New FAQ topic - bike noise checklist/brake squeal

Ant

Guest
Howdy. It seems like everyday there is a new post about a frustrating bike creak/tick/knock, and
every other day a frustrating squealing brake. The FAQ doesnt have much in teh way of practical
advice here.

Yes, I know that it always boils down to 'find every possible interface, starting with the big ones,
and grease and tighten them', but everyone always has such good things to say.

I would like to compile two new FAQ entries. Or actually, one new entry on bike noise diagnosis, and
an addition to the technical entry on brake squeal. Would you help? If you post your weird bike
noise, and how you fixed it, ill compile a complete list and make it coherent. any other thoguhts
you have on the matter woudl be good too. the more detail the better.

i know some, and have nailed quite a few noises in my time, but the cumulative knolegde of this
group out-diagnoses me a 100 to 1. things to prod your electronic pen:

-what differentiates a tick, knock, or creak. causes. -metal-metal combinations that are known for
creaking and what to do (Ti spindles, etc) -priorities. what to check first -weird noises that one
might never think to check, like plastic/rail interface in saddle and crossed spokes, etc

same for brake squeal. the current faq has a good technical article, and words on toe in and rim
machining/roughening. hwoever, ive heard many good things about certain pads, certain brakes being
predisposed, certain combinations, certain riding habits that bring about squeal, and an additional
word on how to take care of disc squeal would be in order, I think.

help me out? just take a sec to throw something onto the group, ill write it all up in a week. i
know that everything is all in the archives somewhere, but sifting through hundreds and hundreds and
hundreds of redundant posts wont make this project go faster.

thanks,

anthony (who hopes there isnt an article covering all this in the faq that he missed)

"ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy. It seems like everyday there is a new post about a frustrating bike creak/tick/knock, and
> every other day a frustrating squealing brake. The FAQ doesnt have much in teh way of practical
> advice here.
>
> Yes, I know that it always boils down to 'find every possible interface, starting with the big
> ones, and grease and tighten them', but everyone always has such good things to say.
>
> I would like to compile two new FAQ entries. Or actually, one new entry on bike noise diagnosis,
> and an addition to the technical entry on brake squeal. Would you help? If you post your weird
> bike noise, and how you fixed it, ill compile a complete list and make it coherent. any other
> thoguhts you have on the matter woudl be good too. the more detail the better.
>
> i know some, and have nailed quite a few noises in my time, but the cumulative knolegde of this
> group out-diagnoses me a 100 to 1. things to prod your electronic pen:
>
> -what differentiates a tick, knock, or creak. causes. -metal-metal combinations that are known for
> creaking and what to do (Ti spindles, etc) -priorities. what to check first -weird noises that one
> might never think to check, like plastic/rail interface in saddle and crossed spokes, etc
>

> same for brake squeal. the current faq has a good technical article, and words on toe in and rim
> machining/roughening. hwoever, ive heard many good things about certain pads, certain brakes being
> predisposed, certain combinations, certain riding habits that bring about squeal, and an
> additional word on how to take care of disc squeal would be in order, I think.
>
> help me out? just take a sec to throw something onto the group, ill write it all up in a week. i
> know that everything is all in the archives somewhere, but sifting through hundreds and hundreds
> and hundreds of redundant posts wont make this project go faster.

One more common noise nowadays is an unlubricated derailleur pulley bushing. Shimano ceramic sleeves
whine at a different pitch than the steel ones. Steel pulley sleeves exhibit a remarkably bright red
rust, not brown . A small amount of either grease or oil cures that. You'll need to disassemble each
pulley as the dust covers keep oil (but not water!) out.

Shimano left side hub rubber seals found on the MTB series can also moan when dry. The boot stays on
the axle spacer and drags lightly on the hubshell. A drop of oil quiets them.

ant wrote:

> same for brake squeal. the current faq has a good technical article, and words on toe in and rim
> machining/roughening. hwoever, ive heard many good things about certain pads, certain brakes being
> predisposed, certain combinations, certain riding habits that bring about squeal, and an
> additional word on how to take care of disc squeal would be in order, I think.

When you have tried every toe in angle and every available pad color but the pain will not
go away::::

-Observe the wheel from above in very good light. -Very slowly apply brakes. -Carefully check if the
wheel deflects slightly in one direction as a result of one pad applying more force than the other
just_when_ they_ hit.

This can happen even though the pad standoff appears equal and the pads seem to move evenly. ....
adjust pads to stop this.