or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Trouble with Henry

post #1 of 86
The net is a community just like any other community. In order for people to get along there are rules, written and unwritten, about how individuals should conduct themselves.

Imagine how long Henry would last in the typical business environment if he addressed everyone as 'dumbass'.

I doubt he'd make it though orientation, yet alone the interview.

Imagine how long Henry would be able to eat at the same restaurant or shop at the same stores if he addressed the waiters, bartenders, sales people and cashiers as 'dumbass'.

Imagine the outcome of getting pulled over by a traffic cop or Henry's rate of survival from a night drinking in a bar filled with rugby players.

My point is that no one else would or should have to tolerate Henry Chang's childish behavior of violating the standards of a polite society.

So why should we?

If Henry really has some friends that care about his well being they should talk to him and insist that he starts acting and writing in a responsible manner.

If someone can't get through to him, then it's time for a long overdue ass beating. Ass beatings are a part of a polite society when reason has failed.

The 'anonymity' of the net is no protection. It takes less than 30 minutes to know where Kurgan sleeps, rides and works.

Welcome to society. How civilized is up to you Henry.
post #2 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Henry

never_doped wrote:
> The net is a community just like any other community. In order for
> people to get along there are rules, written and unwritten, about how
> individuals should conduct themselves.
>
> Imagine how long Henry would last in the typical business environment
> if he addressed everyone as 'dumbass'.
>
> I doubt he'd make it though orientation, yet alone the interview.
>
> Imagine how long Henry would be able to eat at the same restaurant or
> shop at the same stores if he addressed the waiters, bartenders, sales
> people and cashiers as 'dumbass'.
>
> Imagine the outcome of getting pulled over by a traffic cop or Henry's
> rate of survival from a night drinking in a bar filled with rugby
> players.
>
> My point is that no one else would or should have to tolerate Henry
> Chang's childish behavior of violating the standards of a polite
> society.
>
> So why should we?

Because RBR is none of those things. If you don't like it, don't let the
door hit your ass on the way out. Please.

> If someone can't get through to him, then it's time for a long overdue
> ass beating. Ass beatings are a part of a polite society when reason
> has failed.

This is where you really earn the title "dumbass". I can only think of one
other person in the last couple of days who fits this description as well as
you. Only a dumbass would take this group seriously.
post #3 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Henry

"never_doped" <never_doped.1dkjdz@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote in
message news:never_doped.1dkjdz@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com...

> The net is a community just like any other community. In order for
> people to get along there are rules, written and unwritten, about how
> individuals should conduct themselves.
>
> Imagine how long Henry would last in the typical business environment
> if he addressed everyone as 'dumbass'.
>
> I doubt he'd make it though orientation, yet alone the interview.
>
> Imagine how long Henry would be able to eat at the same restaurant or
> shop at the same stores if he addressed the waiters, bartenders, sales
> people and cashiers as 'dumbass'.
>
> Imagine the outcome of getting pulled over by a traffic cop or Henry's
> rate of survival from a night drinking in a bar filled with rugby
> players.
>
> My point is that no one else would or should have to tolerate Henry
> Chang's childish behavior of violating the standards of a polite
> society.
>
> So why should we?
>
> If Henry really has some friends that care about his well being they
> should talk to him and insist that he starts acting and writing in a
> responsible manner.
>
> If someone can't get through to him, then it's time for a long overdue
> ass beating. Ass beatings are a part of a polite society when reason
> has failed.
>
> The 'anonymity' of the net is no protection. It takes less than 30
> minutes to know where Kurgan sleeps, rides and works.
>
> Welcome to society. How civilized is up to you Henry.
>

> --
> never_doped

Henry is a unique individual. He doesn't have to answer or play by society
rules. Since he lives in the upper crust with a trust fund, he will probably
never have to answer to anyone. The fact that he finds it funny or amusing
when someone get annoyed by his (dumbass) trademark indicates the same level
of school ground behavior you were accused of. Since he is one of a kind
here, you can choose to ignore him, which isn't hard, or if you feel you
must, the boxing card would be a good idea. All the money will go to charity
of your choice, and there are plenty of us that will host it on our servers.
You will need to hire a cameraman for the video footage.
post #4 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Henry

never_doped wrote:

(snip)

Ass beatings are a part of a polite society when reason
> has failed.

"Things that make ya go 'hmmmm'".

Steve

post #5 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:34:04 -0700, Chris wrote:
> Henry represents the median point between the decent folks and the absolute
> worst of Usenet.

Last night I heard David Attenborough attribute a great quote to someone
whose name I already forgot, and that went something like: "Mankind is
at the centre of the universe; there are about as much atoms in a man,
as there would fit men in a star."
post #6 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

>From: "Chris" chrismcreynolds@hotmail.com
>Date: 10/3/2004 5:34 PM Eastern

>Dude,
>
>Henry represents the median point between the decent folks and the absolute
>worst of Usenet. Who would you worry about him when you have these other
>severe nutcases? You obviously expect more from Henry than you do from the
>others. Where does that expectation come from?

I'm gonna stand up and defend Henry here. Given his IQ (which doesn't mean
**** unless used properly), and his work ethic regarding research I have no
problem understanding why he addresses everyone with "Dumbass". When you have
to deal with what seems to be a world filled with mental midgets you tend to
get a bit testy.
That said, this newsgroup has no shortage of people who can meet him on equal
terms. Those that can just ignore the "dumbass" as an opening ploy.
Bill C
post #7 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

On 03 Oct 2004 21:45:54 GMT, TritonRider wrote:
> Given his IQ

Is it a given? Or better yet, what is it?
post #8 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

>From: Ewoud Dronkert me@privacy.net
>Is it a given? Or better yet, what is it?

I'm not sure what it is but think 160+

http://www.mensa.org/info.php
Bill C
post #9 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

>From: John Forrest Tomlinson usenetremove@jt10000.com

>It's so tiresome.
>
>JT

Agreed, but I see it as background noise. It's just part of Henry, doesn't mean
anything except to those who let it.
Bill C
post #10 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

On 03 Oct 2004 21:45:54 GMT, tritonrider@aol.com (TritonRider) wrote:

> I'm gonna stand up and defend Henry here. Given his IQ (which doesn't mean
>**** unless used properly), and his work ethic regarding research I have no
>problem understanding why he addresses everyone with "Dumbass".

But he calls people "Dumbass" even when agreeing with them. What's the
point? That they are generally dumbasses but saying something smart
for once?

It's so tiresome.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
post #11 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> But he calls people "Dumbass" even when agreeing with them. What's the
> point? That they are generally dumbasses but saying something smart
> for once?

this probably says too much about me, but i've always taken his
"dumbass" greeting as a sign of affection.

heather
post #12 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

On 03 Oct 2004 22:10:00 GMT, TritonRider wrote:
> http://www.mensa.org/info.php

What do you mean, do you think he is a member of Mensa?
post #13 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

>From: Ewoud Dronkert me@privacy.net

>What do you mean, do you think he is a member of Mensa?

Yeah, he is. And quite active there too.
Bill C
post #14 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

>From: Steve sdsteve@NOTHEREsbcglobal.net

>And what does "quite active" mean??
>Like Fraser & Niles arguing about high level Broadway shows??

I just meant that he seems to more than hold his own in discussions there.
I've never seen the rationale in coughing up $50 a year to join Geeks R Us.
Bill C
post #15 of 86

Re: The Trouble with Usenet

On 03 Oct 2004 22:42:58 GMT, TritonRider wrote:
>> What do you mean, do you think he is a member of Mensa?

> Yeah, he is. And quite active there too.

Of course, being subscribed to rec.org.mensa and being a member of Mensa
are two different things.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling