or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

post #1 of 26
Here I am again - Ms. Curious. Anyway know a way to find out how many
calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
stroller - say pushing 60 lbs? Just curious - recently been trying to get
more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers - not
easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an 11
min mile. Thanks, Linda
post #2 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

"Linda and Pete" <abbeyainsley@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Here I am again - Ms. Curious.

No. You're Ms Blindingly-Dull, of Triviasville, New Boredom.

> Anyway know a way to find out how many
> calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
> stroller - say pushing 60 lbs?

Possibly, but who really cares? Go read something about Yankee foreign
policy. Then maybe you buffoons can elect someone of stature and
responsibility to guide your great land.

> Just curious - recently been trying to get
> more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers -

not
> easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an 11
> min mile. Thanks, Linda

You have a partner, remember? Pete is his name. Try saying these words
whilst Pete is in the same room and awake;

"Dear, I'm just poping out for a run. Would you watch the twins while I'm
out? Thanks."
post #3 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

I know I'm wasting my time - but, it's none of your business to reply to me
if you are just going to be a total ass.

And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not true.
I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

You are probably such a troll you can't get a partner let alone have
children. Go back into your cave. And, if I am so boring, why are you
reading my messages?

"np426z" <np426z@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> "Linda and Pete" <abbeyainsley@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> > Here I am again - Ms. Curious.

> No. You're Ms Blindingly-Dull, of Triviasville, New Boredom.
>
> > Anyway know a way to find out how many
> > calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
> > stroller - say pushing 60 lbs?

> Possibly, but who really cares? Go read something about Yankee foreign
> policy. Then maybe you buffoons can elect someone of stature and
> responsibility to guide your great land.
>
> > Just curious - recently been trying to get
> > more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers -

> not
> > easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an

11
> > min mile. Thanks, Linda

> You have a partner, remember? Pete is his name. Try saying these words
> whilst Pete is in the same room and awake;
>
> "Dear, I'm just poping out for a run. Would you watch the twins while

I'm
> out? Thanks."

post #4 of 26

> I know I'm wasting my time

Yes...

> but, it's none of your business to reply to me

You post on a running forum, you get a runners response.

> if you are just going to be a total ass.

I can't help it. They won't let me stay in the troll club if I'm
reasonable.

> And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not

true.
> I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
> jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

Pardon? How is watching three kids harder than watching two?

> You are probably such a troll you can't get a partner

I don't want to 'get' a partner, I want to sweep a woman off her feet...

> let alone have children.

You *know* about my problem? Damn. The clinic promised me
confidentiality.

Will you come with me? I need a partner.

> And, if I am so boring, why are you reading my messages?

You're far from boring. You make me smile. Thank you :-)
post #5 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:56:29 +0000 (UTC), "np426z"
<np426z@btinternet.com> wrote:

>"Linda and Pete" <abbeyainsley@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> I know I'm wasting my time

>Yes...
>
>> but, it's none of your business to reply to me

>You post on a running forum, you get a runners response.
>
>> if you are just going to be a total ass.

>I can't help it. They won't let me stay in the troll club if I'm
>reasonable.
>
>> And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not

>true.
>> I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
>> jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

>Pardon? How is watching three kids harder than watching two?

I believe the correct question wouild have been, "How can watching
three children be harder than watching one," as it was her intention
to take two jogging with her.

And the answer: Three children can run off in three different
directions. Two children in two. I've been assured by someone who
knows from experience, however, that 7 children do not run off in 7
different directions -- they tend to clump up in 2's and 3's when they
make their breaks for freedom.

I have three boys -- 10, 9 and 6, and knew I was in trouble when the
oldest said to the middle one, 'No. You run that way, I'll run this
way.' The youngest was small enough I was still carrying him around.

I have a couple of calculators that suggest how many calories I burn
doing various activities. The only thing that came up with 'stroller'
involved the walking (slowly) kind.

If you need something to satisfy the anal-retentive need to to write
something in a log (and I say this as a person who records everything
he eats and does in a PDA -- i.e., as a non-troll) add 10 pounds to
your body weight and base your calculations on that. (Or, as you push
the stroller, when you hear yourself think, "I'll bet this is what
running would feel like if I weighed X pounds," use that.) You
probably won't be too far off.

D. Wells

dhw@987vanner987.com
Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.
post #6 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
calories.

Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
affect calorie-reduction.

Hope this helps.

I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
while running.

"Linda and Pete" <abbeyainsley@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<MOmdnTJvyMjDMJDcRVn-iA@comcast.com>...
> Here I am again - Ms. Curious. Anyway know a way to find out how many
> calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
> stroller - say pushing 60 lbs? Just curious - recently been trying to get
> more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers - not
> easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an 11
> min mile. Thanks, Linda
post #7 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

>I know I'm wasting my time - but, it's none of your business to reply to me
>if you are just going to be a total ass.

Oh but he's soooooooooo very good at it...

>And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not true.
>I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
>jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

He knows that (about him being an idiot).

>You are probably such a troll you can't get a partner let alone have
>children.

Eunichs do have a brderline sex life.

You traced him back to Scotland eh?

>And, if I am so boring, why are you
>reading my messages?

Because he's an angry little mousie since his best friend jumped off of a tall
building and went <SPLAT> because of somethging Roger did. It really is too sad
to relate to this NG.
post #8 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

>You make me smile. Thank you :-)

Yes, if he pisses someone off, it's just made his day.
post #9 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

>If you need something to satisfy the anal-retentive

Well he does need something for his anus, but I think it's electric, and goes
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzz.
post #10 of 26

"John B." <jbrink505@aol.com> wrote in message
> Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
> exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
> temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
> percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
> northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
> pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
> under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
> 1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
> temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
> relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
> each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
> an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
> calories.
>
> Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
> changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
> argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
> 2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
> negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
> calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
> up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
> affect calorie-reduction.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
> the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
> vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
> the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
> while running.

These are growing children, we need a factor to adjust for the increasing
weight of the stroller. Also will calorie expenditure be the same on gravel
trails as on concrete? What about elevation?
post #11 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

I"m anal-retentive as well and do have to record everything in my PDA - I
thought the same thing (about adding weight), but do you really think it's
only like adding 10 lbs? I swear, feel like a lot more - but, what you say
makes perfect sense. Thanks, Linda

As for the kids, they are 3 under 3 - so far, not reaching the "you run
there, I run here part - thank God". Well, only 2 are walking.

"DHW" <dhw@987vanner987.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:56:29 +0000 (UTC), "np426z"
> <np426z@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >"Linda and Pete" <abbeyainsley@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> I know I'm wasting my time

> >Yes...
> >
> >> but, it's none of your business to reply to me

> >You post on a running forum, you get a runners response.
> >
> >> if you are just going to be a total ass.

> >I can't help it. They won't let me stay in the troll club if I'm
> >reasonable.
> >
> >> And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not

> >true.
> >> I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
> >> jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

> >Pardon? How is watching three kids harder than watching two?
> >

> I believe the correct question wouild have been, "How can watching
> three children be harder than watching one," as it was her intention
> to take two jogging with her.
>
> And the answer: Three children can run off in three different
> directions. Two children in two. I've been assured by someone who
> knows from experience, however, that 7 children do not run off in 7
> different directions -- they tend to clump up in 2's and 3's when they
> make their breaks for freedom.
>
> I have three boys -- 10, 9 and 6, and knew I was in trouble when the
> oldest said to the middle one, 'No. You run that way, I'll run this
> way.' The youngest was small enough I was still carrying him around.
>
> I have a couple of calculators that suggest how many calories I burn
> doing various activities. The only thing that came up with 'stroller'
> involved the walking (slowly) kind.
>
> If you need something to satisfy the anal-retentive need to to write
> something in a log (and I say this as a person who records everything
> he eats and does in a PDA -- i.e., as a non-troll) add 10 pounds to
> your body weight and base your calculations on that. (Or, as you push
> the stroller, when you hear yourself think, "I'll bet this is what
> running would feel like if I weighed X pounds," use that.) You
> probably won't be too far off.
>

> D. Wells
>
> dhw@987vanner987.com
> Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
> (without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.
post #12 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where the
heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of them -
I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.

""El Paisano"" <matthewvenhaus@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "John B." <jbrink505@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
> > exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
> > temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
> > percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
> > northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
> > pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
> > under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
> > 1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
> > temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
> > relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
> > each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
> > an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
> > calories.
> >
> > Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
> > changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
> > argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
> > 2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
> > negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
> > calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
> > up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
> > affect calorie-reduction.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> > I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
> > the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
> > vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
> > the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
> > while running.
> >

> These are growing children, we need a factor to adjust for the increasing
> weight of the stroller. Also will calorie expenditure be the same on

gravel
> trails as on concrete? What about elevation?

post #13 of 26

On 2004-08-03, Linda and Pete <abbeyainsley@comcast.net> wrote:
> I"m anal-retentive as well and do have to record everything in my PDA - I
> thought the same thing (about adding weight), but do you really think it's
> only like adding 10 lbs? I swear, feel like a lot more - but, what you say
> makes perfect sense. Thanks, Linda

Use a heart rate monitor, and find out your average rate. See how fast you can
run the same course at the same heart rate without the stroller. Rescale the
calorie burn by the ratio of the two times.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

> Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where

the
> heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of

them -
> I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.

Linda, I'm sure that most of us - even Wobbot - have a life of sorts. It
may, however, differ immensely from your own. It's this diversity, in
part, that makes the world a jolly interesting place in which to spend some
time between birth and death.

You must try to display tolerance towards those who tread a different path
to your own, and learn to distinguish between those who tease and those who
act with malicious intent.

As for finding the time to post - our PCs sit in the corner being hammered
by the kids playing "Civilisation" or some flight-sim. I kick them off
between other things I'm doing and post silly messages here. Hardly a
lifestyle.

Coolrunning.com may suit you but it's not my style. Too pedestrian. To
be sure, rec.running is rough-and-ready, but it's always had a high quotient
of fairly useful posters. Still, you pays your money...
post #15 of 26

Re: Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

>You must try to display tolerance towards those who tread a different path
>to your own

Geez, this from Roger????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home