Suntour 7 spd indexed

Another group member wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour
> shifting system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

If you mean the old 7 speed system from the days of screw on gear
clusters...

Then I find that current 7-speed screw on cassettes to match Shimano pattern
work fine. I bought a Sachs 13-28 (probably old stock) recently for my
bike. My bike has the X-1 shifters which sit alongside the brake hoods on a
drop-bar (looking like giant paddles, or a bit like a bike with Kelly
Take-Off adaptors fitted).

I may have a worn genuine Suntour in the shed somewhere, if you really want
such a thing, I can look to see if its not been dumped in the last trip to
the metal recycling bin.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Hello,
I actually know the difference between Freewheels and Cassettes. I am
looking for a Cassette.
John.

--

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
"Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Another group member wrote:
>> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour
>> shifting system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

> If you mean the old 7 speed system from the days of screw on gear
> clusters...
>
> Then I find that current 7-speed screw on cassettes to match Shimano
> pattern work fine. I bought a Sachs 13-28 (probably old stock) recently
> for my bike. My bike has the X-1 shifters which sit alongside the brake
> hoods on a drop-bar (looking like giant paddles, or a bit like a bike with
> Kelly Take-Off adaptors fitted).
>

> I may have a worn genuine Suntour in the shed somewhere, if you really
> want such a thing, I can look to see if its not been dumped in the last
> trip to the metal recycling bin.
>

> - Nigel
>

> --
> Nigel Cliffe,
> Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Hello, Anything cassette wise and Suntour 7 speed. Prefer lower rather than
high gears. Also could do with a suitable Suntour indexing rear gear mech.
Regards,
John..........

--

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
news:[email protected]...

Another group member wrote:
> Hello, Anything cassette wise and Suntour 7 speed. Prefer lower rather than
> high gears. Also could do with a suitable Suntour indexing rear gear mech.
> Regards,

I have a 7-speed Suntour derailler in the bits box, but it's not
exactly mint condition. (I also have a 7-speed Suntour cassette,
maybe a freewheel, but it's still attached to an old wheel, and
I don't really want to buy a Suntour-specific tool to remove it).

It's yours for the cost of postage if you want it. I've uploaded
a photo here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jd.collins/images/suntour_mech.jpg

It's from an old MTB, and is marked "Suntour Accushift XCT". I
won't be offended if you say "no thanks"...!

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Rear mech welcome as it could be repainted to look OK. But only if rear cogs
are cassette and not Freewheel.
John.

--

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
news:[email protected]...

Another group member wrote:
> Rear mech welcome as it could be repainted to look OK. But only if rear cogs
> are cassette and not Freewheel.

Are you saying you only want the mech if my old wheel has a cassette on
it?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Hello, Yes if the cassette matches the gear. If it is a screw on freewheel
it is a different job and will not fit to the cassette rear wheel I have.
Sorry.
John.

--

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1170117
"Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Another group member wrote:
>> Rear mech welcome as it could be repainted to look OK. But only if rear
>> cogs are cassette and not Freewheel.

> Are you saying you only want the mech if my old wheel has a cassette on
> it?
>

> --
> jc
>
> Remove the -not from email

"Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour shifting
> system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

Sounds like a shimano 7sp cassette would do you. Or is it that you've got a
suntour hub?

cheers,
clive

Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index correctly unless I
have a Suntour mech and I am asuming a Suntour Casstte?
John

--

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour shifting
>> system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

> Sounds like a shimano 7sp cassette would do you. Or is it that you've got
> suntour hub?
>
> cheers,
> clive

"Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote:

> Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index
> correctly unless I have a Suntour mech and I am asuming
> a Suntour Casstte?

A Suntour cassette (from the Accushift era) won't fit on your Shimano hub -
the spline pattern is different, and the thread of the locking sprocket
doesn't match Shimano's Uniglide thread.

There are some details on Suntour cassette spacing here:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/stcass.html

It looks as though the indexing should be reasonable if you use a Shimano
cassette with Suntour mech and shifters - or find some Shimano shifters to
go with the Shimano mech.

James Thomson

"Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >> Hello, I am trying to locate a 7 speed Cassette to suit Suntour

shifting
> >> system (Indexed). Can anyone help?

> > Sounds like a shimano 7sp cassette would do you. Or is it that you've

got
> > suntour hub?

> Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index correctly unless I
> have a Suntour mech and I am asuming a Suntour Casstte?

Suntour spacing is the same as or close enough to shimano spacing, so a
shimano cassette will do. Which is fortunate as that's a wearing part, and
you can still get them.
(if you want to be closer, you could probably use 3 spacers from an 8 speed
cassette in the relevant position, but I don't know what position that is
:) )

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

(did suntour cassettes have the same spline pattern as shimano?)

cheers,
clive

James, Good to hear from you. I hope that you are well, and Paris is still
exciting!
The bike in question is not mine-I am the repairer. It has Suntour bar end
shifters which want to be kept. The rear Shimano wheel without a Cassette is
where the problem lies. The rear gear mech is Shimano too. If I were to fit
a Shimano cassette are you thinking that the indexing would be satisfactory?
All the best,
John.

--

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote:
>
>> Its a Shimano hub with a Shimano mech but it wont index
>> correctly unless I have a Suntour mech and I am asuming
>> a Suntour Casstte?

> A Suntour cassette (from the Accushift era) won't fit on your Shimano
> hub -
> the spline pattern is different, and the thread of the locking sprocket
> doesn't match Shimano's Uniglide thread.
>
> There are some details on Suntour cassette spacing here:
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/stcass.html
>
> It looks as though the indexing should be reasonable if you use a Shimano
> cassette with Suntour mech and shifters - or find some Shimano shifters to
> go with the Shimano mech.
>
> James Thomson

"Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote:

> James, Good to hear from you. I hope that you are well, and
> Paris is still exciting!

En crêpe de Chine, comme un chagrin d'asphalte!

> The bike in question is not mine-I am the repairer. It has Suntour
> bar end shifters which want to be kept. The rear Shimano wheel
> without a Cassette is where the problem lies. The rear gear
> mech is Shimano too. If I were to fit a Shimano cassette are you
> thinking that the indexing would be satisfactory?

The simple answer is that I don't know - sorry. I do know that 8-speed
Suntour levers work well with Shimano derailleurs, but I don't know what
might have changed between 7 and 8.

I assume the levers have a friction option.

James Thomson

"Another group member" <[email protected].> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The bike in question is not mine-I am the repairer. It has Suntour bar end
> shifters which want to be kept. The rear Shimano wheel without a Cassette

is
> where the problem lies. The rear gear mech is Shimano too. If I were to

fit
> a Shimano cassette are you thinking that the indexing would be

satisfactory?

Suck it and see. If it's not, then you need to match the shifter to the
mech, ie either a shimano shifter or a suntour mech. Either way, the shimano
cassette will be fine, so there's nothing to be lost by just trying that
first.

(or you _could_ work out what distances the suntour shifter moves the
shimano mech between gears, and fettle a set of custom spacers to suit - but
I wouldn't bother!)

cheers,
clive