Help- I need to take apart a freehub body

lppl

Guest
I've got it off the hub, and got the dust cap out, but now I need to
unscrew the bearing race so I can get at the pawls.

Anyone have any suggestions for an easy to make tool to get the thing
apart? I know, the shimano TL-FH40 is the right tool, but they are no
where to be found. My nearest LBS is 100 miles away.

No, I'm not trying to fix the thing. This one is brand new. I am
trying to remove the pawls so I can use a cassette for a mid-drive
gear on a recumbent bike I am planning.

Thanks!

lppl wrote:
> I've got it off the hub, and got the dust cap out, but now I need to
> unscrew the bearing race so I can get at the pawls.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for an easy to make tool to get the thing
> apart? I know, the shimano TL-FH40 is the right tool, but they are

no
> where to be found. My nearest LBS is 100 miles away.
>
> No, I'm not trying to fix the thing. This one is brand new. I am
> trying to remove the pawls so I can use a cassette for a mid-drive
> gear on a recumbent bike I am planning.

The one time I did this, I made a tool* from a piece of aluminum bar
stock that I had lying around. I put the "tool" in a vise and leaned on
the FHB while I twisted it with a pair of water pump pliers (I think).
I suppose you could also use a chainwhip on a cassette. It took a bit
of force, my tool got twisted a little, steel would have been better,
but harder to fabricate.

*The "tool" was just a piece of stock that happened to be the right
thickness for the slot in the cup, I trimmed the width to just fit
inside the shell.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> writes:

> lppl wrote:
>> I've got it off the hub, and got the dust cap out, but now I need to
>> unscrew the bearing race so I can get at the pawls.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for an easy to make tool to get the thing
>> apart? I know, the shimano TL-FH40 is the right tool, but they are

> no
>> where to be found. My nearest LBS is 100 miles away.
>>
>> No, I'm not trying to fix the thing. This one is brand new. I am
>> trying to remove the pawls so I can use a cassette for a mid-drive
>> gear on a recumbent bike I am planning.

> The one time I did this, I made a tool* from a piece of aluminum bar
> stock that I had lying around. I put the "tool" in a vise and leaned on
> the FHB while I twisted it with a pair of water pump pliers (I think).
> I suppose you could also use a chainwhip on a cassette. It took a bit
> of force, my tool got twisted a little, steel would have been better,
> but harder to fabricate.
>
> *The "tool" was just a piece of stock that happened to be the right
> thickness for the slot in the cup, I trimmed the width to just fit
> inside the shell.

I have heard that a little grinding on one of the two-pronged freewheel
tools will convert it for this application.

lppl wrote:

> I've got it off the hub, and got the dust cap out, but now I need to
> unscrew the bearing race so I can get at the pawls.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for an easy to make tool to get the thing
> apart? I know, the shimano TL-FH40 is the right tool, but they are no
> where to be found. My nearest LBS is 100 miles away.
>
> No, I'm not trying to fix the thing. This one is brand new. I am
> trying to remove the pawls so I can use a cassette for a mid-drive
> gear on a recumbent bike I am planning.

put the hub back on a wheel, and use a hammer and punch. LH threads
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

lppl wrote:

> I've got it off the hub, and got the dust cap out, but now I need to
> unscrew the bearing race so I can get at the pawls.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for an easy to make tool to get the thing
> apart? I know, the shimano TL-FH40 is the right tool, but they are no
> where to be found. My nearest LBS is 100 miles away.
>
> No, I'm not trying to fix the thing. This one is brand new. I am
> trying to remove the pawls so I can use a cassette for a mid-drive
> gear on a recumbent bike I am planning.

Just grind the shape of a TL-FH40 into a scrap piece of
steel tube or pipe. Pierce the other end and stick something
through it to turn (clockwise) the race out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

lppl wrote:
> I found this- seller is on vacation, so I can't ask for size info, but
> it looks like the right sort of thing...
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2221065589&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
> Has anyone used one of these before? It doesn't look like the tool
> shown on the Sheldon Brown pages, but the shape is right for the job.

That is the very tool you seek.
For a one-time use, a surrogate may be fabricated from a
piece of pipe.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

HI, I'VE MANAGED TO DO THIS WITHOUT THE FH-40 BY CAREFULLY HITTING THE NOTCHES ON THE FREE HUB RACE IN A CLOCKWISE DIRECTION USING AN APPROPRIATE SIZED FLAT END SCREW DRIVER AND A PERSUADER !. I KNOW IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE BUT I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY CARRIED OUT THIS AT THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS ON THREE DIFFERENT SHIMANO FREE HUB BODIES . JUST MAKE SURE THE BODY IS STILL ATTACHED TO THE HUB, OTHERWISE THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. ALSO APPLY WD40 BEFORE HAND. AND USE YOUR COMMON SENSE WHEN HITTING AS YOU CAN EASILY SLIP AND SCRATCH THE THE OUTER RACE SURFACE, SO PAY ATTENTION AND BE CAREFUL. GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT.