Roof rack for tandem?

Claire Petersky

> Atoc does make a very fine product called the "Tandem Topper" and it is
> the only fork-mount unit I could recommend. The Tandem Topper (unlike
> the version shown on the Nashbar site) has a _pivoting_ fork mount.
>
> To use it, you rear the tandem up on its back wheel and connect the fork
> to the rack while the tandem's weight is still resting on the rear tire.
> Once the fork is secured, you .lift and swing the back of the tandem
> up and into the tray. This is vastly easier than using a fixed fork
> mount, and can be accomplished by one person of average height with no
> problems.
>
> See: http://harriscyclery.com/atoc-frame.html

"No problems", eh? I have this style of tandem rack, made by Thule. It is
non-trival for me, who has a relatively short wheelbased tandem with
fenders, and has arms no stronger than a chicken's instep, to use this style
rack. At the very least, it takes the stoker steadying the rear wheel of the
bike on a step stool while I secure the fork while trying not to fret that
the fenders are being deformed again.

Maybe it was just because it was late, dark, and raining, and we were tired,
but my daughter and I had a little scene last night around 9:20 PM trying to
get the &%$#@ tandem up on the rack. It was precisely because the fork mount
swivels around that I struggled and struggled trying to get the fork on --
it would just slip out of place as I would just almost get the fork in.
Meanwhile, Rose was hyperventilating and grunting trying to keep the rear
wheel in place on the step stool, and not have it fall off and on to her.

Finally, somehow I got the bike up on top of the car, just simply not at all
in the rack. I then did what I've done before in this situation -- shed my
jacket and shoes, and clammered on to the roof of the Subaru. From that
position, standing on the roof, I could hoist the bike up entirely into the
rack, and then, I thought, secure the fork into the mount. I was pretty well
sopped through, but sitting on my daughter's soaking wet gloves left on the
driver's seat as I got behind the wheel was just a little frosting on my
cake.

We pulled out of the parking lot and I heard a thump. I stopped the car. In
my fatigue in the dark, I had the swivel mount pinned into place 180 degrees
from the position it was supposed to be in. I got the step stool out again,
and this time I climbed up to its top step, pulled the fork out, turned the
swivel mount around into the proper position, resecured the pin and drove
home.

My husband, bless his heart, took the bike off for us when we got home.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

I am looking for a roof rack component to carry our tandem. I have a
Yakima roof rack, and saw this ATOC Bike Topper Tandem/Recumbent/Single
Bike Carrier at Nashbar. Here's the link:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11385&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

It's about $125 less than the one that Yakima makes. I don't know whether
this one allows you to load it easily.

Any recommendations for or against this rack?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

David L. Johnson wrote:
<snip>
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11385&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
<snip>
> Any recommendations for or against this rack?

<snip>

Does it really only have the QR to hold the forks and a strap to keep
the back wheel on the "beam"?
Doesn't seem like enough to hold the bike securely...

Any models I've used before have some rigid fitting holding on to one
crank arm, or around the BB area anyway.

Or perhaps there's more attachment points that I can't see in the
photo.

Anyway, for extra security, I use a ratchet tie-down strap from one end
of the roof bar (ie the bar that goes left to right across the width of
the car), a few turns around the seat post, and down to the other end
of the roof bar.

bookieb.

[email protected] wrote:
> David L. Johnson wrote:
> <snip>

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11385&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
> <snip>
> > Any recommendations for or against this rack?

> <snip>
>
> Does it really only have the QR to hold the forks and a strap to keep
> the back wheel on the "beam"?
> Doesn't seem like enough to hold the bike securely...
>
> Any models I've used before have some rigid fitting holding on to one
> crank arm, or around the BB area anyway.

FWIW, we've carried our tandem for years in a rack that held just the
front forks and the rear wheel, in exactly the same way as that one in
the pictures.

Ours isn't that one, however. I actually made a tandem adapter for our
ancient roof rack. It worked the same way, though, and worked fine.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > David L. Johnson wrote:
> > <snip>

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11385&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
> > <snip>
> > > Any recommendations for or against this rack?

> > <snip>
> >
> > Does it really only have the QR to hold the forks and a strap to

keep
> > the back wheel on the "beam"?
> > Doesn't seem like enough to hold the bike securely...
> >
> > Any models I've used before have some rigid fitting holding on to

one
> > crank arm, or around the BB area anyway.

> FWIW, we've carried our tandem for years in a rack that held just the
> front forks and the rear wheel, in exactly the same way as that one

in
> the pictures.
>
> Ours isn't that one, however. I actually made a tandem adapter for

our
> ancient roof rack. It worked the same way, though, and worked fine.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Fair 'nuff so. I bow to your practical experience.
Just surprised...

bookieb

David L. Johnson wrote:
> I am looking for a roof rack component to carry our tandem....

There's a reason the minivan was invented!

HTH
--Karen M.

[email protected] wrote:

> Does it really only have the QR to hold the forks and a strap to keep
> the back wheel on the "beam"?
> Doesn't seem like enough to hold the bike securely...

Works fine. You can easily make a tandem rail out of 2"x3" aluminium
tubing, some U bolts, an old front axle and your local welder if you
don't have one. It's easy and shouldn't cost more than about $25 or $30
and an afternoon's time. One tip: put a sleeve inside the tubing to
reinforce the axle so it won't crush the tubing when you tighten it.
Just use a couple of toe straps to hold the rear wheel on the rail.
I've traveled many miles with this arrangement.
Phil Brown

David L. Johnson wrote:

> I am looking for a roof rack component to carry our tandem. I have a
> Yakima roof rack, and saw this ATOC Bike Topper Tandem/Recumbent/Single
> Bike Carrier at Nashbar. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=11385&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

We too sell the Atoc racks, but I really don't recommend that model.
The fork mount units are tough enough to load with a single, but with
the extra weight of a tandem, getting the fork on and off of the mount
is non trivial unless you have two tall people to work together.

Fork mount racks very commonly ruin forks, it only takes one careless
installation where one of the fork ends doesn't get secured.

Atoc does make a very fine product called the "Tandem Topper" and it is
the only fork-mount unit I could recommend. The Tandem Topper (unlike
the version shown on the Nashbar site) has a _pivoting_ fork mount.

To use it, you rear the tandem up on its back wheel and connect the fork
to the rack while the tandem's weight is still resting on the rear tire.
Once the fork is secured, you .lift and swing the back of the tandem
up and into the tray. This is vastly easier than using a fixed fork
mount, and can be accomplished by one person of average height with no
problems.

See: http://harriscyclery.com/atoc-frame.html

If you're looking for a cheap and good tandem mount, I'd recommend
getting the style that uses a full-length tray to hold both wheels, with
a swing-up arm that grabs the down tube. That's what I use, with the
wheel-tray extended to handle the extra wheelbase of the tandems.

There's a not too detailed photo at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/que-gaspe_photos.html#capauxos

Sheldon "Tandems" Brown
| The less you bet, the more you lose if you win |
| --Alan Rudolph (_Trixie_) |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:35:14 +0930, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>"No problems", eh? I have this style of tandem rack, made by Thule. It is
>non-trival for me, who has a relatively short wheelbased tandem with
>fenders, and has arms no stronger than a chicken's instep, to use this style
>rack.

LOL! I use a standard Pendle with extended bar to hold our double
childback triplet, which must weigh 50lb bone dry. Every time I lift
it onto the roof of the car I thank God that Volvos have low
rooflines!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

philcycles wrote:

> Works fine. You can easily make a tandem rail out of 2"x3" aluminium
> tubing, some U bolts, an old front axle and your local welder if you
> don't have one. It's easy and shouldn't cost more than about $25 or

$30
> and an afternoon's time. One tip: put a sleeve inside the tubing to
> reinforce the axle so it won't crush the tubing when you tighten it.
> Just use a couple of toe straps to hold the rear wheel on the rail.
> I've traveled many miles with this arrangement.

Aluminum? Oh, no!

I made mine out of 1 1/4" steel tubing. That made it responsive, yet
resilient. Aluminum tubing, as everyone knows, is just too harsh. But
I'm saving up to make my next tandem rail out of carbon fiber. It will
magically absorb those annoying high-frequency oscillations and keep
them from making my tandem frame go soft.

;-)

- Frank Krygowski

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Atoc does make a very fine product called the "Tandem Topper" and it is
> > the only fork-mount unit I could recommend. The Tandem Topper (unlike
> > the version shown on the Nashbar site) has a _pivoting_ fork mount.
> >
> > To use it, you rear the tandem up on its back wheel and connect the fork
> > to the rack while the tandem's weight is still resting on the rear tire.
> > Once the fork is secured, you .lift and swing the back of the tandem
> > up and into the tray. This is vastly easier than using a fixed fork
> > mount, and can be accomplished by one person of average height with no
> > problems.
> >
> > See: http://harriscyclery.com/atoc-frame.html

> "No problems", eh? I have this style of tandem rack, made by Thule. It is
> non-trival for me, who has a relatively short wheelbased tandem with
> fenders, and has arms no stronger than a chicken's instep, to use this style
> rack. At the very least, it takes the stoker steadying the rear wheel of the
> bike on a step stool while I secure the fork while trying not to fret that
> the fenders are being deformed again.

[Long sad tale of woe excised]

Chaplain's up the hall. He'll punch your TS card.

--
Michael Press

Dave Reckoning wrote in message ...

>Claire, I have discovered through expierence that it is easier to remove

the
>fenders before mounting than to mount my single bike on a roof rack with

the
>fenders installed. The SKS fenders have these nice little break-away
>thingies that you mount to the fork eyelet and they let you remove and
>re-attach the braces very easly. I also use a long bolt that sticks out

from
>the back of the fork crown with a nice vibration nut on it as well. Removal
>and installation takes about 3 Min. each.

Well, it's a thought, anyway.

I was looking at the fenders on the tandem after our ride today, and there
was pulverized, stuck-on slug guts hanging off the back of the front fender,
always a joy to deal with.

When is it going to stop raining on the weekends? Huh? Huh? Huh? Then I
could just take the fenders off once and for all!

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr­al/Cpetersky

Claire Petersky wrote:
> I was looking at the fenders on the tandem after our ride today, and

there
> was pulverized, stuck-on slug guts hanging off the back of the front

fender,

I was just going to go get some dinner. Think I will wait now.

Pulverized slug guts???? Need to get that thought out of my head. Go
thought...go now.

Maggie

botfood wrote:
> With a Honda Odyssey you don't even have to take the tires off! There
> is just enough room to roll a tandem in right down the middle...

And then there's the Counter/Viewpoint option...

http://home.earthlink.net/~veloise/vanback3.jpg

with room for some heavy metal, too!

HTH

--Karen M.