Had a swell time doing cooking demos

Bob (this one)

Guest
Did some things at the food show that I hadn't seen or done before.

1) I coarsely chopped and poached a whole case of fresh oyster mushrooms
(don't a$k) in heavy cream with a splash of dark beer for a tiny edge of
sharpness. As the mushrooms surrendered their juices, I added some
marinated and rehydrated (in a rich Barolo) sundried tomatoes with
their oil and herbs, and the wine to the pan. Added a little jellied
chicken stock. Reduced it all to a glaze and added some aged, rock-hard
shreds of Parmesan. Tossed it with some rotini that had been cooked in
chicken stock along with broccoli and cauliflower. Drained (and reserved
the stock) the pasta and veggies, and tossed it all together.

2) The reserved chicken stock became a deep reduction that coated a
spoon. Brushed it on skinless, boneless, flattened chicken thighs I'd
cut into 1-inch square pieces and seared in a very hot skillet. The
caramelized brown bits that stuck to the pan came off in the white wine
and balsamic vinegar deglazing (which was also reduced a good bit, not
quite to a syrup). Tossed spaghetti rigate (grooved spaghetti - new
product) with the glaze and chicken pieces. Grated asiago cheese on top
and shipped. The remaining glaze tricked around the pasta as a very,
very rich garnish.

3) Mixed yogurt and heavy cream 50-50 and used it to cook a lot of
little, shucked clams. Threw in some minced garlic, finely chopped straw
mushrooms, shreds of roasted red and yellow peppers, caperberries (left
the stems on for appearance), and chopped, dried anchos. The ingredients
thinned the poaching liquid quite a bit, so I reduced it figuring it
would also give the flavors a better chance to blend. Splash of dry
white wine and a squeeze of lemon to finish. Tossed with linguine.
Garnished with finely chopped parsley that I deep fried for 5 seconds.

4) Did a twist on lasagna with queso blanco and some surprising
ingredients. Sliced big blocks of it into pieces as wide as, but
slightly thicker than, lasagna sheets. Cooked them on a griddle to brown
both sides. Since the cheese doesn't melt when cooked, I used the cooked
cheese sheets as I would have the lasagna pasta. Layered the pan with
sheets of the cooked cheese. Put down a layer of chopped dried mango
slices with orzo mixed in, cheese, chopped fresh pineapple (squeezed a
lot of juice out of it first) mixed with a little ricotta cheese and
farfalle, more cheese sheets, chopped strawberries and tubettini pasta
over which I'd drizzled melted chocolate and finally a woven top of
cooked queso blanco strips I'd dredged in vanilla sugar. Dribbled some
port wine over top and baked it for a strange by luscious dessert. The
dried mango soaked up a lot of juice from everything else. Served warm
with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of the port.

I lost 4 pounds because I was so busy cooking that I didn't eat.
Perspired a bit, too. Wonderful show. Lots and lots of new and
interesting stuff. Also much ****, but such is life.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Did some things at the food show that I hadn't seen or done before.

Recipes snipped

> I lost 4 pounds because I was so busy cooking that I didn't eat.
> Perspired a bit, too. Wonderful show. Lots and lots of new and
> interesting stuff. Also much ****, but such is life.
>
> Pastorio

It all sounds delicious, particularly the mushroom pasta.
How many people do you estimate you fed?

gloria p

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Did some things at the food show that I hadn't seen or done before.

OK, Bob, I'm not exactly the brightest bulb on the tree, but after all
these years I have come to the conclusion that you're probably an
actual chef. The thought of pursuing that line of work actually
crossed my mind a number of years ago - then it occurred to me that it
would be kind of like hoping to be a rich, big-time football player.
Pretty much a one-in-a-trillion chance of going beyond mere survival.
And the work must be a WHOLE lot harder than one would think at first
glance.

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

Snipped a lot of good stuff that I really hated to snip . . .
This was, I have to tell you, quite an entertaining reply. That
80-hour hole in your week must be murder (not!). Sounds like you can
at least say you've had an "interesting" life, eh? And here I was all
excited because I finally got a Santuko-style knife. Made me feel
like Jacques Peppin on the garlic for a few seconds <G>.

AlleyGator wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Snipped a lot of good stuff that I really hated to snip . . .
> This was, I have to tell you, quite an entertaining reply. That
> 80-hour hole in your week must be murder (not!). Sounds like you can
> at least say you've had an "interesting" life, eh?

This is really my fourth "life." Curly-haired folk singer in the late
50's and early 60's who sometimes wasn't stoned; sang with a lot of
Who's Who folks who kept at it and a bunch more like me who were just
playing. Started as a copywriter (degree in English) in the early 60's
and ran up the corporate tree to international marketing management (and
went to culinary school in Europe to amuse myself). Held a few
miscellaneous jobs to make ends meet while trying to figure out what I
want to be when I grow up. Foodservice 70's through 01. And whatever it
is I'm about nowadays. 4 kids along the way with 3 wives of my own and
several others - between wives - that merely borrowed me for their
entertainment. Been all over the world on expense accounts.

It appears that the whole "be something when I grow up" is dreaming the
impossible dream. But in the meantime, I've stood in front of the Mona
Lisa, St. Paul's cathedral, the La Brea tar pits, La Scala, Texas
Schoolbook Depository, Mt. Fuji, the Sidney opera house, the twin towers
(could see them going up from my office near Wall Street), the Kremlin,
the Berlin wall, Mt. Kilimanjaro... A lot of it was luck, but some was
certainly drive. But, yes, a lotta, lotta good luck. And a huge number
of good people along the way

> And here I was all
> excited because I finally got a Santuko-style knife. Made me feel
> like Jacques Pepin on the garlic for a few seconds <G>.

I think that's great. Next, it'll be those perfect onion cuts. Then the
garnish cuts for the sheer hell of it. Buy a book on garnishing with
lots of pictures. Play with that stuff. It's really satisfying to drop a
swan on a tray of veggies for no good reason and watch everyone smile
about it. Or to do that Japanese "whittle" cut with long strips of some
veggie. Radish mice. The kitchen is the source of physical and mental
health. A smile is good for both.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) wrote:
> AlleyGator wrote:
>
>> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Snipped a lot of good stuff that I really hated to snip . . .
>> This was, I have to tell you, quite an entertaining reply. That
>> 80-hour hole in your week must be murder (not!). Sounds like you can
>> at least say you've had an "interesting" life, eh?

> This is really my fourth "life." Curly-haired folk singer in the late
> 50's and early 60's who sometimes wasn't stoned; sang with a lot of
> Who's Who folks who kept at it and a bunch more like me who were just
> playing. Started as a copywriter (degree in English) in the early 60's
> and ran up the corporate tree to international marketing management
> (and went to culinary school in Europe to amuse myself). Held a few
> miscellaneous jobs to make ends meet while trying to figure out what I
> want to be when I grow up. Foodservice 70's through 01. And whatever
> it is I'm about nowadays. 4 kids along the way with 3 wives of my own
> and several others - between wives - that merely borrowed me for their
> entertainment. Been all over the world on expense accounts.
>
> It appears that the whole "be something when I grow up" is dreaming
> the impossible dream. But in the meantime, I've stood in front of the
> Mona Lisa, St. Paul's cathedral, the La Brea tar pits, La Scala, Texas
> Schoolbook Depository, Mt. Fuji, the Sidney opera house, the twin
> towers (could see them going up from my office near Wall Street), the
> Kremlin, the Berlin wall, Mt. Kilimanjaro... A lot of it was luck,
> but some was certainly drive. But, yes, a lotta, lotta good luck. And
> a huge number of good people along the way
>
>> And here I was all
>> excited because I finally got a Santuko-style knife. Made me feel
>> like Jacques Pepin on the garlic for a few seconds <G>.

> I think that's great. Next, it'll be those perfect onion cuts. Then
> the garnish cuts for the sheer hell of it. Buy a book on garnishing
> with lots of pictures. Play with that stuff. It's really satisfying
> to drop a swan on a tray of veggies for no good reason and watch
> everyone smile about it. Or to do that Japanese "whittle" cut with
> long strips of some veggie. Radish mice. The kitchen is the source of
> physical and mental health. A smile is good for both.
>
> Pastorio

(Not snipping a bunch of stuff BECAUSE it's all good..)

Wow, Bob, you sound like a person I would love to meet someday. I always
thought you gave some really good answers to food questions and now I know
why. Thanks for all your help! Good luck at the market.

kili

In article <[email protected]>, "Bob (this one)"
<[email protected]> wrote:
(snip him and Gator)
> It appears that the whole "be something when I grow up" is dreaming the
> impossible dream. But in the meantime, I've stood in front of the Mona
> Lisa,

Oh, B F D ! Were YOU wearing a Pickle Hat when you stood in front of
her? No? I didn't think so. Lookee here: <http://tinyurl.com/apz74>
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh, B F D ! Were YOU wearing a Pickle Hat when you stood in front of
>her? No? I didn't think so. Lookee here: <http://tinyurl.com/apz74>
>--
>-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.

That's just THIS side of bizzare, Barb.

Joe wrote:

> Truly, you're a legend in your own mind

Apparently I have one. The difference between us.

You may go now.

Pastorio

AlleyGator wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oh, B F D ! Were YOU wearing a Pickle Hat when you stood in front of
>>her? No? I didn't think so. Lookee here: <http://tinyurl.com/apz74>
>>--
>>-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.

> That's just THIS side of bizzare, Barb.

Um, this is *Barb* we're talking about, right?

Don't look over at her, she'll know we're talking about her. But, c'mon.
It's, um, Barb we're talking about.

I mean, jeez...

Pastorio

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Um, this is *Barb* we're talking about, right?
>
>Don't look over at her, she'll know we're talking about her. But, c'mon.
>It's, um, Barb we're talking about.
>
>I mean, jeez...
>
>Pastorio

I know. I like Barb. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment, huh? <G>

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>
>> Truly, you're a legend in your own mind

>Apparently I have one. The difference between us.
>
>You may go now.
>
>Pastorio

I know it's a free world, and Usenet has no membership requirements.
But are you as constantly amazed as I am that someone completely
unheard of will pop into a group for 5 seconds and post some amazingly
rude nonsense?

kilikini wrote:

> Wow, Bob, you sound like a person I would love to meet someday.

Likewise.

> I always
> thought you gave some really good answers to food questions and now I know
> why.

My boyish good looks coupled with my near-perfect ability to suffer the
fools?

> Thanks for all your help! Good luck at the market.

Thanks. I just got off the phone with my newest inspector from the
Virginia Department of Agriculture, with whom I'm having a confab on
Tuesday. Gotta break in another one...

Pastorio

<[email protected]> wrote:

> AlleyGator wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Oh, B F D ! Were YOU wearing a Pickle Hat when you stood in front of
> >>her? No? I didn't think so. Lookee here: <http://tinyurl.com/apz74>
> >>--
> >>-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.

> > That's just THIS side of bizzare, Barb.

> Um, this is *Barb* we're talking about, right?
>
> Don't look over at her, she'll know we're talking about her. But, c'mon.
> It's, um, Barb we're talking about.

Hey, hey, hey! Watchyerse'f. Did you LOOK at the Pickle Hat pictures?
I particularly like the Napoleon and Napoleon-Like one. :) Well, that
and Dubya in front of Mount Rushmore.

--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Bob (this one)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>AlleyGator wrote:

>>>That's just THIS side of bizzare, Barb.

>>Um, this is *Barb* we're talking about, right?
>>
>>Don't look over at her, she'll know we're talking about her. But, c'mon.
>>It's, um, Barb we're talking about.

> Hey, hey, hey! Watchyerse'f. Did you LOOK at the Pickle Hat pictures?

I did. Yesiree, I sure did. And that tea that splurted out of my nose
had nothing to do with the pictures. I'm being totally honest here.

> I particularly like the Napoleon and Napoleon-Like one. :)

Well, he was the emperor of France, so it's fitting. And the Pickle Hat
(capital PEE, capital AITCH) seemed to be fitting very tightly. Enough
to make your brain be oxygen deprived...

It's not me saying that, I got hundreds of emails from lurkers who
wanted me to say that to you. For your own good.

> Well, that and Dubya in front of Mount Rushmore.

Where he belongs.

Pastorio

<[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Um, this is *Barb* we're talking about, right?
> >>
> >>Don't look over at her, she'll know we're talking about her. But,
> >>c'mon. It's, um, Barb we're talking about.

> > Hey, hey, hey! Watchyerse'f. Did you LOOK at the Pickle Hat
> > pictures?

> I did. Yesiree, I sure did. And that tea that splurted out of my nose
> had nothing to do with the pictures. I'm being totally honest here.

> > I particularly like the Napoleon and Napoleon-Like one. :)

> Well, he was the emperor of France, so it's fitting. And the Pickle Hat
> (capital PEE, capital AITCH) seemed to be fitting very tightly. Enough
> to make your brain be oxygen deprived...

Well, if it doesn't fit tight, it'll fall off. It's a dicey fit at
best, even though the hats are adjustable. :p

> It's not me saying that, I got hundreds of emails from lurkers who
> wanted me to say that to you. For your own good.

Well, as long as it's for my own good.
You got hundreds of emails, eh? Feh! I got one from someone surprised
that I'm not offended by your sass. LOL!! Actually, the phrase was,
"I'm surprised you let him live." <(80) I explained how far back
we go. (Did you ever tell the Third Missus P about that? Before you
went to confession and all before the ceremony?)

> > Well, that and Dubya in front of Mount Rushmore.

> Where he belongs.

More like under it, you ask me.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Foodservice 70's through 01. And whatever it is I'm about nowadays. 4
> kids along the way with 3 wives of my own and several others -
> between wives - that merely borrowed me for their entertainment.

I read the reviews. They weren't so hot. Something about short and
fast.

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> sheets as I would have the lasagna pasta. Layered the pan with sheets of
> the cooked cheese. Put down a layer of chopped dried mango slices with
> orzo mixed in, cheese, chopped fresh pineapple (squeezed a lot of juice
> out of it first) mixed with a little ricotta cheese and farfalle, more
> cheese sheets, chopped strawberries and tubettini pasta over which I'd
> drizzled melted chocolate and finally a woven top of cooked queso blanco
> strips I'd dredged in vanilla sugar. Dribbled some port wine over top and
> baked it for a strange by luscious dessert. The dried mango soaked up a
> lot of juice from everything else. Served warm with vanilla ice cream and
> a sprinkle of the port.
>
> I lost 4 pounds because I was so busy cooking that I didn't eat. Perspired
> a bit, too. Wonderful show. Lots and lots of new and interesting stuff.

=============

Bob... Duuuddddeeee... WOW!! Those dishes sound DIVINE!!!! Let me know if
you ever ( and I do mean EVER) need a traveling taste tester!!!

Cyndi AbigbigBIGfan

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Bob (this one)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Foodservice 70's through 01. And whatever it is I'm about nowadays. 4
>>kids along the way with 3 wives of my own and several others -
>>between wives - that merely borrowed me for their entertainment.

> I read the reviews. They weren't so hot. Something about short and
> fast.

Damn internet...

Pastorio