SRAM cassette vs. Shimano

I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
Cassette.
Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
different?
TIA.

Scott

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
> pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
> Cassette.
> Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
> different?
> TIA.

But you're a mountain biker! Where're your pink frilly socks???

To answer you, no on both accounts.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] wrote:

>I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
>pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
>Cassette.
>Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
>different?
>TIA.

I run both SRAM and Shimano cassettes - I feel they both shift pretty
much the same, and have had no problems with the SRAM. OK, I DID bend
a 32-tooth cog in a way I doubt a Shimano cog would have bent, but it
was a simple matter of hammering it out flat and reinstalling it on
the cassette. I like the fact they cost about half as much as a
Shimano cassette, too...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
> pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
> Cassette.
> Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
> different?
> TIA.
>

> Scott

Scott, I have been using SRAM cassettes for three years and won't go
back to Shimano. I have nothing against Shimano but they are certainly
no better for the money and the SRAMs are easier to keep clean. I have
two Campy equiped bikes and if SRAM makes a compatible cassette, I will
quit buying Campy cassettes too since they are far more overpriced than
even Shimano. I am a SRAM chain fan as well and use them exclusively
for my road, cross, and mountian bikes.

Terry

On 21 Mar 2005 12:44:35 -0800, [email protected] may have said:

>I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
>pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
>Cassette.
>Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
>different?

I haven't used any SRAM 9s cassettes yet, but I've been happy with the
8s cassettes of theirs, so I see no reason to believe that their 9s
units would have problems.

> I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
> pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
> Cassette.
> Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
> different?
> TIA.
>

> Scott

We have used Sram road and MTB cogsets as replacements for shimano for a
while and are really happy with their durability and shifting
performance.A good replacement for the almost impossible to find 12-27
shimano one.