how close would it have to be

Guess Who

Guest
How close would the race have to be on Sunday for the last stage to actually be a race, rather than
a procession and a sprinter finish?

"guess who" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> How close would the race have to be on Sunday for the last stage to
actually
> be a race, rather than a procession and a sprinter finish?

From what I remember, there's an unwritten rule that says the last stage is a procession for the
Maillot Jaune rather than a "real" stage. If you're going for the Green Jersey, all bets are off.

Mike

"guess who" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> How close would the race have to be on Sunday for the last stage to actually be a race, rather
> than a procession and a sprinter finish?

I think it would have to be very close. Like less than 30 seconds. I mean think about it; it's a
short stage, no major (or even minor) climbs, so no opportunities to attack really...just the sprint
at the end. For all intents and purposes, I expect the time trial to be the final showdown.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:13:51 GMT, "guess who" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How close would the race have to be on Sunday for the last stage to actually be a race, rather than
>a procession and a sprinter finish?

It's decided on Saturday - how could it be otherwise?

Regards! Stephen

"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:13:51 GMT, "guess who" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How close would the race have to be on Sunday for the last stage to
actually
> >be a race, rather than a procession and a sprinter finish?
> >
> It's decided on Saturday - how could it be otherwise?
>
> Regards! Stephen

If the race was within a few seconds. how couldn't the person behind by a few seconds (especially
now that we have time bonuses) at least give it a try? What a 100th anniversary race it would be if
there was actually competition on the last day!

The race has been won on the last day in past years.