or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Repost: Photographing Hills - difficult?

post #1 of 5
[Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]

Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
will give right perspective.)

The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
just a promo picture.

-B

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn1.jpg
Durn if it looks like a little driveway...

---------

Here's a longshot:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn2.jpg

---------

Here's the instructions for riding:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn3.jpg
*(see how tiny that car is? It's a Hyoooge car). ;->
cautiondialup, larger file.)

Yep, I test-rode that yesterday...but only from there, up to where it
flattens out, around the corner (250yds?).

Here's an _actual_ picture of a hill.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...d=men/CRW_4263

-B
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Cartersmtn4.jpg
I'm off-camera thinking of having a nosebleed. (j/k)
cautiondialup, both larger files.)
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~slj/Monticello1.jpg
Suitable for wallp? Run out from bike trail, wooden bridge.
post #2 of 5

Re: Repost: Photographing Hills - difficult?

Badger South <Badger@South.com> wrote in message news:<63krn0915qo5sauqqnmua6cbpd6pvotg4f@4ax.com>...
> [Corrected: posting in right 'rides' group.]
>
> Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
> where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
> orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
> will give right perspective.)
>
> The rez on these is ok, but a little grainy, supposedly the better
> disposables are coming out with a new Kodak Hi-Rez. Wasn't in the store,
> just a promo picture.
>
> -B

Hey B,

Interesting. One thing that helps is to add stuff that shows scale
and relation to horizontal planes. Don't have any photos handy here
at work that show both real well, but here is one that has a lot for
scale and since it is on a switchback it does give some hint of
deviation from level:
http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/switchback.jpg . It is always
tricky to show incline when it is just the road in the pic.

- rick
post #3 of 5

A few steep-grade pix

> Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
> where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
> orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
> will give right perspective.)

It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-

www.ChainReaction.com/steeppix.htm

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
post #4 of 5

Re: A few steep-grade pix

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:08:26 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>> Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
>> where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
>> orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
>> will give right perspective.)

>It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
>you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
>well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-
>
>www.ChainReaction.com/steeppix.htm
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thx Mike. It's funny how the 'steep' changes when you're riding it, and
many have commented like 'that was the "Wall", pfft, nothing', at times in
group rides and soforth.

I do know that two weeks ago when I came out at that crossing it looked
like a 'wall', b/c the crossover is level, and it catches the hill in the
middle, and this section follows disappearing into the trees.

Not so much a 'wall' now, since I've ridden a 9-10-12% grade for a short
section...but only about 100-200 yds, so far, with no real run up...

I'm working on getting a 'steep pitch' photo maybe this weekend that might
bring a smile or two...we'll see.

-B
post #5 of 5

Re: A few steep-grade pix

From the Arlington Circle to the top on Marin Street (only .75 miles in a
straight line) here in Berkeley, the average grade is 18%, including flat
spots where streets cross. A number of sections near the top hit 33% (I
measured it with a six foot level and measure).

I've got a funny picture of a moving van high-centered at the top. Large
trucks are prohibited and they had a jolly time getting that one loose, but
the cops were not amused.
--
Steve Juniper
Berkeley, CA

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism, since it is the merger
of state and corporate power."
--
Benito Mussolini

"Chuck Anderson" <websiteaddress@seemy.sig> wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>>Got a couple snaps of a road that looks to me, on the bike like a 'wall',
>>where the B-Monticello Bike/ped trail crosses the ride up to the apple
>>orchard. (Note: One reply suggested tilting camera parallel to flat, which
>>will give right perspective.)
>>

>It *is* tough getting it to look as steep as it really is (or at least how
>you *remember* it was!). I just tossed a few photos onto a page to see who
>well (or poorly) I've managed to capture Sonora Pass-

Here's my contribution. I had been wanting to get a good picture of this
steep grade, so I finally took my camera with me in September (a bulky
Olympus E-10 - ugh! What a great camera, though. I hope to get a good
compact from "Santa" this year, so I can take more pictures more often.)

The stretch in the picture is .2 miles of 18% - 19% grade. It is on a
relatively short ride near my house - Flagstaff Mountain Road to the
Green Mountain Trail head - 16.5 miles up and back - a 2400 foot climb.
I've done this ride many, many times.

I didn't get a "dramatic" picture on the way up (that *is* hard), but I
think I captured a bit of what it's like on the descent. I sit upright
and "soar" - feeling like I'm in a glider, looking for the runway on the
flats down below. I love it every time - a big wind in my face grin. The
"final approach."

Here's a horizontal:
http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/f...proach-hsm.php
and a vertical: http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/f...proach-vsm.php

(And for bigger screens -
http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-h.php
- http://www.cycletourist.com/photos/finalapproach-v.php)

(Note the RV at the bottom of the hill. The driver had made the mistake
of getting that far and then had to park it. I'm not sure how they got
it back down. That's the second half of a very tight, very steep, double
hairpin.)

Then there is shooting off to the side, like the second maniacal picture
here:
http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Colorado.html (I don't recall the
grade, but it was not "extreme." A touring load really gets you rolling
on those descents.)

Here's one from Austria (the second photo - scroll down):
http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/A...fore_Rain.html
It seems that it may be easier to portray the grade when looking down
the hill (?), and also having a vehicle on the road for perspective and
scale.

And, not to start a pissing match - not my intention at all. But I have
to wonder if grades aren't figured differently at times. I see the sign
in your picture, Mike, that says 26% grade and I can't imagine even
pedaling on that. I've ridden the 19% grade (above) and on a supposed
22% grade in Austria, and that seemed about my limit. How much harder
would a 26% grade be? What does the physical difference between riding a
20% grade or a 26% grade actually feel like. Like ..... once the grade
hits 20%, there's no telling the difference between that and 26%? Is it
the same as the difference between 0% and 6%?

Just pondering.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO