Re: Is LA crashing Georgia's party? (Retirement announcement)

B. Lafferty

> "crit PRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So here's a third year race, that because he won in the second year is
>> doing VERY well. Could surpass Coors Classic and Tour du Pont in the
>> history of US stage races very soon.
>>
>> And the buzz is all because of one guy, who is closer to the end of the
>> run, than the start.
>>
>> It is speculated what the contents of the April 18th press conference
>> at Augusta (irony) will be. Isn't it selfish to take that opportunity
>> to announce your quiting, which will effectively kill the proposed
>> Texas Tour, California Tour, and unfortunatly, the Georgia Tour. Heck,
>> OLN will probably just do Rodeo's by 2007.
>>
>> I'm thinking if he would just race two more years, the sport would have
>> a little better of a chance to gain a small foothold here in the
>> states. I guarantee you more press in the US will cover his loss this
>> year at the TdF, than they did his first win in '99. Everyday people
>> are just STARTING to learn about that yellow shirt and all. We we're SO
>> close. Too bad. Think i'll go take up surfing with Candelario. Cycling
>> is soon to be dead in America.
>>
>> cp

> If it's soon to be dead, it's because it's a mainstream one trick pony.
> Cycling is going wherever it's going to go no matter when LANCE retires.
> It
> will just go that way a little sooner if he retires this year.
>
> As for being selfish, when you consider the volume and benefits of the
> publicity he has generated in this country is probably more than all the
> publicity for modern cycling combined (in the USA), he's earned the right
> finish whenever and however he feels like doing it.

Yesterday, I rode for about 3 1/2 hours with a French master (not at all
fat) who is with the Velo Club Roannaise (sp?). It was an experience that
reminded me somewhat of how the sport was in the US back in the 1970s, but
not quite that. It's difficult to express in words, but the attitude of
this French rider was permeated by a culture that values the bicycle an
validates the cyclist's activities. Adieu enfants en bas âge de rbr

B. Lafferty wrote:

> Yesterday, I rode for about 3 1/2 hours with a French master (not at

all
> fat) who is with the Velo Club Roannaise (sp?). It was an experience

that
> reminded me somewhat of how the sport was in the US back in the

1970s, but
> not quite that. It's difficult to express in words, but the attitude

of
> this French rider was permeated by a culture that values the bicycle

an
> validates the cyclist's activities. Adieu enfants en bas âge de rbr

Brian,

Nothin personal dude, but could you, like, stay off my threads. Thanks
dude.

criterium PROFESSIONAL