or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

post #1 of 13
"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?

radishes
When cooked, they lose their "bite" and dinner guests I've had have thought
they were small red potatoes instead of radishes. If that sounds like what
you're looking for in your stew, then use radishes.

--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04

"Before" & "current" pics at link below:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spr...=/55b8&.src=ph
post #2 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?

Turnips
post #3 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

Try beef.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?
post #4 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

Try beef.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?
post #5 of 13

"Pat" <Pat@newsday.com> wrote in message

> "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> : be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
> :
> : Any recommendations?
>
> parsnips?

NO! Parsnips are 15 grams of carb per 1/2 cup. They also have a strong
flavor that many people don't like. FTR, I love 'em.
post #6 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

"Pat" <Pat@newsday.com> wrote in message

> "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> : be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
> :
> : Any recommendations?
>
> parsnips?

NO! Parsnips are 15 grams of carb per 1/2 cup. They also have a strong
flavor that many people don't like. FTR, I love 'em.
post #7 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:35:13 -0500, "Sprgtime" <no.spam@wanted.here>
wrote:

>"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
>> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>>
>> Any recommendations?

>radishes
>When cooked, they lose their "bite" and dinner guests I've had have thought
>they were small red potatoes instead of radishes. If that sounds like what
>you're looking for in your stew, then use radishes.

Really? I've never tried cooking radishes. I'm gonna try that today.
Thanks for the tip! I'm always looking for new ways to prepare
vegetables.

Lybbe
Highest Weight - 308
Started Bernstein Diet October 2, 2004 - 243.0
Today's weight - 224.8
Goal - 150
post #8 of 13

"zacharyshimano@yahoo.com" <zacharyshimano@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1099379510.000072.196410@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> This may sound a bit too healthy but why not add some extra firm tofu.
> Yum. It's some what like potatoes but without the starch. It will soak
> up the flavor from the stew and trust me, it will fill you up like
> potatoes. Not the same texture but certainly filling. Or what about egg
> whites. You can add them at the very end before serving. It's an almost
> no carb topping.
>
> Happy eating!
> Zachary Shimano

Cabbage! It flavors it nice and makes the soup more dense. WOnderful!
Laureen
post #9 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

Turnips or Rutabagas do well.

--
Regards,
Evelyn

(to reply to me personally, remove 'sox")
"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?
post #10 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

I thought Jicima was the new potato?

:-)

Steve

"Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?
post #11 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

Will jicama and radishes soften in the stew like potatoes? If so, I'm game
to try them.

Scionyx wrote:
> I thought Jicima was the new potato?
>
> :-)
>
> Steve
>
> "Gary" <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
>> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
post #12 of 13

Re: What to use instead of potatoes in beef stew?

Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<q3ldo01b4jr0k9nhlsa97rk1rku8qngg39@4ax.com>...
> I love beef stew. I'm happy to leave out the potatoes, but it would
> be nice to have an ingredient to substitute for them in the stew.
>
> Any recommendations?

I just increase the amount of meat and decrease the amount of
potatoes. Tipping the scales towards more meat less carbs.

TC
post #13 of 13

"Darawen Littlestich" <impained@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will jicama and radishes soften in the stew like potatoes? If so, I'm game
> to try them.

Radishes soften in stew - use them just like you would small potatoes.

I haven't tried jicama, so I can't tell you about that.

--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04
260/202/170

"Before" & "current" pics at link below:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spr...=/55b8&.src=ph
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition