Hell On Wheels (a.k.a. Hoellentour)

Jay Woo

Guest
For those that are in Melb;

Hell On Wheels (a.k.a. Hoellentour)
Nova Cinemas, Lygon Crt, Carlton
Season starts: 19 May

The brilliant Tour de France documentary Hell on Wheels is the first
theatrical release by the newly established Aztec International and
will screen for an exclusive season at Nova Cinemas, opening on 19 May.

The Tour de France is the world's premier cycling race, watched by
millions of people around the world. The appeal is easily explained -
the often stunning locations; the fierce international competition; the
courage displayed in completing the course. Of all the endurance races
worldwide, The Tour always takes highest priority, for cyclist and fans
alike.

With the film Hell On Wheels, Academy Award winning director Pepe
Danquart celebrates the 100th tour. Danquart focuses primarily on 2
German riders, Rolf Aldag, and the legendary nemesis of Australian
sprinters, Erik Zabel. He picked a great year to document the race, as
2003 provided the most dramatic and exciting race for many decades.
Danquart's narrative traces the history of the event, including some
wonderful old footage, the media scrums, the crowds along the way and
some brilliant racing action. But ultimately, it's the rider
portraits that make the film unique.

Hell On Wheels sidesteps convention in identifying some of the raw,
human aspects to the race. It's the combination of grace and raw
power that viewers are guaranteed each year. And Hell On Wheels offers
them in spades, in a compelling visual document.

Trailer:
http://www.hoellentour-derfilm.de/dl/trailer gross.mov

Pix
http://outnow.ch/Media/Img/2004/Hoellentour/

"Jay Woo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For those that are in Melb;
>
> Hell On Wheels (a.k.a. Hoellentour)
> Nova Cinemas, Lygon Crt, Carlton
> Season starts: 19 May

sweeet... ta for the heads up..

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
sweeet... ta for the heads up..

cheers,
GPL

father-in-law saw this recently in Adelaide and reckons it is awesome

F"IMHO-JimSchembri-couldnt-review-his-way-out-of-a-wet-paperbag!"Dutch

Well it may be a stupid question but having just watched the trailer, is
the commentary in English, or are there subtitles at least (neither of
which were in the trailer). If I'm going to convince my wife to go I
need something to work with here.

DaveB

Jay Woo said:
For those that are in Melb;

Hell On Wheels (a.k.a. Hoellentour)
Nova Cinemas, Lygon Crt, Carlton
Season starts: 19 May

Cheers, that info's definitely going in the next YBUG Newsletter. :D

DaveB wrote:
> Well it may be a stupid question but having just watched the trailer, is
> the commentary in English, or are there subtitles at least (neither of
> which were in the trailer). If I'm going to convince my wife to go I
> need something to work with here.
>
> DaveB

Or....leave her at home :)
Got a feeling that's what I'll be doing.

--
Nick

flyingdutch said:
I might drop mine round too.

Hmm... Likewise... I think we need a creche where we all leave them during this. Or just dump them at Borders with romance novels, Cosmo, and lemon tarts :p

Spied you in Flinders St today FD... but by the time I realised it was you (blue fixie - check. eggbeaters - check. thunderbirds sticker - check) you were off diving between trams...

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> father-in-law saw this recently in Adelaide and reckons it is awesome

I saw it at the screening at the Adelaide Film festival too. Absolutely
fantastic. Is in english, french and german. mainly German, w' subtitles.
Is essentially a documentary of Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag during the tour de
france 2003.
The wives will like it, take them along too. It's quite a humerous film,
with lots of good shots of the race. A must for Zabel fans!

Best bit was when they showed the beloki crash (breaking his hip for those
who can't remember) and Lance taking off across the field. The Cinema was
full (sold out screening) and everyone went "OOOOOOOHHH". Never heard a
crowd that big in a movie do that before!
Cheers
Gemma

eddiec said:
Hmm... Likewise... I think we need a creche where we all leave them during this. Or just dump them at Borders with romance novels, Cosmo, and lemon tarts :p

Spied you in Flinders St today FD... but by the time I realised it was you (blue fixie - check. eggbeaters - check. thunderbirds sticker - check) you were off diving between trams...

hehe. reckon here might be a business idea in supplying bikeparking and shower facilities in CBD? or we could tell em its a period drama. you know hte usual ****. jane austen, man in tights, on horse, fancies poor village bint from the wrong family, blah, blah, angst ,angst. Just shag the woman already, will ya???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

off diving between trams??? oh yeah. they were banked up going down Swanston and did the favourite taxi trick of sneaking across intersection without adequate space to get into in far side...

you still got that 'angry-ram' arrangement on your green machine? ;)

Jay Woo said:
For those that are in Melb;

Hell On Wheels (a.k.a. Hoellentour)
Nova Cinemas, Lygon Crt, Carlton
Season starts: 19 May

That's great Jay Woo. Just a note for next time though. Next time you find out about something like this, don't let us know until 2 weeks beforehand so that we don't have to "hang out" for it so long. :D

Gemma_k wrote:
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>

>>father-in-law saw this recently in Adelaide and reckons it is awesome

> I saw it at the screening at the Adelaide Film festival too. Absolutely
> fantastic. Is in english, french and german. mainly German, w' subtitles.
> Is essentially a documentary of Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag during the tour de
> france 2003.
> The wives will like it, take them along too. It's quite a humerous film,
> with lots of good shots of the race. A must for Zabel fans!
>
> Best bit was when they showed the beloki crash (breaking his hip for those
> who can't remember) and Lance taking off across the field. The Cinema was
> full (sold out screening) and everyone went "OOOOOOOHHH". Never heard a
> crowd that big in a movie do that before!
> Cheers
> Gemma

Everytime I see that scene on my SBS Tour de France video I cringe and
have to look away. He must have been in such pain.

Marty

Gemma_k said:
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> father-in-law saw this recently in Adelaide and reckons it is awesome

I saw it at the screening at the Adelaide Film festival too. Absolutely
fantastic. Is in english, french and german. mainly German, w' subtitles.
Is essentially a documentary of Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag during the tour de
france 2003.
The wives will like it, take them along too. It's quite a humerous film,
with lots of good shots of the race. A must for Zabel fans!

Gemma

Gotta agree with all of that! Definately a sexy cycling film. I never thought i could use those words in the same sentence. I would be interested to hear the feedback from someone who has no interest in cycling at all and watched it. You can order it from Amazon Germany. The DVD has english and french subtitles, 5.1 track and with Zabel and the Director also doing a commentary. Which i am sure would be interesting if only i could understand them. Zabel is a pretty funny character. My only complaint is that Vino needs his own subtitles.

eddiec said:
Hmm... Likewise... I think we need a creche where we all leave them during this. Or just dump them at Borders with romance novels, Cosmo, and lemon tarts :p

Spied you in Flinders St today FD... but by the time I realised it was you (blue fixie - check. eggbeaters - check. thunderbirds sticker - check) you were off diving between trams...

thank my cute little purple cannondale i am not a wife, and particularly not one of your wives guys!!!! :eek: hehehe

warrwych said:
thank my cute little purple cannondale i am not a wife, and particularly not one of your wives guys!!!! :eek: hehehe

Why isnt there some kind of warning as to all the side effects of hookin up with non-riding types?
If said wif WOZ a rider the only problem would be which room IN the house the bikes were kept in!!!

flyingdutch said:
Why isnt there some kind of warning as to all the side effects of hookin up with non-riding types?

It's simple, if you're a bike fiend, don't hook up with a non-cyclist. That's my common denominator with relationships. Otherwise, deal.

flyingdutch said:
If said wif WOZ a rider the only problem would be which room IN the house the bikes were kept in!!!

No probs around here, we've got a dedicated bike room. As long as there's not too many grease marks on the carpet, I don't give a flying toss. :D

Filmwise, what screening you folks going to?

cfsmtb said:
It's simple, if you're a bike fiend, don't hook up with a non-cyclist. That's my common denominator with relationships. Otherwise, deal.

No probs around here, we've got a dedicated bike room. As long as there's not too many grease marks on the carpet, I don't give a flying toss. :D

totally agree cfsmtb - also much easier to live with just a dog and a cat ;) and a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG shed/garage is always a bonus - am working on that one!! :D

cfsmtb said:
It's simple, if you're a bike fiend, don't hook up with a non-cyclist. That's my common denominator with relationships. Otherwise, deal.

No probs around here, we've got a dedicated bike room. As long as there's not too many grease marks on the carpet, I don't give a flying toss. :D

Filmwise, what screening you folks going to?

yeah, yeah. make all us guys jealous why dont you.
sadly Mr soiler aint my type... :rolleyes:

cfsmtb wrote:

> Filmwise, what screening you folks going to?

Gawd, you're planning film sessions for a film in May. I'm busy working
out what Commonwealth games sessions to apply for, it's all too
confusing, don't want to pay too much, don't want to miss out on sessions.

DaveB "so confused, need to go for a ride"

cfsmtb wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> Why isnt there some kind of warning as to all the side effects of
>>hookin up with non-riding types?

> It's simple, if you're a bike fiend, don't hook up with a non-cyclist.
> That's my common denominator with relationships. Otherwise, deal.

hehe :)
Now you know my real grudge against cars.. they really reduce what's on
offer!! ;)

> Filmwise, what screening you folks going to?

19th of May onwards? Hmm.. Guess it'll have to be in London..
"Spare a pound for a needy lad guv'na?" ;)

hippy