or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pickling without sugar?

post #1 of 16
I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Re: Pickling without sugar?

Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
>However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
>the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

A sweet pickle recipe will have sugar--often lots of it, like a pound
of sugar for every half gallon of water/vinegar. BUt some don't
require any sugar. Dill, Garlic DIll, Hot pickle mixes typically have
no sugar. Also remember that most of the sugar remains in the
juice/brine that stays in the jar. But the pickled veggies will
absolutely absorb some of the sugary juice.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
350/276/Jul-269/200
Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
Maint.-70 carbs/day (CCLL=50-60)
post #3 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:03:38 GMT, DigitalVinyl <reader@internet.com> wrote:

> Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
>> interest.
>> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to
>> forego
>> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

> A sweet pickle recipe will have sugar--often lots of it, like a pound
> of sugar for every half gallon of water/vinegar. BUt some don't
> require any sugar. Dill, Garlic DIll, Hot pickle mixes typically have
> no sugar. Also remember that most of the sugar remains in the
> juice/brine that stays in the jar. But the pickled veggies will
> absolutely absorb some of the sugary juice.
>

> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
> 350/276/Jul-269/200
> Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
> Maint.-70 carbs/day (CCLL=50-60)

Thanks. Alton did a hot pickle mix but still added sugar (although less
than the sweet versions). Perhaps I'll use his recipe, but then make two
batches -- one with and one without sugar.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Re: Pickling without sugar?

I eat no sugar added Kosher dills.........luv'em.......Alton Brown is pretty
cool eh! I like his show! I learn lot from this guy! Anyone here know who
George Stella is?

Eddie

"Bob in CT" <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote in message
newspsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net...
I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
post #5 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

My kids love watching the show.. they say he's like *Bill Nye in the
kitchen* LOL

Teeb

"Eddie Type 2" <eddie-type2@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I eat no sugar added Kosher dills.........luv'em.......Alton Brown is

pretty
> cool eh! I like his show! I learn lot from this guy! Anyone here know

who
> George Stella is?
>
> Eddie
>

> "Bob in CT" <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> newspsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net...
> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!
>
> --
> Bob in CT
> Remove ".x" to reply

post #6 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:03:38 GMT, DigitalVinyl <reader@internet.com> wrote:
>
>> Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
>>> interest.
>>> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to
>>> forego
>>> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

>> A sweet pickle recipe will have sugar--often lots of it, like a pound
>> of sugar for every half gallon of water/vinegar. BUt some don't
>> require any sugar. Dill, Garlic DIll, Hot pickle mixes typically have
>> no sugar. Also remember that most of the sugar remains in the
>> juice/brine that stays in the jar. But the pickled veggies will
>> absolutely absorb some of the sugary juice.
>>

>> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
>> 350/276/Jul-269/200
>> Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
>> Maint.-70 carbs/day (CCLL=50-60)

>Thanks. Alton did a hot pickle mix but still added sugar (although less
>than the sweet versions). Perhaps I'll use his recipe, but then make two
>batches -- one with and one without sugar.

Yeah I've spotted some Sweet-Hot recipes for pickles as well as mixed
veggies (cukes, peppers, jalapenos, cauliflower, carrots). The amount
of sugar tends to be 1-3 cups instead of by the pound!

If you want to estimate carb counts use commercial varieties for a
guideline. You can find an online grocer to evaluate different brnads
and the ranges, which can be from 0 carbs to 10 maybe more on the
sweet variety. Because of the unknown absorption rate you'll never
know for sure.

Also, sugar doesn't provide any chemical action in the brine/liquid
that I have read about, so you can swap in artificial sweeteners. I've
seen one or two no-sugar recipes and they add nothing special to
compensate for lack of sugar other than a sweetener. I do think it
would affect the taste as, personally, I don't think artificial
sweeteners taste *JUST* like sugar. They are sweet but it is a
different sweetness. One method in cooking is to do a half-sugar-half
artificial mix, to reduce carbs but provide some of the real
sugar-taste.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
350/276/Jul-269/200
Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
Maint.-70 carbs/day (CCLL=50-60)
post #7 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

I don't see any reason you can't leave it out except that the taste will
change, if you want to keep the sweetness replace it with Splenda. Mt.
Olive does this quite successfully, their bread and butter pickles are
heavenly.

In newspsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net,
Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> stated
| I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
| interest. However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it
| possible to forego the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!
|
| --
| Bob in CT
| Remove ".x" to reply
post #8 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

Bob in CT wrote:

> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
> interest. However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it
> possible to forego the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

Head over to rec.food.preserving for real expert info.

Pastorio
post #9 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:13:16 -0400, Bob (this one) <Bob@nospam.com> wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>
>> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
>> interest. However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it
>> possible to forego the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

> Head over to rec.food.preserving for real expert info.
>
> Pastorio

Thanks! I didn't even know that one existed.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Re: Pickling without sugar?

Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<opsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net>...
> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

Pickling is usually done with vinegar not sugar.
post #11 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<opsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net>...
> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

Pickling is usually done with vinegar not sugar.
post #12 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

On 4 Aug 2004 13:04:24 -0700, The Voice of Reason
<i_hate_hibs@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
>> interest.
>> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to
>> forego
>> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

> Pickling is usually done with vinegar not sugar.

All the recipes were vinegar plus sugar plus spices.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Re: Pickling without sugar?

FOB wrote:
|| I don't see any reason you can't leave it out except that the taste
|| will change, if you want to keep the sweetness replace it with
|| Splenda. Mt. Olive does this quite successfully, their bread and
|| butter pickles are heavenly.

Yes indeed.

|| In newspsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net,
|| Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> stated
||| I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my
||| interest. However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it
||| possible to forego the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!
||| --
||| Bob in CT
||| Remove ".x" to reply
post #14 of 16

Re: Pickling without sugar?

My friends kids, 3 and 5, will also watch him.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Re: Pickling without sugar?

i_hate_hibs@hotmail.com (The Voice of Reason) wrote:

>Bob in CT <ctviggen.x@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<opsb5pbpu46snke8@news.snet.sbcglobal.net>...
>> I just saw a Good Eats episode about pickling, and it piqued my interest.
>> However, every recipe Alton Brown did had sugar. Is it possible to forego
>> the sugar (or perhaps add less)? Thanks!

>Pickling is usually done with vinegar not sugar.

Vinegar is not the sole ingredient ever in pickling.
Many recipes add sugars, salts and of course spices.
To my knowledge vinegar is always present including in sweetened
pickles like those Alton Brown did.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
350/273/Jul-269/200
Atkins since Jan 12, 2004