. Saute them with S&P in butter and/or OO, puree
> >> in a blender or processor, put back in pot, add minced garlic, and
> >> then decide how much liquid it needs.
> >>
> >> Chicken stock or water will work. Simmer just enough to get the garlic
> >> cooked to your liking.
> >>
> >> Add a little creme fraiche at the end (let your conscience be your
> >> guide). Sprinkle a chopped fresh herb on and serve.
> >>

> >> Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

> >Question about COM soups...
> >
> >I know that for a LOT of soups, chicken broth is a standard base,
> >but for french onion soup, beef broth is the main base.
> >
> >How well do you think that would work with mushrooms, or do you think
> >it'd be too rich and cover the flavor?

> If you are using strong-tasting mushrooms, like shiitakes, or even
> fresh porcini($$$$) I would not expect beef to hurt. If you were using
> ordinary white button mushrooms beef broth might dominate.

Thanks!

I have a LOT of dehydrated shitakes on hand at the moment and was trying
to think how best to use some of them up. I usually just powder them and
use them as a meat flavoring/sprinkle (and they are REALLY good that
way!) but was thinking about trying to make some soup with some of them.

Heaven knows these things are cheap enough at the asian market. I also
have a couple of packages of veiled lady mushrooms that have a nice, but
very light, flavor. Great in chicken based soups with leeks.