or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

post #1 of 32
Hello veryone,

I have been browsing through the internet and read a number of
messages on this newsgroup. I would like to get some advise. We are
planning on walking to Scafell Pike. We are a familly of four persons
with good condition and have done a lot of walking. We live in the
Nether;lands, so most walking is done on a relatively flat surface
:-). We are walkers, not climbers. We have experience in reading maps
and using a compass. We will also carry a GPS as an additional help.

I am looking for the least difficult way to approach Scafell Pike.
From the various webpages I get the feeling that the walk from:
- Washdale is the easiest
- Langdale is the heaviest
- Seathwaite is somewhere in between, but the most popular one.

Can anybody give advice on the easiest route and what difficulties we
may encounter?

Another question I have is whether you can recommend camping sites in
the area. We usually don't make reservations, because we travel around
and never know how long we will stay at one place. We will be in the
UK from end of July, until the beginning of August.

Thanks, Jos Warmer
post #2 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

"Jos Warmer" <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hello veryone,

> Another question I have is whether you can recommend camping sites in
> the area. We usually don't make reservations, because we travel around
> and never know how long we will stay at one place. We will be in the
> UK from end of July, until the beginning of August.

Take a look at www.stilwell.co.uk for a pretty comprehensive list of camp
sites across the uk.

Gary Webster
Birmingham, England.
post #3 of 32

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:38:46 +0100, Gary Webster wrote:

>"Jos Warmer" <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> Hello veryone,

>> Another question I have is whether you can recommend camping sites in
>> the area. We usually don't make reservations, because we travel around
>> and never know how long we will stay at one place. We will be in the
>> UK from end of July, until the beginning of August.
>>

>Take a look at www.stilwell.co.uk for a pretty comprehensive list of camp
>sites across the uk.

This will narrow it down to the Lake District

http://www.frcc.co.uk/lakes/camp.htm
post #4 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:31:17 +0200, Jos Warmer <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>Can anybody give advice on the easiest route and what difficulties we
>may encounter?

The easiest route is from Wasdale Head via Brown Tongue and
Mickledore. It's a slog - but there are no real difficulties. If it's
misty you need to take care with your navigation after you reach
Mickledore, and after leaving the summit to start the descent. Lots of
people end up in the wrong valley.

--

Paul

(Watch this space)
post #5 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

In message <2lqkf094brg6d97577hiu9rv4027g6gtos@4ax.com>, Jos Warmer
<jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> writes
>Hello veryone,
>
>I have been browsing through the internet and read a number of
>messages on this newsgroup. I would like to get some advise. We are
>planning on walking to Scafell Pike. We are a familly of four persons
>with good condition and have done a lot of walking. We live in the
>Nether;lands, so most walking is done on a relatively flat surface
>:-). We are walkers, not climbers. We have experience in reading maps
>and using a compass. We will also carry a GPS as an additional help.
>
>I am looking for the least difficult way to approach Scafell Pike.
>From the various webpages I get the feeling that the walk from:
>- Washdale is the easiest
>- Langdale is the heaviest
>- Seathwaite is somewhere in between, but the most popular one.

Eskdale is the best!

--
Martin Richardson
239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go

<gary@webster-2002.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

| "Jos Warmer" <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
| > Hello veryone,
|
| > Another question I have is whether you can recommend camping sites in
| > the area. We usually don't make reservations, because we travel around
| > and never know how long we will stay at one place. We will be in the
| > UK from end of July, until the beginning of August.
| >

| Take a look at www.stilwell.co.uk for a pretty comprehensive list of camp
| sites across the uk.

Join Camping and Caravanning club
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/
and you will get the Big Sites Book which lists almost all camping sites in
the UK.

Dave F
post #7 of 32

Martin Richardson wrote:
> In message <2lqkf094brg6d97577hiu9rv4027g6gtos@4ax.com>, Jos Warmer
> <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> writes
>> Hello veryone,
>>
>> I have been browsing through the internet and read a number of
>> messages on this newsgroup. I would like to get some advise. We are
>> planning on walking to Scafell Pike. We are a familly of four persons
>> with good condition and have done a lot of walking. We live in the
>> Nether;lands, so most walking is done on a relatively flat surface
>> :-). We are walkers, not climbers. We have experience in reading maps
>> and using a compass. We will also carry a GPS as an additional help.

Carry the OS 1:25,000 map of the area, that has all the detail you'll ever
need, showing large rocks, sheepfolds, etc.. Readily available in the Lake
District if you've not got it.

>> I am looking for the least difficult way to approach Scafell Pike.
>> From the various webpages I get the feeling that the walk from:
>> - Washdale is the easiest
>> - Langdale is the heaviest
>> - Seathwaite is somewhere in between, but the most popular one.
>>

> Eskdale is the best!

Agreed, and not that difficult a route. Gentle walk up the valley then a
quick steep bit up via the waterfall (path alongside) to Broad Stand. Final
slog to Mickledoor is a bit steep, but otherwise OK.

Three decent routes spring to mind, though there are others:
Retrace steps
Continue beyond summit to Esk Hause, then turn right down valley, meeting
ascent route half-way down.
Descend part way down ascent route to Broad Stand, then take route up gully
to Foxes Tarn, over Scafell, and decend via Slightside. The gully up to
Foxes Tarn would be feel fairly adventurous, yet is safe, for anyone who has
not experienced clambering over rock.

Also routes from Eskdale seems to be a fairly quiet route (for the lakes,
though not much will be quiet in the summer there).

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

"Martin Richardson" <martin@thequiff.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Eskdale is the best!

Rubbish! If you haven't walked it from sea level, then you haven't
done it.

Ian.

post #9 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

Thanks for the help,

I am now planning of getting up from Wasdale through Mickledoor. The
way back I am thinking about going through Lingmell Crag and then down
again to Wasdale, or alternatively going down through the Corridor
Route (seems to be recommenden by quite a few people) and then left at
Sty Head and back to Wasdale.

Whether we are up to climbing Scafell Pike? We will only find out when
we do it. :-) My son certainly wants to get on the highest top in
England. We will practice some easier walks in the Yorkshire Dales
before getting to the Lake District.

Jos Warmer

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:32:24 +0100, "AndyP"
<AndyP@ajp100.freeserve.no-spam.co.uk> wrote:

>"Jos Warmer" <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> wrote
>
>> I am looking for the least difficult way to approach Scafell Pike.
>> From the various webpages I get the feeling that the walk from:
>> - Washdale is the easiest
>> - Langdale is the heaviest
>> - Seathwaite is somewhere in between, but the most popular one.
>>
>> Can anybody give advice on the easiest route and what difficulties we
>> may encounter?

>As far as difficulties go I think any route you care to pick goes through a
>bit of a boulder field at the end and might prove a bit disconcerting to get
>through in heavy mist for the nervous or inexperienced. (There may still be
>helpful cairns if people haven't kicked them all over by now). Apart from
>that there can be a big difference in weather conditions between the valley
>floor and the summit.
>
>If you just want to stand on top of the highest point in England then yes,
>up Brown Tongue from Wasdale is probably easiest. You could vary the
>descent by visiting Lingmell for good aerial views of the ravines below and
>a grassier less busy route to return by. I reckon the Corridor Route to be
>amongst the best ways up and should be easy enough for anyone who thinks
>they're up to climbing Scafell Pike in the first place. Have fun.

post #10 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

Phil, Gary,

I had not found this list yet, it is very helpfull.

Thanks, Jos

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:13:46 +0100, Phil Cook
<u-r-walk@p-t-cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:38:46 +0100, Gary Webster wrote:
>
>>"Jos Warmer" <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>> Hello veryone,

>>> Another question I have is whether you can recommend camping sites in
>>> the area. We usually don't make reservations, because we travel around
>>> and never know how long we will stay at one place. We will be in the
>>> UK from end of July, until the beginning of August.
>>>

>>Take a look at www.stilwell.co.uk for a pretty comprehensive list of camp
>>sites across the uk.

>This will narrow it down to the Lake District
>
>http://www.frcc.co.uk/lakes/camp.htm
post #11 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

In message <fb6ed38121853d1247765d408c4d6186.32109@mygate.mailgate.org>,
Ian Dainty <jeff_tweedy@hotmail.com> writes
>"Martin Richardson" <martin@thequiff.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Eskdale is the best!

>Rubbish! If you haven't walked it from sea level, then you haven't
>done it.

Some of us have done it from the base of the mid Atlantic Ridge -
however, we are not prone to boasting.

--
Martin Richardson
239/284 Munros - 15% to go 34/34 'Furths' & 439/439 Nuttalls - 0% to go
42/89 Donalds - 53% to go 0/? Himalayans - 100% to go
442/1552 Marilyns - 72% to go
post #12 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

Theo,

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:01:41 +0200, "theo" <theoGeenSpam@planet.nl>
wrote:

>"Ian Dainty" <jeff_tweedy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> "Martin Richardson" <martin@thequiff.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> > Eskdale is the best!

>> Rubbish! If you haven't walked it from sea level, then you haven't
>> done it.

>They start their journey in Holland ! 25 % beneath sealevel, summit cairn at
>322,5 meters !

But we are not planning on walking all the way from Holland ...

Jos

>Theo

post #13 of 32

Re: Easiest (least difficult) way to Scafell Pike

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:28:47 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
<jeff_tweedy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Martin Richardson" <martin@thequiff.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Eskdale is the best!

>Rubbish! If you haven't walked it from sea level, then you haven't
>done it.

Then walk up Eskdale then, great stuff all the way from Ravenglass to
the top.

--
Richard Webb
Serious Wa*king - http://www.sub3000.com

"Paul Rooney" <paulrooney@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:31:17 +0200, Jos Warmer <jos.warmer@xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
> >Can anybody give advice on the easiest route and what difficulties we
> >may encounter?

> The easiest route is from Wasdale Head via Brown Tongue and
> Mickledore. It's a slog - but there are no real difficulties. If it's
> misty you need to take care with your navigation after you reach
> Mickledore, and after leaving the summit to start the descent. Lots of
> people end up in the wrong valley.
>
> --

I back this route too, even I can do it! And it was good fun apart from the
mad runners who kept jogging all over the top!
Contact www.wasdaleweb.co.uk for details, the guys in the Barn Door shop at
Wasdale are very helpful and their campsite is very cheap (cos it's very
basic!).
www.thebarndoorshop.org.uk
The National Trust have a bigger site with better facilities but as always
you get what you pay for.

Nick
post #15 of 32

> Thanks for the help,
>
> I am now planning of getting up from Wasdale through Mickledoor. The
> way back I am thinking about going through Lingmell Crag and then down
> again to Wasdale, or alternatively going down through the Corridor
> Route (seems to be recommenden by quite a few people) and then left at
> Sty Head and back to Wasdale.
>
> Whether we are up to climbing Scafell Pike? We will only find out when
> we do it. :-) My son certainly wants to get on the highest top in
> England. We will practice some easier walks in the Yorkshire Dales
> before getting to the Lake District.

For camping within striking distance of SP, the National Trust campsite at
Wasdale Head is pretty good. The facilities are reasonable. It does fill
up on summer weekends, though, and arriving late afternoon on a Friday might
be unwise, as the only alternative, if it is full, is a very basic field
further up the valey near the pub, with no amenities as such, or a long
drive out.

I've been up SP several times with each of my children by a variety of
routes, and I'd say that overall, they seemed to prefer an ascent by the
Corridor Route and a descent by Brown Tongue, from Wasdale. They all
complained that going up by Brown Tongue was a bit of a slog, but that as a
descent route it was quite good. They found that the Cooridor Route as a
descent seemed to be a bit long.

You can make the Corridor Route ascent more interesting by avoiding the path
up the flank of Great Gable to Styhead Tarn, and sticking to the valley
bottom to join the CR by a more direct route.

Rob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Fitness