or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Muni tire pressure

post #1 of 19
Whats your tire pressure ratio / to tube rating on your Muni ...>?

I been meaning to ask this for awhile and never remember to do
so,.,...

When I watch the vids ,,, looks like the tire pressure is just enough
not to grind the rims ... ?
(just an observation)

This looks to give a better lift when hopping ...?

Do you typically adjust tire pressure to what your riding conditions
will be ...?

oh,,, and what does the infamous 'UPD' acronym translate too ...?

--
DigitalDave - scabless

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
post #2 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

UPD = Un-planned Dismount

The tire preasure depends upon the type of riding, width of tire and the
rider weight.

--
UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Re: Muni tire pressure

thanks Kenny

that's a usefull answer

so, a 145lb rider has 14.5 psi,,, on a max psi tire rating of ...?
(for your 24x3)

--
DigitalDave - scabless

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
post #4 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
> *A fairly good rule of thumb which works for all my Muni riding
> friends with 24x3 tires down here is about 1 psi for each 10 pounds of
> body weight . *

That would amount to about 14 psi for me.... That seems a bit low,
doesn't it?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!
post #5 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
> *
>
> A fairly good rule of thumb which works for all my Muni riding friends
> with 24x3 tires down here is about 1 psi for each 10 pounds of body
> weight . *

I hadn't heard that before, but it seems right for me. I'm around 150
and I ride at 15 PSI.

--
One on one - Hooked on fun fix

"I don't care who you are, that's funny!" Larry the Cable Guy
One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
post #6 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

The ideal tire pressure for muni depends on a lot of different factors.
It depends on rider weight, stiffness of the tire, what tire you're
using, how new the tire is, what tube you're using, what rim you're
using, your riding style, the terrain on the trail, how rocky and rooty
the trail is, and other factors. There is no set rule for tire pressure
that will hold for everyone for every situation.

I typically ride with something between 16 psi and 22 psi. It all
depends on the trail and whether I remember to check the pressure before
the ride.

The basic concern is that you want enough air in the tire to keep from
getting pinch flats. You also want enough air in the tire so the tire
doesn't fold over when doing side hops or when pecking up a hill.

Here's a set of guidelines or a heuristic to help in determining ideal
tire pressure. This is a list that I posted back in 2000 and has been
copied to the 'tips section of Muniac Manor'
(http://www.muniac.com/tips.htm#pressure)

1) Ride right into a root or a similar obstacle. Don't try to hop over
it, just ride right into it and try to roll over it. If the wheel
bounces back instead of rolling over the root consider lowering the tire
pressure. If you lose traction on the root consider lowering the tire
pressure.

2) Side hop up a hill. If the tire folds over increase the tire
pressure. Wider rims also help prevent the tire from folding over. Tires
with stiffer sidewalls (like the Intense DH tires) are less likely to
fold over than tires with softer sidewalls.

3) Hop and jump on a log or similar obstacle perpendicular to its length
(the length of the log will be to your left and right). Pick a log that
is about 6" or less in diameter. A parking lot divider will also work.
If the tire bottoms out then increase the tire pressure.

4) If you get pitched off the MUni during a ride because the tire
bounced backwards (or upwards) after hitting an obstacle instead of
rolling over the obstacle consider lowering the tire pressure.

5) If you are going to be riding on fire roads or other similar "easy"
trails consider increasing the tire pressure to decrease rolling
resistance.

6) If you lose traction during a ride consider lowering the tire
pressure.

7) If you ever get a pinch flat consider increasing the tire pressure.
Also look for a thicker tube like the Intense DH tubes.

In the end it all depends on the rider, the terrain, and the style of
riding. The pressure that works for me may not be the pressure that
works for you.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
post #7 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

I think that should go into unicycle.2ya.com

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
Seatpost and rail adapter
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job
post #8 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

So do i.

--
forrestunifreak - You can agree with me,or be wrong.

"Old enough to know better,young enough not to care."

"You cant take it with you,so unicycle now."

"I dont suffer from insanity.
I love every minute of it."
-Me.
post #9 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

Like like #3...

Seems that a would be good to see if your going to grind the rim.

Xmas is comming,,, and I havent bought myself a toy in a long time...

I want to ride it in the snow in front of that sculpture I showed
everyone on virgin snow

--
DigitalDave - scabless

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
post #10 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:28:06 -0600, "onetrack" wrote:

>John,
>You should write a book.

The collected wisdom stored in past rsu messages constitutes at least
one good book, probably many good books. If such book(s) were
compiled, JC would appear to be a major author of it, probably topping
the list.

Kudos to the knowledge of JC and his continued willingness to share!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I figure it's pretty clear that offroad unicycling is a stupid thing to do - joemarshall
post #11 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:28:06 -0600, "onetrack" wrote:
>
> >John,
> >You should write a book.

> The collected wisdom stored in past rsu messages constitutes at least
> one good book, probably many good books. If such book(s) were
> compiled, JC would appear to be a major author of it, probably topping
> the list.
>
> Kudos to the knowledge of JC and his continued willingness to share!
>
> Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict *

That post was quick and easy. It was just a cut and paste job from
Muniac Manor.

I'm not the best one to write a book. I'd be more interested in reading
a book or watching a How To video by Kris Holm than reading a book by
me. Kris has so much more to offer in terms of knowledge than I do.
Kris can cover everything from the history of muni and trials, to
technique, maintenance, and the nitty gritty of equipment development
and the evolution of equipment.

If I do anything I should consider working on a FAQ, but then I'd have
to take time off from reading the group so I'd have time to do it. And
I also dislike writing formal documents. It's much easier to write a
post here than to write something more formal like a FAQ.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
post #12 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

Aside from what others have so far said, I learned this from riding and
carefuly watching others ride on the rocky terrain up in Santa Barbara.

After fiddling with tire pressure for quite a while, I now try and keep
the highest pressure I can and still roll over all the rocks and stick
onto oblique surfaces on hops. The reason is that a real mushy tire
basically turns your Mnui into a straight line rig, and dexterity and
turning ability is key on some single tracks, especially those littered
with rocks. When watching others, at least half the upd's are bacause
someone couldn't pull a quick turn or weave through stuff (you can't hop
over everything) because the Muni was so unresponsive owing to a super
low tire pressure.

I spent an hour on a long stair set sarting with a super high tire
pressure and kept lowering it till I could ride without jaring my bones
and at 210 pounds, that was about 23 lbs. A little rougher ride, but
much more dexterity.

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Re: Muni tire pressure

Thanks ALOT for all the great information within your replies !
(and your patience with my silly questions too)

--
DigitalDave - scabless

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
post #14 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

vivalargo wrote:
> *After fiddling with tire pressure for quite a while, I now try and
> keep the highest pressure I can and still roll over all the rocks and
> stick onto oblique surfaces on hops. The reason is that a real mushy
> tire basically turns your Mnui into a straight line rig, and dexterity
> and turning ability is key on some single tracks, especially those
> littered with rocks. *

What tire(s) are people using there in Santa Barbara? The Duro tire has
a different profile than the 24" Gazz. The 26" Gazz has a different
tread than the 24" Gazz. All tires are different.

I've found the 24" Gazz to be plenty maneuverable. I've also got a
unicycle with the 26x3 Gazz and I found that tire to be a straight line
rig -- It doesn't like to turn at all. I haven't tried the Duro tire or
any other 3" wide tire to offer other comparisons. The profile of the
Duro tire looks like it would be good for maneuverability even when soft
and mushy, but I haven't actually tried it so I could be wrong.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
post #15 of 19

Re: Muni tire pressure

Hope you all don't mind if I go a wee bit astray here: How do you choose
best wheelsize for muni? Beside the fact that a 26" rim will roll a
little longer on each revolution than a 24" and a 26" rim (perhaps)
gives you a greater variety of tyres to choose from – what other factors
rule when you decide which wheelsize to use? I would expect a 26" with a
3" Gazza to be pretty heavy for hopping, and also quite doughy to idle
with, especially when deflated to the pressures we are talking about
here. Or?

--
goldenchicken - What's a newbie?
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149