Deore Disc Hubs

Nelson Binch

Guest
I recently built a pair of wheels using the 555 Deore Disc hubs. These are slightly unusual as the
spoke heads are inserted through a hole and then locked into a slot. The idea is that you can
replace a spoke (it can use both straight pull or the more common J type spokes) without removing
any of the running gear (disc rotors, cassette.)

Has anyone had any experience running these hubs? Any good? Any bad experiences?

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 7/10/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently built a pair of wheels using the 555 Deore Disc hubs. These
are
> slightly unusual as the spoke heads are inserted through a hole and then locked into a slot. The
> idea is that you can replace a spoke (it can use both straight pull or the more common J type
> spokes) without removing any
of
> the running gear (disc rotors, cassette.)
>
> Has anyone had any experience running these hubs? Any good? Any bad experiences?

I have a set for a backup for my Rolf's. I've run them for a few months of hard riding and they have
held up well. The only problem I've seen with them was on a young DHer's bike where he flat spotted
the rim and several of the spokes released from the hub. An unlikely occurrence in most XC riding. I
was wondering what they were like lacing up a wheel with?

Mike

| "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > I recently built a pair of wheels using the 555 Deore Disc hubs.
|
| I have a set for a backup for my Rolf's. I've run them for a few months
of
| hard riding and they have held up well. The only problem I've seen with them was on a young DHer's
| bike where he flat spotted the rim and several
of
| the spokes released from the hub. An unlikely occurrence in most XC
riding.
| I was wondering what they were like lacing up a wheel with?

They were amazingly easy to build, more so that a regular hub. Even the measurements and
calculations went pretty much by standard means. I found that I had to add one mm to each set of
spokes based on calculations using the Wheelsmith system. As per the instructions included with
them, I laced them with regular DT Champion spokes (14g) 3 cross at 32º on some Specialized BXL21
rims. One thing I did notice during the early stages of tensioning, when I squeezed the spokes a few
popped fully into their slots. From that point, it was a walk in the park.

The bit about them releasing due to a flat spot is a bit scary, but they are definitely not DH
stuff. I'd almost like to ride them, sans rotor (the rims I used are XC, though they don't have
machined brake tracks.)

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 7/10/2003

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently built a pair of wheels using the 555 Deore Disc hubs. These
are
> slightly unusual as the spoke heads are inserted through a hole and then locked into a slot. The
> idea is that you can replace a spoke (it can use both straight pull or the more common J type
> spokes) without removing any
of
> the running gear (disc rotors, cassette.)
>
> Has anyone had any experience running these hubs? Any good? Any bad experiences?

Been running mine since early last year without hint of a problem - I love them.

Shaun aRe - I am only quite light though at 155lb or so, but I'm tough (uuhhhmm,
'clumsy'.....) on gear.

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently built a pair of wheels using the 555 Deore Disc hubs. These
are
> slightly unusual as the spoke heads are inserted through a hole and then locked into a slot. The
> idea is that you can replace a spoke (it can use both straight pull or the more common J type
> spokes) without removing any
of
> the running gear (disc rotors, cassette.)
>
> Has anyone had any experience running these hubs? Any good? Any bad experiences?

I have an XT disc hub from last year that I am running, its flangeless like the Deore's from this
year (trickle down technology). I haven't had to replace any spokes but it does seem like it would
be easier to do than a traditional flanged hub.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> I have an XT disc hub from last year that I am running, its flangeless
like
> the Deore's from this year (trickle down technology). I haven't had to replace any spokes but it
> does seem like it would be easier to do than a traditional flanged hub.

What's this flangeless thing? Does anyone have a picture of one?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I have an XT disc hub from last year that I am running, its flangeless
> like
> > the Deore's from this year (trickle down technology). I haven't had to replace any spokes but it
> > does seem like it would be easier to do than a traditional flanged hub.
>
> What's this flangeless thing? Does anyone have a picture of one?

There were some pics up on the Shimano web site when I bought mine - should still be there. Mebbe
you could take a look?

Shaun aRe

> Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > I have an XT disc hub from last year that I am running, its flangeless
> > like
> > > the Deore's from this year (trickle down technology). I haven't had to replace any spokes but
> > > it does seem like it would be easier to do than
> > > traditional flanged hub.
> >
> > What's this flangeless thing? Does anyone have a picture of one?
>
> There were some pics up on the Shimano web site when I bought mine -
should
> still be there. Mebbe you could take a look?

The rear hub: http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1212.html

The front hub:

http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1211.html

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > like
> > >
> > > What's this flangeless thing? Does anyone have a picture of one?
> >
> > There were some pics up on the Shimano web site when I bought mine -
> should
> > still be there. Mebbe you could take a look?
>
> The rear hub: http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1212.html
>
> The front hub:
>
> http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1211.html

Shoulda known some nasty Canadian idiot woulda posted a link - cheers Carla ',;~}~

Mine are just like that, but in silver/grey - I think they look much tidier than conventional hubs,
so even if mine fail miserably in their third year of abuse, I'll put some more of the same on.

Shaun aRe - MTB'ing - it's all about aesthetics.

> Shoulda known some nasty Canadian idiot woulda posted a link - cheers
Carla
> ',;~}~

You're welcome.

> Mine are just like that, but in silver/grey - I think they look much
tidier
> than conventional hubs, so even if mine fail miserably in their third year of abuse, I'll put some
> more of the same on.

They're great hubs.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Shoulda known some nasty Canadian idiot woulda posted a link - cheers
> Carla
> > ',;~}~
>
> You're welcome.
>
> > Mine are just like that, but in silver/grey - I think they look much
> tidier
> > than conventional hubs, so even if mine fail miserably in their third
year
> > of abuse, I'll put some more of the same on.
>
> They're great hubs.

18+ months of use, many over the hub river crossings, many many many (etc,) rides in heavy rain, and
zero servicing - still going strong with no bearing play agrees with you there ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - 'I acquiesce'.

> Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> flangeless
> than

> > > There were some pics up on the Shimano web site when I bought mine -
> > should
> > > still be there. Mebbe you could take a look?
> >
> > The rear hub: http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1212.html
> >
> > The front hub:
> >
> > http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1211.html
>
> Shoulda known some nasty Canadian idiot woulda posted a link - cheers Carla ',;~}~
>

> Mine are just like that, but in silver/grey - I think they look much tidier than conventional
> hubs, so even if mine fail miserably in their third year of abuse, I'll put some more of the
> same on.
>

> Shaun aRe - MTB'ing - it's all about aesthetics.

I though that without a flange it would make for a flexy wheel. I think I thought that because some
of Jobst's brainwashing is starting to seep
in. In practice they feel just as stiff as any other wheel and I now recommend them to the more
prolific spoke breakers who frequent our shop. The funny thing is, now that they have these
hubs that are easy to change the spokes on, they aren't breaking spokes.
--
_________________________

Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > flangeless
> > than

> > > should
> > >
> > > The rear hub: http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1212.html
> > >
> > > The front hub:
> > >
> > > http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/399/shopscr1211.html
> >
> > Shoulda known some nasty Canadian idiot woulda posted a link - cheers
Carla
> > ',;~}~
> >

> > Mine are just like that, but in silver/grey - I think they look much
tidier
> > than conventional hubs, so even if mine fail miserably in their third
year
> > of abuse, I'll put some more of the same on.
> >

> > Shaun aRe - MTB'ing - it's all about aesthetics.
> >

> I though that without a flange it would make for a flexy wheel.

Yeah - some suggested that when I posted here asking about them, but my experience says it ain't so.
I mean, you've got what, a 1/2 inch max. increase in spoke length? No worries.

> I think I thought that because some of Jobst's brainwashing is starting to seep
> in. In practice they feel just as stiff as any other wheel and I now recommend them to the more
> prolific spoke breakers who frequent our shop. The funny thing is, now that they have these
> hubs that are easy to change the spokes on, they aren't breaking spokes.

Heh - sods law ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - don't think I'd recommend them for radial lacing though.............