Boleki Operation...

I have just read this article, and it sounds like Beloki has the same injury I had to my hip 18
months ago. As a matter of fact, I'm now at home recovering from the surgery to remove the plate
and screws.

Beloki may be home within the week, but he'll be using a walker for at least his first week at home.
Perhaps two. I don't actually know how he'd even use a walker given the fact that his arm is in a
cast. He'll be on crutches for at least 6 weeks afterwards, and then a cane after that for perhaps
another month, all the while doing lots of physical therapy.

The combined trauma of the fall/break and then the surgery which cuts a significant amount of muscle
material...has left his leg very stunned, and the muscles are not working very well now. He can't
even lift his leg, that's for sure.

There is no way Beloki will be racing this season.

kaiser wrote:
> The combined trauma of the fall/break and then the surgery which cuts a significant amount of
> muscle material...has left his leg very stunned, and the muscles are not working very well now. He
> can't even lift his leg, that's for sure.
>
> There is no way Beloki will be racing this season.

I was wondering about that. If the surgeon needs to access the bone to manipulate and splint it
internally, do they just slice through the quads or other muscles, or do they work around them,
moving the whole muscle out of the way with a spanner or something? IF cutting through, they then
have to stitch it back together, right? And does the muscle heal itself quickly?

Yum. Lunch time.

There are a couple of things that differ in your comparison... Beloki is a world class athlete, his
muscles started stronger and will recover faster.

His Surgeon, in all likelyhood, was the best that money can buy and specifically working to keep the
operative damage to a minimum and shorten the recover period.

You probably had a DHS (Dynamic Hip Screw) for your repair. It is a pretty normal system, but the
size of the screw that goes into the ball of the hip makes avascular necrosis a rick if too much
weight bearing occurs will the screw is in place. Some of the newer Orthopeadic Hip Systems use
small hip screws and allow weight bearing much sooner.

Look at Landis, how long ago was his hip fracture? Now he is riding the "Tour".

As an ex Operating Room Nurse I can tell you that what we "normal" people get for care does not
compare to what athletes recieve.

Here is hoping that his recovery is quick and full. Maybe he will stop Lance from getting "6".

Tony "Waiting for the cable to be installed, and thankfull for OLN audio" "kaiser"
> I have just read this article, and it sounds like Beloki has the same injury I had to my hip 18
> months ago. As a matter of fact, I'm now at home recovering from the surgery to remove the plate
> and screws.
>
> Beloki may be home within the week, but he'll be using a walker for at least his first week at
> home. Perhaps two. I don't actually know how he'd even use a walker given the fact that his arm is
> in a cast. He'll be on crutches for at least 6 weeks afterwards, and then a cane after that for
> perhaps another month, all the while doing lots of physical therapy.
>
> The combined trauma of the fall/break and then the surgery which cuts a significant amount of
> muscle material...has left his leg very stunned, and the muscles are not working very well now. He
> can't even lift his leg, that's for sure.
>
> There is no way Beloki will be racing this season.
>
> "Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=4338

The surgeon needs to clear muscle away from the bone in order to give himself plenty of working
room. He then drills a fairly big hole up into the femoral neck, and then screws a fairly big bolt
up into the space. Then he typically attaches a plate to the side of the femur (secured with 3-4
screws) to hold it in place. Those screws go right through the middle of the femur and resemble
drywall screws. Our OR nurse friend (below) may know differently though. The fact that Beloki did
not get his surgery for 2-3 days means that they probably hunted for a surgeon who would try to take
his profession into consideration when making the cuts, and when deciding what screws and plates to
use. My hardware (which I took home last week) is pretty big, and weighs a total of 5 oz.

For certain, my surgery involved cutting through a fair amount of muscle tissue. That heals fairly
fast. A lot of what keeps the injured down is the fact that the tramua of the injury itself is quite
significant. The whole area was probably just totally whalloped and bruised by that high-speed
impact. The muscles in the region just shut down, and need to be brought back to gradual use through
intense physical therapy. Once the hardware is in, that bone is pretty secure. The real work is in
getting the muscles to work again and synchronizing with one another. The recovery is slow, but
you'd be amazed at how exponential the progress in in the