Replace honey with sugar in bread recipes?

Ken Knecht

Guest
Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty." Nietzche

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.

Honey has about twice the sweetening power of sugar.

Sheldon

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 07:22:29a, Ken Knecht wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
>
> TIA

Yes. There should be little difference in baking results.

Having said that, you can measure honey or other syrups easily if you first
oil or grease the spoon or cup you're using to measure. The honey will flow
right out of the spoon or cup, right to the last drop.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
>
> TIA

I inter-change the 2 all the time. As far as amounts I just use about
the same of either although the amount is pretty irrelevant. Its not
really a essential ingredient. What I do do though is add a dollop of
vinegar and it seems to help keep it fresher longer.

Ken Knecht wrote:

> Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
>
> TIA

I don't see why not. I replace white sugar with the same amount of
honey all the time since I avoid white sugar. It should woukd in
reverse without problem. To make honey easier to measure, you could try
using a squeeze bottle of honey. I buy honey from a local beekeeper.
Some of it gets transferred to a squeeze bottle for easier handling.

"Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
>
> TIA

Yes, you can. You may have to add a smidge more of water to compensate
for the liquid lost. Just do the regular recipe and a direct exchange and
then watch how it goes the first time.
Janet

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:22:29 GMT, Ken Knecht wrote:

> Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.

I agree with the posters who said they use honey and sugar
interchangeably. Additionally, I like the taste of honey better, even
though it's not a huge taste difference for me.

My caution to you is that honey is a liquid and sugar isn't so you
need to adjust the amount of liquid you add accordingly. If you were
making bread by hand (or food processor) it's a no brainer, but you're
using a bread machine - so good luck!

sf wrote:
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>
> > Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> > sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> > measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
> >

> I agree with the posters who said they use honey and sugar
> interchangeably. Additionally, I like the taste of honey better, even
> though it's not a huge taste difference for me.
>
> My caution to you is that honey is a liquid and sugar isn't so you
> need to adjust the amount of liquid you add accordingly.

Nope. In baking sugar counts as a liquid, so do not add liquid when
using sugar, in fact if anything when substiting with honey it may be a
good idea to subtract liquid... by weight honey has twice the
sweetening power of sugar, so use half as much... they are not equally
interchangeable... probably won't notice in small quantities like a
spoonful in a whole loaf of bread but if a cake calls for a cup of
sugar and you use a cup of honey instead be prepared for a suprise.
Honey and sugar are sold by weight, not volume.

Sheldon

On 7 Jun 2005 08:31:21 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Ken Knecht wrote:
> >
> > > Can I replace honey in a bread (machine) recipe with the same amount of
> > > sugar with little change in the result? I find honey very difficult to
> > > measure and handle and, anyway, am not that crazy about the taste.
> > >

> > I agree with the posters who said they use honey and sugar
> > interchangeably. Additionally, I like the taste of honey better, even
> > though it's not a huge taste difference for me.
> >
> > My caution to you is that honey is a liquid and sugar isn't so you
> > need to adjust the amount of liquid you add accordingly.

> Nope. In baking sugar counts as a liquid, so do not add liquid when
> using sugar, in fact if anything when substiting with honey it may be a
> good idea to subtract liquid... by weight honey has twice the
> sweetening power of sugar, so use half as much... they are not equally
> interchangeable... probably won't notice in small quantities like a
> spoonful in a whole loaf of bread but if a cake calls for a cup of
> sugar and you use a cup of honey instead be prepared for a suprise.
> Honey and sugar are sold by weight, not volume.
>
> Sheldon

I usually make bread/rolls with honey, not sugar. However, I'm not
someone who is tied to a "recipe" so I go by general proportions and
adjust as needed.