First triathlon - MTB ok?

delfi4

Guest
Hi, I'm plannig my first (mini) triathlon this july. Since I only have a MTB
I'm wondering if I can use this one for the race. Would it be suitable with
some flat profile tyres (for the road)? Do I lose a lot on
aerodynamics/speed compared with a racing (road) bike?
Thanks for your advices

Many people do their first tri on a MTB. Slicks help but cannot make up for
the advantage a decent road/tri bike with tri bars gives you. If this is
your first tri then aim to finish it and enjoy it. If you get the bug then
get a new bike!

news:[email protected]...

"delfi4" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hi, I'm plannig my first (mini) triathlon this july. Since I only have
> a MTB I'm wondering if I can use this one for the race. Would it be
> suitable with some flat profile tyres (for the road)? Do I lose a lot
> on aerodynamics/speed compared with a racing (road) bike?
> Thanks for your advices

Absolutely! Yes, you will be less aero, and the bike will be slightly
heavier than a purpose-built tri bike, but it's your first race. I'm
assuming that your goals for this race are something like:

- Improve fitness in all three events
- Finish
- Finish in good enough shape to smile for the photo at the line.

If you decide that you want to continue racing triathlons, you'll want to
consider an upgrade down the road. But your mountain bike is perfectly
acceptable, and you won't be the only one riding one.

Tom

>Hi, I'm plannig my first (mini) triathlon this july. Since I only have a MTB
>I'm wondering if I can use this one for the race. Would it be suitable with
>some flat profile tyres (for the road)? Do I lose a lot on
>aerodynamics/speed compared with a racing (road) bike?

As others have said, you'll be fine on a MTB. I've done four tri's on
my old heavy MTB (it wasn't old for the first couple) and have just
now upgraded to a road bike. The difference in speed is considerable,
but I did indeed finish those tri's in fine shape.

--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll go for it with my MTB then (with road
profile tyres).
I'm feeling more confident about it now.
delfi4

Make sure you find a set of slicks that allow you to inflate to at least
75-80 psi. The gain in speed from 50 to 80 psi is very significant. You
can't gain much above that on a MTB tire. Also look for tires that are no
more than 1.5 in width. You can find these for around $20 each.

Good luck.

"delfi4" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll go for it with my MTB then (with road
> profile tyres).
> I'm feeling more confident about it now.
> delfi4

"delfi4" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I'm plannig my first (mini) triathlon this july. Since I only have a MTB
>I'm wondering if I can use this one for the race. Would it be suitable with
>some flat profile tyres (for the road)? Do I lose a lot on
>aerodynamics/speed compared with a racing (road) bike?
>Thanks for your advices

Not only is it OK, but some races even have a separate division for
MTB bikes to race in.

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"