Numb Toes -- Not Shoes?

Chas Douglass

Guest
I read with interest the previous posts on numb toes and shoes, but I think
my situation must be different.

I rode up to 4 hours on my old Trek hybrid with Shimano SPD shoes/pedals
with no problems.

I moved these pedals to my new Strada and wear the same shoes. Now I get
numbness in my right outer toes after about 2 hours, and it gradually goes
up the outside of my leg.

After biking the numbness is gradually replaced by pain.

So I'm thinking saddle, and pinched nerve, um, "higher up". The Strada
came with a Selle San Marco.

Has anyone had this kind of problem and traced it to the saddle? Any
suggestions on what to look for in a different saddle, if so?

Thanks.

Chas Douglass

Chas Douglass wrote:
> I rode up to 4 hours on my old Trek hybrid with Shimano SPD

shoes/pedals
> with no problems.
>
> I moved these pedals to my new Strada and wear the same shoes. Now I

get
> numbness in my right outer toes after about 2 hours, and it gradually

goes
> up the outside of my leg.
>
> After biking the numbness is gradually replaced by pain.
>
> So I'm thinking saddle, and pinched nerve, um, "higher up". The

Strada
> came with a Selle San Marco.

Have you tried moving your old Trek sadle to your new bike for a test
ride? Even if it's an ugly combination, it might help narrow down the
problem.

Is the width of the outside-to-outside edges across the two pedals
(Q-factor) more narrow on your new bike? One of my other theories
about my numb toes problem is that I sometimes have bad pedaling
technique when mindlessly grinding up a hill or into the wind. I think
I sometimes "roll" my feet forward and outward in an attempt to apply
more leverage to the pedals. This increases the pressure on my smaller
two toes because they are jammed against the inside edge of the shoes.
Most people prefer narrower Q-factors, but it might also contribute to
my bad technique.

efistrat wrote:
> Chas Douglass wrote:
>
>>I rode up to 4 hours on my old Trek hybrid with Shimano SPD

> shoes/pedals
>
>>with no problems.
>>
>>I moved these pedals to my new Strada and wear the same shoes. Now I

> get
>
>>numbness in my right outer toes after about 2 hours, and it gradually

> goes
>
>>up the outside of my leg.
>>
>>After biking the numbness is gradually replaced by pain.
>>
>>So I'm thinking saddle, and pinched nerve, um, "higher up". The

> Strada
>
>>came with a Selle San Marco.

> Have you tried moving your old Trek sadle to your new bike for a test
> ride? Even if it's an ugly combination, it might help narrow down the
> problem.
>
> Is the width of the outside-to-outside edges across the two pedals
> (Q-factor) more narrow on your new bike? One of my other theories
> about my numb toes problem is that I sometimes have bad pedaling
> technique when mindlessly grinding up a hill or into the wind. I think
> I sometimes "roll" my feet forward and outward in an attempt to apply
> more leverage to the pedals. This increases the pressure on my smaller
> two toes because they are jammed against the inside edge of the shoes.
> Most people prefer narrower Q-factors, but it might also contribute to
> my bad technique.

SPD pedals have a bit of side-to-side adjustment. This can be kind of
critical to get right since the cleat is so small. Another trick, if
you're prone to pronation, is to put a washer or 2 under one side of the
SPD cleat (you may need a longer bolt, but good HW stores will have
them). Also, if you tend to jam toes forward you might do better with
the cleats far back.

Loosen the laces a little, and make sure you've got the seat height
set right. If there's more weight on your butt, your feet might get
numb. Is numb-toes bike more upright than the other?