Lidl Review

Keith Willoughby

Guest
Just got back from Lidl. (My lack of cycling during the winter came back
to bite me. Only 9 miles both ways, but it killed me, especially on the
way back with a toolkit in the panniers)

The cycling shirt is pretty nice. Very much like the one I bought last
year, but in a nicer colour scheme.

The shorts seem decent for the money. Comparable to the Tchibo ones.

You can't go wrong with the gloves for 2 quid.

The toolkit looks OK. I've not used it, obviously, and if I were
tinkering all the time I'm sure I'd want a more professional quality
set, but for 15 quid it looks perfectly adequate for occasional
use. The spoke-key looks a bit ****, as does the adjustable spanner
(although I don't think I've ever seen a good, cheap adjustable) but the
rest looks solid. I'm not sure what the socket set fits on a bike,
though - the only use for a socket I'm aware of on my bike is the crank
bolts, and there isn't a 14mm socket in the set to fit that. Still, it's
a very convenient way of collecting most of the useful tools, as long as
the spanners do their job adequately.

I almost bought the radio - I've fancied some radio-on-the-move for
ages, but didn't want to use earphones. However, it was a bit big and
heavy, so I decided not to bother. I also don't really have space on the
bars.

Surveillance makes me free

On 28/3/05 11:35 am, in article [email protected], "Keith
Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just got back from Lidl. (My lack of cycling during the winter came back
> to bite me. Only 9 miles both ways, but it killed me, especially on the
> way back with a toolkit in the panniers)

I popped by on my way in to work. It wasn't any lack of cycling but having
not played rugby for years to get through the scrum..

> The cycling shirt is pretty nice. Very much like the one I bought last
> year, but in a nicer colour scheme.

And with a reflective bit over the pocket.

> The shorts seem decent for the money. Comparable to the Tchibo ones.

They are (from previous experience)

> You can't go wrong with the gloves for 2 quid.

Likewise.. Two pairs, and they have reflective bits on.

> The toolkit looks OK. I've not used it, obviously, and if I were
> tinkering all the time I'm sure I'd want a more professional quality
> set, but for 15 quid it looks perfectly adequate for occasional
> use. The spoke-key looks a bit ****, as does the adjustable spanner
> (although I don't think I've ever seen a good, cheap adjustable) but the
> rest looks solid. I'm not sure what the socket set fits on a bike,
> though - the only use for a socket I'm aware of on my bike is the crank
> bolts, and there isn't a 14mm socket in the set to fit that. Still, it's
> a very convenient way of collecting most of the useful tools, as long as
> the spanners do their job adequately.

The spoke key is **** and the cone spanners look like the cheese ones I
have. However teh rest looks reasonably good and excellent value.

They had a couple of other tool kits. I also got the seat pack one which had
a dumbell spanner (bin), a multi tool with spanners, allen keys,
screwdrivers etc on, puncture kit/levers including a tyre boot, and in a
wedge pack that expands big enough to fit a spare tube and maybe a spare
tyre in (for small folding tyres or sprints).

> I almost bought the radio - I've fancied some radio-on-the-move for
> ages, but didn't want to use earphones. However, it was a bit big and
> heavy, so I decided not to bother. I also don't really have space on the
> bars.

Didn't even look at it. The roof bars didn't have any cycle fittings so I
left them.

...d

> You can't go wrong with the gloves for 2 quid.

picked up a pair of those..

looks like plenty of the lidl kit has made it to ebay already! those ebay
fiends are fast.

> those ebay fiends are fast.

Doubly fast in Manchester - some git had bought up Longsight's entire
supply of toolkits. Just hoping ebay is flooded with 'em and I can get one
there for not too much.

On 28/3/05 1:10 pm, in article [email protected], "JBB"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Didn't need any clothes but the tool-kit is fine for the price as are the
> gloves. The real find is the panniers - fantastic build quality for the
> price. Same study construction as the EBC ones I bought 3 years ago, look to
> be waterproof - although I'll test them, reflectors and a mesh outside
> pocket. So good that after looking at one pair in detail went back in the
> shop and bought another. Anyone looking for panniers for a commute is onto a
> winner here.

Missed those. I saw the bar bags but didn't need one.

...d

"Keith Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got back from Lidl. (My lack of cycling during the winter came back
> to bite me. Only 9 miles both ways, but it killed me, especially on the
> way back with a toolkit in the panniers)
>
> The cycling shirt is pretty nice. Very much like the one I bought last
> year, but in a nicer colour scheme.
>
> The shorts seem decent for the money. Comparable to the Tchibo ones.
>
> You can't go wrong with the gloves for 2 quid.
>
> The toolkit looks OK. I've not used it, obviously, and if I were
> tinkering all the time I'm sure I'd want a more professional quality
> set, but for 15 quid it looks perfectly adequate for occasional
> use. The spoke-key looks a bit ****, as does the adjustable spanner
> (although I don't think I've ever seen a good, cheap adjustable) but the
> rest looks solid. I'm not sure what the socket set fits on a bike,
> though - the only use for a socket I'm aware of on my bike is the crank
> bolts, and there isn't a 14mm socket in the set to fit that. Still, it's
> a very convenient way of collecting most of the useful tools, as long as
> the spanners do their job adequately.
>
> I almost bought the radio - I've fancied some radio-on-the-move for
> ages, but didn't want to use earphones. However, it was a bit big and
> heavy, so I decided not to bother. I also don't really have space on the
> bars.
>
> --
> Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
> Surveillance makes me free

Didn't need any clothes but the tool-kit is fine for the price as are the
gloves. The real find is the panniers - fantastic build quality for the
price. Same study construction as the EBC ones I bought 3 years ago, look to
be waterproof - although I'll test them, reflectors and a mesh outside
pocket. So good that after looking at one pair in detail went back in the
shop and bought another. Anyone looking for panniers for a commute is onto a
winner here.

Julia

David Martin wrote:

> The spoke key is **** and the cone spanners look like the cheese ones
> I have. However teh rest looks reasonably good and excellent value.

If the cone spanners are the same as the Bike Hand ones sold separately by
Dyasons's (I suspect so), they're actually ok for using several times a
year for several years.

~PB

On 28/3/05 2:47 pm, in article [email protected], "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>
>> The spoke key is **** and the cone spanners look like the cheese ones
>> I have. However teh rest looks reasonably good and excellent value.

> If the cone spanners are the same as the Bike Hand ones sold separately by
> Dyasons's (I suspect so), they're actually ok for using several times a
> year for several years.

They look similar to some I got from Halfords many years ago that were quite
literally cheese.
They are pressed steel with a strengthening ridge pressed into them. Each
jaw has two different sizes.

The Park and Shimano ones I have are much better.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> They look similar to some I got from Halfords many years ago that were quite
> literally cheese.
> They are pressed steel with a strengthening ridge pressed into them. Each
> jaw has two different sizes.

I had a look at it and decided at the price it didn't look worth it.
You either want to use it for the workshop in which case you want decent
tools for removing bottom brackets etc or you want it for occassional
use in which case a lot of the tools there were superfluous and as you
say didn't look at all durable.

I did buy a couple of the bike lift thingies and they look reasonably
well, if crudely, constructed. But at £3.99 ea I can't complain.

Tony

On 28/3/05 3:06 pm, in article [email protected], "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>>
>> They look similar to some I got from Halfords many years ago that were quite
>> literally cheese.
>> They are pressed steel with a strengthening ridge pressed into them. Each
>> jaw has two different sizes.
>>

> I had a look at it and decided at the price it didn't look worth it.
> You either want to use it for the workshop in which case you want decent
> tools for removing bottom brackets etc or you want it for occassional
> use in which case a lot of the tools there were superfluous and as you
> say didn't look at all durable.

Most of the bits were OK. I have gradually fitted my bikes with self
extracting bottom bracket bolts which are great so the crank extractor isn't
much use. The only devent one I have ever had is the shimano one. All the
others I have had were **** for one reason or another.

The pedal spanner looked OK as did the chain tool The Allen keys also looked
fine and will probably replace the spiral bound bunch in my travelling
toolkit.

The little seat pack with the multitool in seemed very good value.

...d

Tony Raven wrote:
> I had a look at it and decided at the price it didn't look worth it.
> You either want to use it for the workshop in which case you want
> decent tools for removing bottom brackets etc or you want it for
> occassional
> use in which case a lot of the tools there were superfluous and as you
> say didn't look at all durable.

They're for occasional workshop use!

~PB

David Martin wrote:
[cone spanners]
> They look similar to some I got from Halfords many years ago that
> were quite literally cheese.
> They are pressed steel with a strengthening ridge pressed into them.
> Each jaw has two different sizes.

I've used mine plenty of times. There are some marks on them but not
enough degradation to actually interfere with function and cause any
rounding.

> The Park and Shimano ones I have are much better.

General rant:
Of course, and they're much more expensive. Yes it is /nice/ to have
pro tools but you have to be quite rich to buy a full kit of that quality
(we're talking hundreds of pounds). I don't think it's fair to expect
everyone who can't afford that to rely on the LBS to fix & service
everything when they fancy DIYing.
I don't think cyclists who service their own hubs once or thrice a
year need cone spanners which are designed for daily professional workshop
use.

I really do find some "cheap" tools are actually ok, not a false economy,
but I will shell out for better quality as and when needed, eg. the Tacx
BB tool for Mirage-Centaur BBs that actually costs more than the BB!
(Lesser ones slip and round the cups).

~PB

Tony Raven wrote:
[snip]
> I did buy a couple of the bike lift thingies and they look reasonably
> well, if crudely, constructed. But at £3.99 ea I can't complain.

I'd have been interested in them too, if I had not already rigged up an
equivalent system using spare screw-in wheels from a clothes airer /
pulley plus some hooks. That stores two bikes at the top of the
stair-well where they obstruct nothing.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

On 28/3/05 3:48 pm, in article [email protected], "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
> [cone spanners]
>> They look similar to some I got from Halfords many years ago that
>> were quite literally cheese.
>> They are pressed steel with a strengthening ridge pressed into them.
>> Each jaw has two different sizes.

> I've used mine plenty of times. There are some marks on them but not
> enough degradation to actually interfere with function and cause any
> rounding.
>
>> The Park and Shimano ones I have are much better.

> General rant:
> Of course, and they're much more expensive. Yes it is /nice/ to have
> pro tools but you have to be quite rich to buy a full kit of that quality
> (we're talking hundreds of pounds). I don't think it's fair to expect
> everyone who can't afford that to rely on the LBS to fix & service
> everything when they fancy DIYing.

I agreee entirely. The cheap ones I had before (still have AAMOF) were not
even up to that task. The next step up was the Park/Shimano ones. There are
some tools where it is worth spending a bit of money: IME crank extractor,
cone spanners, and freewheel/cassette removers are worth spending money on.

> I don't think cyclists who service their own hubs once or thrice a
> year need cone spanners which are designed for daily professional workshop
> use.

It may actually be easier to use the cheap tools for servicing frequently
looked at hubs than ones that only get looked at infrequently, due to the
former being more amenable to shifting..

> I really do find some "cheap" tools are actually ok, not a false economy,
> but I will shell out for better quality as and when needed, eg. the Tacx
> BB tool for Mirage-Centaur BBs that actually costs more than the BB!
> (Lesser ones slip and round the cups).

Agree entirely. There is a difference between 'cheap and serviceable for
occasional use' and 'cheap **** that is more trouble than it is worth'. It
will be interesting to see how these ones stack up. For 15 quid the set I
was rpepared to take a gamble.

...d

JLB wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I did buy a couple of the bike lift thingies and they look reasonably
>> well, if crudely, constructed. But at £3.99 ea I can't complain.

> I'd have been interested in them too, if I had not already rigged up an
> equivalent system using spare screw-in wheels from a clothes airer /
> pulley plus some hooks. That stores two bikes at the top of the
> stair-well where they obstruct nothing.

I need to pull the tandems up into the garage roof so I can fit some
more bikes in at ground level ;-)

Tony

On 28/3/05 4:53 pm, in article [email protected], "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> JLB wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I did buy a couple of the bike lift thingies and they look reasonably
>>> well, if crudely, constructed. But at £3.99 ea I can't complain.

>> I'd have been interested in them too, if I had not already rigged up an
>> equivalent system using spare screw-in wheels from a clothes airer /
>> pulley plus some hooks. That stores two bikes at the top of the
>> stair-well where they obstruct nothing.
>>

> I need to pull the tandems up into the garage roof so I can fit some
> more bikes in at ground level ;-)

I'm about to move the boat out of the garage and also build a bike shed on
the back..

...d

Pete Biggs wrote:

> General rant:
> Of course, and they're much more expensive. Yes it is /nice/ to have
> pro tools but you have to be quite rich to buy a full kit of that quality
> (we're talking hundreds of pounds). I don't think it's fair to expect
> everyone who can't afford that to rely on the LBS to fix & service
> everything when they fancy DIYing.
> I don't think cyclists who service their own hubs once or thrice a
> year need cone spanners which are designed for daily professional workshop
> use.
>
> I really do find some "cheap" tools are actually ok, not a false economy,
> but I will shell out for better quality as and when needed, eg. the Tacx
> BB tool for Mirage-Centaur BBs that actually costs more than the BB!
> (Lesser ones slip and round the cups).

I have been tempted and picked up some tools cheap at places like the
York Rally and Mildenhall but I've given up after experience has shown
them generally to be a false economy. The ones that wear quickly are
not as bad as the ones that fail or bend on the first outing. Some of
them are also poor fits which can lead to damage and rounding. You can
build up a good toolkit bit by bit as you need the parts which can
spread the load of purchasing. I don't know that the tools in this kit
are bad, they just look a lot like ones I've binned in the past after
very little use and the last thing you want is a crank ruined by a poor
fit crank extractor and a well on crank.

Bit like the discussion on cheap bikes really!

Tony

On 28/3/05 4:59 pm, in article [email protected], "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been tempted and picked up some tools cheap at places like the
> York Rally and Mildenhall but I've given up after experience has shown
> them generally to be a false economy. The ones that wear quickly are
> not as bad as the ones that fail or bend on the first outing. Some of
> them are also poor fits which can lead to damage and rounding. You can
> build up a good toolkit bit by bit as you need the parts which can
> spread the load of purchasing. I don't know that the tools in this kit
> are bad, they just look a lot like ones I've binned in the past after
> very little use and the last thing you want is a crank ruined by a poor
> fit crank extractor and a well on crank.

This is my experience too. The tools unlikely to get used are:

The crank extractor (I use the shimano one, which isn't much more expensive
than the cheap ones and is waaayyy better)
The cone spanners (unless I can't find the Park/Shimano ones.)

Everything else will get a chance to prove it's worth.

> Bit like the discussion on cheap bikes really!

Absolutely.

...d

JBB wrote:

> Didn't need any clothes but the tool-kit is fine for the price as are

the
> gloves. The real find is the panniers - fantastic build quality for

the
> price. Same study construction as the EBC ones I bought 3 years ago,

look to
> be waterproof - although I'll test them, reflectors and a mesh

outside
> pocket. So good that after looking at one pair in detail went back in

the
> shop and bought another. Anyone looking for panniers for a commute is

onto a
> winner here.
>
> Julia

Yeah I got a set of the panniers, a barbag, bottle, and assorted shirts
and a jacket. Also got the wedge pack.

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> The cycling shirt is pretty nice. Very much like the one I bought last
> year, but in a nicer colour scheme.

I bought a couple, plus some for the children and SWMBO.
Compared to those in the bike shops these are superb value.

> You can't go wrong with the gloves for 2 quid.

Got a pair of them for my son.

> The toolkit looks OK. I've not used it, obviously, and if I were
> tinkering all the time I'm sure I'd want a more professional quality
> set, but for 15 quid it looks perfectly adequate for occasional
> use.

Ditto. The adjustable looks the weakest tool, but the rest seems superb value.
I bought two kits.

> I almost bought the radio - I've fancied some radio-on-the-move for
> ages, but didn't want to use earphones. However, it was a bit big and
> heavy, so I decided not to bother.

It was *enormous*.
The map case was also OTT in size and looked like something else to be avoided.

I was tempted by a couple of pairs of Coolmax socks, but also regret not
buying some bottles.

Maybe another trip is in order.

John B