Jonathan Bond <Jonathan.Bond@TAKEMEOUTTAHEREtufts.edu> wrote in message
news:<3E8A9593.5000103@TAKEMEOUTTAHEREtufts.edu>...
> Slash wrote:

> >>Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
> >>That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
> >>surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.
> >

> > Flaming mountain bikers - imagine the environmental impact!
> >
> > -Slash
> > --
> > "Ebert Victorious"
> >
> > - The Onion
>
> Flaming mountain bikers? I thought it was usually the roadies who were flaming...
>
> Jon Bond yeah, so I have a road bike, what of it? Technically its not mine

Ah! Grinding someone else's seat, eh?

As for paint thinner, personally, I prefer mastic for huffing. Paint a thick glob across your lower
lip and you've got hours of watching the world melt.

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2000-03-07/index.html

/s oofah!
post #17 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

Isopropyl Alcohol is a lot less toxic to you skin and lungs than things like acetone, MEK, &
thinners. Those are some serious carcinogenic organic solvents and should be used with great care
(even though they're generally not). I use diluted citric degreaser to get the grime off, then rinse
in alcohol to get rid of any residue.

-Bruce-

"Andrew" <sks@sgfds.com> wrote in message news:Xdsia.38375$HR6.35166@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
depot
> asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
second
> guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
came
> back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
solvent
> was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
> dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys
post #18 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Simon" <news@tau-designs.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
> news:2HCia.12086$Ti5.8196@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... <snip>
>
> | Fsck Knows. But I do know that if I could buy it from somewhere in a
> gallon
> | drum rather than posey little overpriced bottles with "Finish Line" on
> them,
> | I'd be very happy. IIRC, the Finish Line stuff has a Castrol logo on it somewheere. Or was that
> | their fork oil. My brainium fails me sometimes.
> |
> | Andy Chequer
>
> http://www.jdcycles.co.uk/products.p...=41&prodid=289
>
> There you go
>
> Simon|

Anything that achieves "penetration into all areas" has got to be worth the dosh.

40 quid? Ouch. Still, a bucket of that in a parts washer would make your workshop smell nice.

Andy Chequer
post #19 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Andrew" <sks@sgfds.com> wrote in message news:<Xdsia.38375$HR6.35166@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...
> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
> solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
> paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
> know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
> which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
> thanks guys

I use mineral spirits thinner, available at Kmart for $3. Much more benign than gasoline (especially
if you have to stick your hand in it) and cheaper than other paint thinners.

Tom
post #20 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message

> You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner

<cut>

Possibly, but you can very easily burn yourself severely as any source of ignition can quickly
ignite fumes and run back to the main container. Scenarios where you spill petrol on you then
accidentally ignite it from a spark/heater/cigarette are best avoided. Using petrol as a cleaning
solvent is an accident waiting to happen.

A freind I once knew lost his father through burns caused by carelessness with petrol.

It is certainly not safe for routine use in an uncontrolled environment.

Parrafin (Kerosene) is safer. Paint thinner ("white spirit") is even better from a fire point of
view. Use in a well ventilated space.
post #21 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

Stewart Fleming <stewart.fleming@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
>

> > so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i dont
> > remember.

Probably isopropyl alcohol (aka propan-2-ol) or IPA for short - not to be confused with Greene King
IPA which is actually India Pale Ale, though it describes itself as "IPA Bitter" which is rather a
contradiction in terms.

(Slightly OT and possibly not comprehensible outside the UK - I know)

> This could almost be a story from any housing scheme in Glasgow in the 80s or
> 90s.
post #22 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

michaelsergey@hotmail.com (Mike) writes:
> I've been using mineral spirits as a degreaser for years, with much success and no regrets. In
> addition to the qualities Ed mentions, it has an oily consistency/base to it, which really aids in
> degreasing and in removing gummy residues leftover from stickers, etc. (However, since it's oily,
> you DON't want to use it for cleaning applications where an oily residue would be problematic, as
> in preparing a part for painting, etc.). AND, it's really cheap! (runs about $2-3/gallon at the
> big-orange-box store).

How do you store it? What do you put it in, when you are cleaning parts?

Morgan
post #23 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Bruce Lange" <brucelange@attbi.com> wrote in message

> Isopropyl Alcohol is a lot less toxic to you skin and
lungs than things like
> acetone, MEK, & thinners. Those are some serious
carcinogenic organic
> solvents and should be used with great care (even though
they're generally
> not). I use diluted citric degreaser to get the grime off,
then rinse in
> alcohol to get rid of any residue.

This is true, but like any alcohol, isopropyl can ruin rubber parts like seals.

Matt O.
post #24 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"David L. Johnson" <david.johnson@lehigh.edu> wrote in message

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
>
> > kerosene, gasolene are good,
>
> Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and
can easily
> ignite from small sparks. That is how a car works, guys.
Also, there
> are additives that are designed to stick to the surfaces,
which is not
> what you want for cleaning.

Also, both the fumes and the liquid itself (in contact with skin) are extremely poisonous.

Don't use gasoline. A lot of people do, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Matt O.
post #25 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Tim McNamara" <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote in message

> In article <b6embe$kh2$1@sparta.btinternet.com>,
> "Robert Adams" <r.adams@nospam.wpcsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > A slightly different question, but - Has anyone managed
to buy
> > citric acid in bulk? I remeber being told that this
would be easy
> > to pick up from chemical suppliers and should make good
citrus
> > deagreaser once added to water.
>
> As you will find in another thread, citrus degreasers are
not citric
> acid based. Citric acid is Vitamin C and is not a
degreaser.

Citric acid is not the same as the citrus degreasers seen everywhere. These contain limonene, a
completely different compound. However, citric acid is an effective cleaner which has been very
popular in the past, particularly before all these (better) modern products were available. You may
still be able to find it in powdered form at a janitorial supply. Some window cleaners still use it
to clean hard water deposits from glass, though there are better things for that now too.

Take advantage of modern chemistry, and use something designed for the task. Frankly, you can't do
much better than automotive parts cleaner. It's effective, cheap, and safe. It's environmentally
friendly because you don't need to throw it away -- you can keep the same container around for
years, dunking your parts into it whenever necessary.

Matt O.
post #26 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Andrew" <sks@sgfds.com> wrote in message news:Xdsia.38375$HR6.35166@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
depot
> asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
second
> guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
came
> back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
solvent
> was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
> dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

I have a stupid question I know some of you wash your bikes in the shower and I know some of you
use simple green when washing. But do you use the simple green in the shower? I usually just go
outside to the driveway and do all the washing and maintenance, but now I have a new apartment and I
don't really have a driveway anymore. Maybe I should just spread on some newspapers on the balcony?
post #27 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Andrew" <sks@sgfds.com> wrote in message news:<Xdsia.38375$HR6.35166@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...
> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
> solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
> paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
> know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
> which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?

Yes, but Simple Green is better, faster and cleaner.
post #28 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Robert Chung" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not in a martini. For that, I prefer Bombay Sapphire. I've tried other gins, but they taste a bit
> too much like paint thinner.

Real funny thing - there is a guy on one of the science newsgroups. He was designing and building
heat pipes for practical use. I can't remember the exact application but he does have some patents
in the stuff now I think.

He kept trying all sorts of liquid phases for the heat carrier and finally he got it to work - using
a certain brand of gin. When he got the heat pipe to work it went from cold to boiling at the far
end in a second. It also made a "BONG" sound when it went into transfer mode.
post #29 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message
> David L. Johnson <david.johnson@lehigh.edu> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
> >
> > > kerosene, gasolene are good,
> >
> > Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
> > That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
> > surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.
>
> You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner

It happens every single day in the US. Especially nasty in a garage where the clothes dryer or water
heater flame or coils can ignite gas vapors and blow your butt into the middle of the street while
lighting a nice fire in your house.

As Dr. Johnson suggests you should never use gasoline. Even in open air it's a problem. Kerosene is
better but Simple Green is non-flammible, biodegradable and cheap. And it works fine on even heavy
grease jobs with the simple addition of hot water.

Don't be stupid. Alcohol doesn't cut many types of grease. MEK and Acetone go right through yoru
skin and can cause serious physiological problems. Gasoline is explosive. Kerosene is tolerable.
Orange/Citrus cleaners and Simple Green are by far the best compromise.
post #30 of 42

Re: IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"David Kunz" <davidk21770@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
> > so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
>
> I use WD-40 here.

That is some really expensive paint thinner in an aerosol can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mountain Bikes
This thread is locked