The Sugar Demon

Wild Irish Rose

Guest
"None Given" <[email protected]> wrote
>"For people with carbohydrate intolerance,
>insulin is the major driving force
>in increasing appetite and hijacking the satiety
>response."

I have suspected for years that sugar is at the bottom of my problems,
including the desire for alcohol. I notice I only want a "drink" or
glass of wine when my stomach is empty---the thought of having an
alcoholic beverage after eating never enters my mind. I expect the real
deal is, when my blood sugar is low, I interpret this as the "gee, I
think I'll have some wine" impulse.

Funny thing is....that first glass leads to the inevitable, "gee, I
think I'll have ANOTHER glass" feeling. After the second glass, Im not
hungry for a couple of hours. (I expect that's when my blood sugar
plummets again)

Im looking foreward to seeing if my desire for alcohol goes away when I
discontinue sugar bread, rice and pasta.....?

anybody have any experience with this?

~WIR~

"Wild Irish Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Funny thing is....that first glass leads to the inevitable, "gee, I
> think I'll have ANOTHER glass" feeling. After the second glass, Im not
> hungry for a couple of hours. (I expect that's when my blood sugar
> plummets again)
>
> Im looking foreward to seeing if my desire for alcohol goes away when I
> discontinue sugar bread, rice and pasta.....?
>
> anybody have any experience with this?

You might want to read some of the older newsletter archives over at
holdthetoast.com She had some correspondence from alcoholics who found
their alcohol cravings virtually disappear after going low carb.
She had also spoken of relatives who found their alcohol addiction turned
into a sugar addiction when they dried out.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Wild Irish Rose wrote:
> Funny thing is....that first glass leads to the inevitable, "gee, I
> think I'll have ANOTHER glass" feeling. After the second glass, Im not
> hungry for a couple of hours. (I expect that's when my blood sugar
> plummets again)
>
> Im looking foreward to seeing if my desire for alcohol goes away when I
> discontinue sugar bread, rice and pasta.....?
>
> anybody have any experience with this?

Small amounts of alcohol reduces the production of ghrelin
which reduces your appetite. That may be the effect you are seeing.

http://fatnews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/1548/

"Wild Irish Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Funny thing is....that first glass leads to the inevitable, "gee, I
> think I'll have ANOTHER glass" feeling. After the second glass, Im not
> hungry for a couple of hours. (I expect that's when my blood sugar
> plummets again)

I'm a diabetic, and use a glass of wine deliberately to help control blood
glucose levels - either after a meal or last thing at night. It knocks my bg
reading down by around 1 mmol (20-ish of the American units), a significant
effect. I have also learnt that what I used to think was a
had-just-too-much-to-drink feeling is actually too-low blood glucose. Given
that the liver is a big player in both diabetes and metabolising alcohol, I
guess it's not surprising - but I'm now very careful indeed not to go over
my limit, which seems to be about 5oz red wine.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

none given said
>"...some correspondence from alcoholics who
>found their alcohol cravings virtually disappear
>after going low carb. She had also spoken of
>relatives who found their alcohol addiction
>turned into a sugar addiction when they dried >out."

ah HA! I KNEW it! YES, every ex-drinker I ever knew became a sugar
freak. Im becoming convinced tha the very basis of alcoholism MAY be
grounded in a carb/sugar "intolerance".

~WIR~

yes, i read a similar article on cnn.com
what a joke!
folks will do ANYTHING to be able to continue to call LOW CARBING a fad!

--
rosie

"Jim Bard" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Wild Irish Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > none given said
> >>"...some correspondence from alcoholics who
> >>found their alcohol cravings virtually disappear
> >>after going low carb. She had also spoken of
> >>relatives who found their alcohol addiction
> >>turned into a sugar addiction when they dried >out."

> > ah HA! I KNEW it! YES, every ex-drinker I ever knew became a sugar
> > freak. Im becoming convinced tha the very basis of alcoholism MAY

be
> > grounded in a carb/sugar "intolerance".
> >

> > ~WIR~

> Just as a side note, I saw on Fox News Network earlier today a news

story
> that said that low-carb was out and low-sugar was in, now. And I

wondered
> what the hell they thought sugar WAS? I just kind of got the

impression
> that nobody had done much research on the story (and I generally love

Fox
> News).

"Jim Bard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Just as a side note, I saw on Fox News Network earlier today a news story
> that said that low-carb was out and low-sugar was in, now. And I wondered
> what the hell they thought sugar WAS? I just kind of got the impression
> that nobody had done much research on the story (and I generally love Fox
> News).

If you've read the nutrition panel on some of those products you know
'low-sugar' means the **** is often just as high in carbs as the regular
product, it just has a different balance of poisons, and usually a higher
price.

--

Wild Irish Rose wrote:

> "None Given" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>"For people with carbohydrate intolerance,
>>insulin is the major driving force
>>in increasing appetite and hijacking the satiety
>>response."

> I have suspected for years that sugar is at the bottom of my problems,
> including the desire for alcohol. I notice I only want a "drink" or
> glass of wine when my stomach is empty---the thought of having an
> alcoholic beverage after eating never enters my mind. I expect the real
> deal is, when my blood sugar is low, I interpret this as the "gee, I
> think I'll have some wine" impulse.
>
> Funny thing is....that first glass leads to the inevitable, "gee, I
> think I'll have ANOTHER glass" feeling. After the second glass, Im not
> hungry for a couple of hours. (I expect that's when my blood sugar
> plummets again)
>
> Im looking foreward to seeing if my desire for alcohol goes away when I
> discontinue sugar bread, rice and pasta.....?
>
> anybody have any experience with this?
>
> ~WIR~

Yep. That pretty much describes my relationship with alcohol. I have
to be really careful if I'm going to drink something that it's not at
all sweet. Bourbon on the rocks is usually safe. Bourbon with vermouth
isn't.

brigid

"None Given" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jim Bard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Just as a side note, I saw on Fox News Network earlier today a news story
>> that said that low-carb was out and low-sugar was in, now. And I
>> wondered
>> what the hell they thought sugar WAS? I just kind of got the impression
>> that nobody had done much research on the story (and I generally love Fox
>> News).

> If you've read the nutrition panel on some of those products you know
> 'low-sugar' means the **** is often just as high in carbs as the regular
> product, it just has a different balance of poisons, and usually a higher
> price.
>
> --
> No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

You're right. In fact, often HIGHER in carbs. It's a marketing attempt to
play on the fears of people lacking education in nutrition. Much like those
popups caused by some spyware that say "Warning! Your computer may be at
risk!"

Most of those products are grain or rice products with enhanced flavoring
and/or sweetener of some kind aimed at promoting health while, in fact,
having little "healthy" about them. Being "fortified" with vitamins means
you won't have to take a vitamin pill if your natural diet doesn't cover
your needs. Given a nation that is slowly (but surely) coming to terms with
the fact that obesity is an ever-growing problem, I see some of these
companies facing huge losses in the not distant future.

I went grocery shopping today. Besides the fresh veggies I normally buy, I
got an artichoke (never have had one, thought I should try it). The young
man at the cash register didn't know what it was. I told him it was an
artichoke. He ignored me and turned to the young woman sacking the
groceries and asked her if she knew what it was. She looked at it
quizically, and asked "Is it an acorn?"

Not even in Texas do acorns get THAT big!

I did convince him it was an artichoke, he looked it up on a sheet under the
cash register, and rang it up correctly.

I have a suspicion that either of these young people could look at a
McDonalds burger and a Burger King burger and tell you without hesitation
which was which.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jim Bard wrote:
>> "Wild Irish Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > none given said
>> >
>> > ah HA! I KNEW it! YES, every ex-drinker I ever knew became a

> sugar
>> > freak. Im becoming convinced tha the very basis of alcoholism MAY

> be
>> > grounded in a carb/sugar "intolerance".
>> >

>> > ~WIR~

>> Just as a side note, I saw on Fox News Network earlier today a news

> story
>> that said that low-carb was out and low-sugar was in, now. And I

> wondered
>> what the hell they thought sugar WAS? I just kind of got the

> impression
>> that nobody had done much research on the story (and I generally love

> Fox
>> News).

> I've seen several articles and/or press releases about how low-carb is
> out and the new fad now is low-GI.?! Strange, eh?
>
> TC

LOL!! Yes, quite strange. Considering that many consider a general
low-carb diet to be a shotgun approach to weight control, and glycemic
indexing to be a method of fine-tuning it. I don't personally use the gi,
but I do understand the potential merits of doing so.

> man at the cash register didn't know what it was. I told him it was an
> artichoke. He ignored me and turned to the young woman sacking the
> groceries and asked her if she knew what it was. She looked at it
> quizically, and asked "Is it an acorn?"
>
> Not even in Texas do acorns get THAT big!
>
> I did convince him it was an artichoke, he looked it up on a sheet under

the
> cash register, and rang it up correctly.
>
> I have a suspicion that either of these young people could look at a
> McDonalds burger and a Burger King burger and tell you without hesitation
> which was which.

I've had the kids at the grocery store ring up lettuce when I was buying a
mess of greens.

--

In a previous article, Alice Faber <[email protected]> said:

>I've several times had checkout clerks *insist* on giving me radicchio
>for $0.49/lb (the price for red cabbage).

Whereas, I wouldn't give you a nickel for it.

Vicki
--
Of all the stupid things I've done, this is certainly the most recent.
- Chris Clarke