mascarpone redux

Serene

Guest
Ohmigoodness. I just tried the mascarpone (haven't had it before) to
give me an idea of what to make with it for supper. Um, wow. It's just
solid cream. (Ingredients: pasteurized cream, citric acid (acidity
corrector)). I'm in love. Right now, I'm eating it on Triscuits, with
half of them drizzled with thai sweet chili sauce. I'm in love, did I
mention that?

Probably will make a pasta sauce out of whatever I don't snarf on
crackers. This stuff is killer.

In other cheese news, I went to the Cheese Board for the first time the
other day. Got an incredible D'Affinois, and a lovely soft Jack (telera?
no, that can't be right) and some Cotswold (my new favorite cheddar-like
substance), and a bit of decent havarti. Cheesy goodness.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com

[email protected] (Serene), if that's their real name, wrote:

>Ohmigoodness. I just tried the mascarpone (haven't had it before) to
>give me an idea of what to make with it for supper. Um, wow. It's just
>solid cream. (Ingredients: pasteurized cream, citric acid (acidity
>corrector)). I'm in love.

Try mixing it with Nutella. You'll love it even more.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Serene), if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >Ohmigoodness. I just tried the mascarpone (haven't had it before) to
> >give me an idea of what to make with it for supper. Um, wow. It's just
> >solid cream. (Ingredients: pasteurized cream, citric acid (acidity
> >corrector)). I'm in love.

> Try mixing it with Nutella. You'll love it even more.

Thanks, but I'll pass. Hate nutella (or any hazelnut-chocolate
combination, though I like hazelnuts just fine on their own).

(Which is a shame, since Nutella is the official food of bi people
everywhere. I keep my wife around just so they don't take away my bi
card.)

serene
--

On Mon 28 Mar 2005 12:55:59a, Serene wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] (Serene), if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>> >Ohmigoodness. I just tried the mascarpone (haven't had it before) to
>> >give me an idea of what to make with it for supper. Um, wow. It's
>> >just solid cream. (Ingredients: pasteurized cream, citric acid
>> >(acidity corrector)). I'm in love.

>> Try mixing it with Nutella. You'll love it even more.

> Thanks, but I'll pass. Hate nutella (or any hazelnut-chocolate
> combination, though I like hazelnuts just fine on their own).
>
> (Which is a shame, since Nutella is the official food of bi people
> everywhere. I keep my wife around just so they don't take away my bi
> card.)
>
> serene

Failing having clotted cream, mascarpone is really good on freshly-baked
scones with strawberry jam.

Wayne

Mascarpone is great with fresh fruit. Every year when I get ripe
apricots I halve and pit them, put a spoonful of mascarpone in the
middle, and top with cherries or berries. I can make a whole tray of
them in a short time, no cooking needed, although they are also good
cooked this way. It is a simple and refreshing early summer treat.

For eating on crackers, I prefer Fontina an Edam. I also enjoy Tallegio
when I can find it.

Dean G.

On Mon 28 Mar 2005 12:11:10p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:

>>> Thanks, but I'll pass. Hate nutella (or any hazelnut-chocolate
>>> combination, though I like hazelnuts just fine on their own).
>>>
>>> (Which is a shame, since Nutella is the official food of bi people
>>> everywhere. I keep my wife around just so they don't take away my bi
>>> card.)
>>>
>>> serene

>> Failing having clotted cream, mascarpone is really good on
>> freshly-baked scones with strawberry jam.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Yum. That sounds good. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and need low
> carb food. My glucose was 297 yesterday. OTOH I've been drinking a ton
> of Gatorade and Ensure which may have increased it. I am really going to
> hate this. I have to do the low carb diet. My nurse will call and help.

Type 2 diabetes, I presume? Did they put you on oral meds? Yes, Gatorade
and Ensure will play havoc with diabetes, but there are plenty of things
hyou can enjoy and still maintain a proper blood glocuse level.

Diabetes can play havoc with the healing process, too. This may have been
complicating some of the things you're trying to recover from.

> Ob Food:
>
> In the meantime it's egg salad (no cheese) and ham sandwiches/with swiss
> on rye. Lots of German mustard

Also, watch the bread!

Wayne

"Dog3" <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in message
> Yum. That sounds good. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and need low
> carb food. My glucose was 297 yesterday. OTOH I've been drinking a ton of
> Gatorade and Ensure which may have increased it. I am really going to hate
> this. I have to do the low carb diet. My nurse will call and help.

You should take a look at alt.support.diet.low-carb, if you haven't
found it yet...some very good advice and recipes from many of the
same people as here...

pavane

Serene <[email protected]> wrote:
>Ohmigoodness. I just tried the mascarpone (haven't had it before) to
>give me an idea of what to make with it for supper. Um, wow. It's just
>solid cream.

It's soft cream cheese is what it is.

--Blair
"Bagels!"

Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
>Yum. That sounds good. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and need low
>carb food. My glucose was 297 yesterday.

What does 297 mean in terms of

1. danger?
2. food intake needed to create it?
3. food intake change needed to reduce it?

>In the meantime it's egg salad (no cheese) and ham sandwiches/with swiss on
>rye. Lots of German mustard

I've been dieting for a while, and one of the things I
really want is egg salad.

Maybe if I make it with only 1 yolk per 5 or 6 whites, and
use low-fat mayo...

--Blair
"Could be a plan."

"Serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1gu37kk.1g00z83ns8my8N%[email protected]...
> Ohmigoodness. I just tried the mascarpone (haven't had it before) to
> give me an idea of what to make with it for supper. Um, wow. It's just
> solid cream. (Ingredients: pasteurized cream, citric acid (acidity
> corrector)). I'm in love. Right now, I'm eating it on Triscuits, with
> half of them drizzled with thai sweet chili sauce. I'm in love, did I
> mention that?
>
> Probably will make a pasta sauce out of whatever I don't snarf on
> crackers. This stuff is killer.
>
> In other cheese news, I went to the Cheese Board for the first time the
> other day. Got an incredible D'Affinois, and a lovely soft Jack (telera?
> no, that can't be right) and some Cotswold (my new favorite cheddar-like
> substance), and a bit of decent havarti. Cheesy goodness.
>
> serene

Raspberry Chipotle over the cheese....

;-)

Dimitri

On Mon 28 Mar 2005 04:31:42p, Blair P. Houghton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
>>Yum. That sounds good. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and need low
>>carb food. My glucose was 297 yesterday.

> What does 297 mean in terms of
>
> 1. danger?
> 2. food intake needed to create it?
> 3. food intake change needed to reduce it?

There's a wealth of information on the web searching for blood gluclose
levels, but a normal reading should not exceed 120. A level of 297 is
dangerous.

Almost any food can elevate your blood sugar, but foods high in
carbohydrates work more rapidly to do so than than foods low in
carbohydrates.

Simple... What your carb intake and keep it relatively low.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Mon 28 Mar 2005 06:18:07p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Mon 28 Mar 2005 12:11:10p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> news:[email protected]:

>>> Yum. That sounds good. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and need
>>> low carb food. My glucose was 297 yesterday. OTOH I've been drinking
>>> a ton of Gatorade and Ensure which may have increased it. I am really
>>> going to hate this. I have to do the low carb diet. My nurse will
>>> call and help.

>> Type 2 diabetes, I presume? Did they put you on oral meds? Yes,
>> Gatorade and Ensure will play havoc with diabetes, but there are
>> plenty of things hyou can enjoy and still maintain a proper blood
>> glocuse level.
>>
>> Diabetes can play havoc with the healing process, too. This may have
>> been complicating some of the things you're trying to recover from.
>>
>>> Ob Food:
>>>
>>> In the meantime it's egg salad (no cheese) and ham sandwiches/with
>>> swiss on rye. Lots of German mustard
>>>

>> Also, watch the bread!
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> It is type 2. I'm on meds and they make me sleepy.

That'll pass. The high blood glucose level with also make you sleepy.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> > Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
> >>Yum. That sounds good. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and
> >>need low carb food. My glucose was 297 yesterday.

> > What does 297 mean in terms of
> >
> > 1. danger?
> > 2. food intake needed to create it?
> > 3. food intake change needed to reduce it?

> There's a wealth of information on the web searching for blood
> gluclose levels, but a normal reading should not exceed 120. A
> level of 297 is dangerous.

Anything over 148 is causing Permenent Damage to your body....Crud
collecting in Arteries on optic nerves etc.... Have a nice stroke or limb
removal.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban

Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It is type 2. I'm on meds and they make me sleepy.

Time to cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, peas, booze and carrots.
Use your meter before and after meals. After you lose some weight maybe
you can re-introduce them. The ADA says 45 carbs a meal...that's usually
way too many. I have better luck with keeping it under/near 10 carbs a
meal.

read Alt.support.diabetes
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol (times by 18 to get mg/dl)
Continuing to be Manitoban

On Mon 28 Mar 2005 07:36:36p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> It is type 2. I'm on meds and they make me sleepy.
>>

> Time to cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, peas, booze and carrots.
> Use your meter before and after meals. After you lose some weight maybe
> you can re-introduce them. The ADA says 45 carbs a meal...that's usually
> way too many. I have better luck with keeping it under/near 10 carbs a
> meal.
>
> read Alt.support.diabetes
> More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Alan, I don't think Michael can afford to lose an ounce. I, OTOH, could
afford to lose quite a few.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Mascarpone is great with fresh fruit. Every year when I get ripe
> apricots I halve and pit them, put a spoonful of mascarpone in the
> middle, and top with cherries or berries. I can make a whole tray of
> them in a short time, no cooking needed, although they are also good
> cooked this way. It is a simple and refreshing early summer treat.

Oh, yum.

(Have to try Fontina. Mmmm.)

serene

Also, take a look at alt.food.diabetic

As to meters, there are dozens out there. I use a Lifescan OneTouch Ultra.
Processes the blood sample in 5 seconds. Diabetics test their blood
glucose levels from 2 to 10 times a day, depending on their doctor's
recommendation or their own "need to know" requirements. The intervals can
be:

fasting
before breakfast
1 and/or 2 hours after breafast
before lunch
1 and/or 2 hours after lunch
before dinner
1 and/or 2 hours after dinner
before bedtime

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Dog3 <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Now, what is this meter thing?

You DON'T have a meter??? A blood glucose meter?

Get one stat...it is the first thing given to me.