RIP: Dave Staub

Steven L. Sheff

Guest
Many of the young farts in this group probably won't know him (or of him, but I'm sure most, if not
all the old-timers do), but the following announcement on the passing of Dave Staub was posted to
one of my mailing-lists.

Dave had a fascinating article in issue #2 of Asphalt Magazine (see
http://www.asphaltmag.com/v1n2/feature1.htm for an excerpt), grew up in San Francisco back when
Oscar Juner still owned American Cyclery, was a 2-time participant at the World Track Championships,
won the silver medal in the kilo at the 1959 Pan-American Games, was GM for Schwinn Sales West for
28 years, before opening a shop of his own in Southern California.

------

Dear friends;

Only moments ago I recieved a phone call from one of our listmembers and friend of mine with the
tragic information that earlier today, esteemed listmember Dave Staub was found on the side of the
road by a passing motorist. Apparently Dave passed away while out riding his bicycle earlier today.
For those who know Dave from the list or have met him in person; you know what an incredable
enthusiest and rider Dave was. Like our recently departed and equally beloved Chris Beyer, Dave
Staub was one of those always happy and ever positive individuals; no matter what was going on. His
contribution to the world of bicycling, which extended for his entire life, was tremendous. He was
by far one of my favorite local listmembers to ride and hang around with. We had a special bond
which only short riders have with one another. We recently rode a few laps on the Disney/Mountford
Schwinn 1964 Olympic track tandem on one of gatherings here in San Diego. I will miss him deeply.
He was just here this past Monday to pick up his freshly restored 1964 Masi Special, which he
bought new. I hjad just given the bike a new life. I dearly wish I could have somewhow given him
more life; he is one of the most deserving persons I have ever met. We were going to ride together
this comming Sunday. You cannot imagine my sadness right now, as I realize I will never be able to
ride with him again.

God Bless you, Dave. Rest in Peace.

Brian Baylis La Mesa, CA This is the most painful submission I will ever have to make to the list
I'm sure. Truely a more friendly and sincere man never lived.

Thanks for sharing that news, however sad.

I met Dave during the build-up to the '84 Games through another one of our lost cycling comrades
Chuck Pranke while both of us worked for Campagnolo USA. I recall Dave as an always happy guy who
readily swapped war stories like all racers do.

In recent years I've enjoyed digging into US cycling history of the 50's and 60's and Dave's
name would always pop up in SoCal accounts. I'm looking at this moment at a weathered program
from the 1963 PanAm Trials at Encino where Dave is listed in the roster as a representative of
the SF Wheelman.

RIP

In article <BB3CB246.58CD%[email protected]>, Steven L. Sheffield <[email protected]> wrote:

> Many of the young farts in this group probably won't know him (or of him, but I'm sure most, if
> not all the old-timers do), but the following announcement on the passing of Dave Staub was posted
> to one of my mailing-lists.
>
> Dave had a fascinating article in issue #2 of Asphalt Magazine (see
> http://www.asphaltmag.com/v1n2/feature1.htm for an excerpt), grew up in San Francisco back when
> Oscar Juner still owned American Cyclery, was a 2-time participant at the World Track
> Championships, won the silver medal in the kilo at the 1959 Pan-American Games, was GM for Schwinn
> Sales West for 28 years, before opening a shop of his own in Southern California.
>
> ------
>
> Dear friends;
>
> Only moments ago I recieved a phone call from one of our listmembers and friend of mine with the
> tragic information that earlier today, esteemed listmember Dave Staub was found on the side of the
> road by a passing motorist. Apparently Dave passed away while out riding his bicycle earlier
> today. For those who know Dave from the list or have met him in person; you know what an
> incredable enthusiest and rider Dave was. Like our recently departed and equally beloved Chris
> Beyer, Dave Staub was one of those always happy and ever positive individuals; no matter what was
> going on. His contribution to the world of bicycling, which extended for his entire life, was
> tremendous. He was by far one of my favorite local listmembers to ride and hang around with. We
> had a special bond which only short riders have with one another. We recently rode a few laps on
> the Disney/Mountford Schwinn 1964 Olympic track tandem on one of gatherings here in San Diego. I
> will miss him deeply. He was just here this past Monday to pick up his freshly restored 1964 Masi
> Special, which he bought new. I hjad just given the bike a new life. I dearly wish I could have
> somewhow given him more life; he is one of the most deserving persons I have ever met. We were
> going to ride together this comming Sunday. You cannot imagine my sadness right now, as I realize
> I will never be able to ride with him again.
>
> God Bless you, Dave. Rest in Peace.
>
> Brian Baylis La Mesa, CA This is the most painful submission I will ever have to make to the list
> I'm sure. Truely a more friendly and sincere man never lived.

Thanks for sharing that news, however sad.

I'd met Dave during the build-up to the '84 Games through another one of our now lost comrades Chuck
Pranke while both of us worked at Campagnolo USA. I recall Dave as an always happy guy who readily
traded war stories like all racers do.

In recent years I've dug into US cycling history of the 50's and 60's and Dave's name would always
pop up in SoCal stories. I'm looking at this moment at a weathered program for the 1963 Pan Am
Trials at Encino where Dave is listed as a representative of the SF Wheelman.